It's the Socks and Sandals Thread

torrzent

Seems to be alot of farang in Pattaya sporting this odd fashion style, whether with regular sandals, tevas, or even flipflops? 

Whether you think this is the most egregious of fashion felonies or the epitome of haute couture, here is you chance to opine about all thing related to this.

To get started, where do these people come from and is it common in their own countries? 

Edited by torrzent

Why get excited about socks and sandals?

It is personal choice what you wear.

Take me for example, i never wear socks sandals, flipflops, thats my choice, apart from the fact i couldnt get socks on however hard i tried.:cheesy:

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Why get excited about socks and sandals?

It is personal choice what you wear.

Take me for example, i never wear socks sandals, flipflops, thats my choice, apart from the fact i couldnt get socks on however hard i tried.:cheesy:

Nobody said anything about getting excited.  If people wear a lampshade on their head, are others not free to comment, even though it is personal choice as you say?

25 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Nobody said anything about getting excited.  If people wear a lampshade on their head, are others not free to comment, even though it is personal choice as you say?

Joking mate, i think you missed the humour in my post, or you are not aware i am paraplegic.

Now look at my post again, you will see it differently.

Like a lot of things I tend to look the other way, to each their own.  I refuse to worry about it, now if it were me doing this odd stuff, yeah it would be worry some.  

Being from the states it would more than likely be considered “goofy”.  Kind of like the little kid in Walmart tugging on their mother, pointing and laughing at your weird get up.  Not for me but I certainly won’t lose any sleep over it.  

Edited by Roger Lee

I often walk around in real shoes , when I'm out exercising or just go to the mall ,  which means no sandals so socks for me.    But I do agree sandals in combination with socks looks a bit silly . Unless you have a good reason to hide your feet from the sun , skin diseases etc. 

12 hours ago, torrzent said:

Seems to be alot of farang in Pattaya sporting this odd fashion style, whether with regular sandals, tevas, or even flipflops? 

Whether you think this is the most egregious of fashion felonies or the epitome of haute couture, here is you chance to opine about all thing related to this.

To get started, where do these people come from and is it common in their own countries?

Probably too wet and cold for sandals in their own country.

But some olds have horrendous cracked and flaky foot skin and deformed yellow toe nails which I'd rather not see so socks are good.

Not for me though, my feet still look good naked (like the rest of me).

Edited by MaeJoMTB

You'd have to be legally blind not to notice foreigners wearing white socks with sandals... so he's either trolling, or he's blind.

I just think it's a fashion trend that's really old. My mother used to dress us up like that in the 60's when we were young children.

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Socks do look ridiculous, the other thing I've noticed at golf is when guys get over 55/60 the stupid hats come out, usually big, its like as if they just don't care anymore

Perhaps they care more about potential skin cancer issues then fashion?

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Socks do look ridiculous, the other thing I've noticed at golf is when guys get over 55/60 the stupid hats come out, usually big, its like as if they just don't care anymore

One point worth considering is that tourists and expats in Pattaya come from all over the planet and different countries have different fashion trends. For example, I noticed a lot of Russians wearing short shorts... which lead me to think how short the shorts (mid-thigh and higher) were that I used to wear in the 70's and 80's. Have a look at the old Wimbledon tennis matches. When the first long shorts came out circa 90's I used to laugh about them - I thought they looked ridiculous. Then I had my years wearing mid-calf length shorts and thought they looked cool, but now I'm back to around knee-length.

The point I'm trying to make is that not everyone would think that socks with sandals look goofy.

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, topt said:
Perhaps they care more about potential skin cancer issues then fashion?

No you can't use that as an excuse, there's sun block, you need pride. The guys actually think it looks good, must be an age thing

Sunblock on sweaty feet? LOL> I'd rather use socks at the risk of upsetting the fashionados. I'm sure many readers are part of the white socks/sandal brigade and taking notes.