It's the Socks and Sandals Thread

torrzent

14 minutes ago, digbeth said:

What's worse, sandals with socks or no shirts beyond 2nd road?

It depends on who's watching and what's on display. I saw a scantily clad foreign lady walking across 3rd Road and none of the Thai (male) observers were complaining LOL. Conversely, if you had an underwear model physique with the requisite 6 pack, you'd have your admirers well east of 2nd Road. 

28 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
31 minutes ago, tropo said:
Sunblock on sweaty feet? LOL> I'd rather use socks at the risk of upsetting the fashionados. I'm sure many readers are part of the white socks/sandal brigade and taking notes.

You have sweaty feet with sandals? Maybe see a Dr

LOL> ignorant. Sunblock tends to be greasy, so they'll feel greasy and ALL people sweat from the feet in hot weather so the greasy layer will trap in the sweat and mix with it. I don't wear sandals, but that's irrelevant. If I wore sandals and had a UV risk to the feet, I'd choose socks over covering them with sunblock. 

Edited by tropo

2 hours ago, tropo said:

Sunblock on sweaty feet? LOL> I'd rather use socks at the risk of upsetting the fashionados. I'm sure many readers are part of the white socks/sandal brigade and taking notes.

why only white ones?  Is that considered more fashionable than the many I have seen with dark ones?

15 hours ago, tropo said:

LOL> ignorant. Sunblock tends to be greasy, so they'll feel greasy and ALL people sweat from the feet in hot weather so the greasy layer will trap in the sweat and mix with it. I don't wear sandals, but that's irrelevant. If I wore sandals and had a UV risk to the feet, I'd choose socks over covering them with sunblock. 

what about when it rains.  walking through all those puddles or even light splashing has got to ruin the objective of whatever this odd habit is, not to mention being extremely unhygienic

One thing is for sure, Charlie never wore socks with his Ho Chi Minh sandals, I think I'll go with him on this one

image.png.0efd8a30e5638e336fcf1cec67da9858.png

Edited by torrzent

Velcro sandals or "Jesus Boots".

It is "de rigueur" (required by etiquette) by men of a certain age in Jomtien. Also.

Shirts should never be plain but of a checked pattern with sleeves ending just at elbow bending point.

The belt buckle has to segment the large paunch exactly in the middle at belly button point.

Their shorts should be ironed with a crease in them.

White socks are because, it is a well known fact that white socks are cooler on the feet than black. Reducing the chance of smelliness.

Socks also cover fungal nail infection which has been attained from 50 years of living in the UK and never having exposed one's feet to the
fresh air due to the temperate/cool climate.

Another fact but less publically stated is that they look like complete prats....................................

As for the large hat on the golf course. I use one and have my collar turned up on my shirt as the sun in Thailand is brutal on the back
of the neck and ears when bent over playing shots or putting. Take a look at how little skin the local caddies expose to the sun.

55 minutes ago, lonewolf99 said:

Velcro sandals or "Jesus Boots".

It is "de rigueur" (required by etiquette) by men of a certain age in Jomtien. Also.

Shirts should never be plain but of a checked pattern with sleeves ending just at elbow bending point.

The belt buckle has to segment the large paunch exactly in the middle at belly button point.

Their shorts should be ironed with a crease in them.

White socks are because, it is a well known fact that white socks are cooler on the feet than black. Reducing the chance of smelliness.

Socks also cover fungal nail infection which has been attained from 50 years of living in the UK and never having exposed one's feet to the
fresh air due to the temperate/cool climate.

Another fact but less publically stated is that they look like complete prats....................................

As for the large hat on the golf course. I use one and have my collar turned up on my shirt as the sun in Thailand is brutal on the back
of the neck and ears when bent over playing shots or putting. Take a look at how little skin the local caddies expose to the sun.

LOL...at some point the shorts or trousers get hiked higher and higher, so that the belly becomes the defacto support rather than the belt

we can get that duscussion going separately or included here if you wish...some food for thought

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=159505

Old men and high pants, why?

image.thumb.png.032861b5b050ba2cc0589daf02622cd4.png

LOL...at some point the shorts or trousers get hiked higher and higher, so that the belly becomes the defacto support rather than the belt
we can get that duscussion going separately or included here if you wish...some food for thought
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=159505
Old men and high pants, why?
image.thumb.png.032861b5b050ba2cc0589daf02622cd4.png
Yeah that is a common sight, maybe some guys can explain why they need to do it

"To get started, where do these people come from and is it common in their own countries?"

Guilty as charged.

I'm from the US. Is it common there? Not in the Northeast where I'm from. But I've seen the same in Florida, especially among the geriatric set.

Being from the cold Northeast, I'm used to wearing socks. If I go out  to the city I wear socks and shoes here. Around the house, barefoot or sandals. I don't like the type that go between toes, so socks do work.

If I'm going away from the house, but not as far as the city (example down the road to a neighbors house or to the local 7 Eleven), I have been known to wear socks, always white ankle socks, with sandals as an in between step from just sandals - socks and shoes. But never if there is a chance of rain or wet weather.

If further psychoanalysis is required, ask away.

Edited by ftpjtm

On 1/10/2018 at 3:36 PM, Pattaya46 said:

> To get started, where do these people come from and is it common in their own countries? 

Always thought it was a (ridiculous) way for people to show that they are British ? :unsure:

Maybe the "I love Iraq" t-shirt is not a big seller?

3 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

"To get started, where do these people come from and is it common in their own countries?"

Guilty as charged.

I'm from the US. Is it common there? Not in the Northeast where I'm from. But I've seen the same in Florida, especially among the geriatric set.

Being from the cold Northeast, I'm used to wearing socks. If I go out  to the city I wear socks and shoes here. Around the house, barefoot or sandals. I don't like the type that go between toes, so socks do work.

If I'm going away from the house, but not as far as the city (example down the road to a neighbors house or to the local 7 Eleven), I have been known to wear socks, always white ankle socks, with sandals as an in between step from just sandals - socks and shoes. But never if there is a chance of rain or wet weather.

If further psychoanalysis is required, ask away.

You are overthinking this.

On 10/01/2018 at 12:30 PM, torrzent said:

why only white ones?  Is that considered more fashionable than the many I have seen with dark ones?

You buy them in markets £2 for 3 pairs, same as check shirts they are cheap.they are not a fashion statement.

47 minutes ago, adammike said:

You buy them in markets £2 for 3 pairs, same as check shirts they are cheap.they are not a fashion statement.

The check shirts can be had for 50-100 baht outside some of the shopping places, though some may be used

15 minutes ago, torrzent said:

The check shirts can be had for 50-100 baht outside some of the shopping places, though some may be used

I bought one of those. Amazingly cheap considering the "Made in USA" label on the front, complete with red white and blue flag.

The Made in China label on the inseam probably cut the value a bit though.