Sun, sea, sand... and a £5bn sex trade: Seedy side of Brit crooks' Thai haven

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

With its idyllic beaches and crystal clear blue seas, Pattaya could be the definition of paradise

This is the only thing I can find wrong with the article its false as no crystal clear blue sea or idyllic beaches Everything else is true so why are some on here complaining?

Guys I read what you write and most of you say the same thing week after week and you live there.

The place to me is a CP, but some of us have standards and others well lets say they live in pat and leave it at that.

The reporter told it as it is.

Edited by wakeupplease

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

This is the only thing I can find wrong with the article its false as no crystal clear blue sea or idyllic beaches Everything else is true so why are some on here complaining?

Guys I read what you write and most of you say the same thing week after week and you live there.

The place to me is a CP, but some of us have standards and others well lets say they live in pat and leave it at that.

The reporter told it as it is.

Nothing like the occasional suburban pompous prig to liven up one's day.

So the only crooks here are Brits are they Daily Mirror ?

We don't see many Thai girls drunk out of their skulls , puking in the gutters and stumbling from one bar to another carrying their shoes,  with their boyfriends in tow, equally drunk , like we see the Brit slappers holidaying  in the Spanish resorts  !

Yet another Mirror   'reporter' with an in depth knowledge of life here in Thailand...not. What else can expect from this Daily Rag ? 

8 hours ago, Thian said:

There are an estimated 2.8 million prostitutes in the country, with around 40,000 of them children who are forced into selling sex.

I keep on hearing/reading this but have never seen it myself in Thailand. And those children must have parents who are Thai as well i assume.

I just wished Thailand could clean it's name about childprostitution....my wife doesn't even dare to say she's Thai when in Europe.

Stop reading what others say yes it is there but lot of it over blown. the number you quota is a bit over the top and always remember the larger number of sex workers service the Thai market

8 hours ago, webfact said:

With its idyllic beaches and crystal clear blue seas

Obviously the journalist must be confusing Pattaya with some other idyllic paradise - one that doesn't have cigarette ends in abundance mixed into the sand, rats running around and water that is not fit to step into.

6 hours ago, Mattd said:

The UK gutter press drag up the same old stories about here every so often, got to sell the papers........

These pieces sit in the long term file, to be rolled out as soon as there's an opportunity provided by a recent news item. This time it's the arrest of the British fugitive Reece Vella, previously it was the shooting of Tony Kenway last year (including the boiler room angle), before that the bust of a gogo where a Brit was caught in a short time room upstairs - leading to a huge denial and cover up attempt by the authorities here, and a subsequent proliferation of further articles.

The story says 2.5 million prostitutes but only counts 27,000 in pattaya, lets say about the same amount in Bangkok, Phuket, and Chiang Mai then only a little more than 100,000, long way from 2.5 million. You would wonder where they get their figures.

These stories show up in various newspapers around the world but nothing changes. When one person is sending money home for 3 or more people working at 7/11 isn't an option.

1 minute ago, moe666 said:

The story says 2.5 million prostitutes but only counts 27,000 in pattaya, lets say about the same amount in Bangkok, Phuket, and Chiang Mai then only a little more than 100,000, long way from 2.5 million. You would wonder where they get their figures.

These stories show up in various newspapers around the world but nothing changes. When one person is sending money home for 3 or more people working at 7/11 isn't an option.

The prostitute's catering for overseas visitors and expats is only a small proportion of the prostitution industry, The majority are servicing the Thai population, Don't hold your breath for a crackdown anytime soon.

9 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

"With its idyllic beaches and crystal clear blue seas"

"2.8 million prostitutes" 

. . the mind boggles!!!    Faker than fake !

Actually, IMHO, this is only the figure about 'full time' prostitutes (bars, karaoke, massage), not counting the double or treble of 'occasionals' after-work ladies selling their charms, ...nor the many millions making money with prostitution: the family-members living from the money sent to home(!), 'mama sans' and (upcoming) pimps, husbands/boyfriends, owners of buildings (the crazy rents!), companies delivering drinks/ice, etc., etc., not to forget the 'friendly' police officers and other officials as blind as otters, but with deep pockets...

Together, 'conservative' figures I've seen about 10 years ago showed, about 14 million persons in Thailand's main income was generated by prostitution.

More real than real, I'm afraid. ...And sadder than sad!

Edited by bangrak

I read the article and I can't see anything actually true in it other than that there are prostitutes in LOS. England has plenty, so why go all the way to LOS to point out the bleeding obvious, but to twist it into something unrecognisable.

from "With its idyllic beaches and crystal clear blue seas, Pattaya could be the definition of paradise." to "where women and girls are pimped for sex" it's just a litany of lies pretending to be journalism.

They couldn't even get "Women in barely there outfits and skyscraper heels offer tourists massages" right. The scantily dressed are touting for gogos, not doing massages.

Red top garbage at it's worst, but I'm sure the target audience will love it.

35 minutes ago, nev said:

The prostitute's catering for overseas visitors and expats is only a small proportion of the prostitution industry, The majority are servicing the Thai population, Don't hold your breath for a crackdown anytime soon.

Other than the wowsers, who's hoping for a crackdown?

The ladies provide a service for which they get paid. They, and their customers are usually happy with the arrangement.

It's called capitalism.

Have a nice day.

Off course if they included in the article that people that live in Pattaya don't ever go to Walking Street or frequent the bars it would not be as dramatic!

I've lived here 3 years... Been to walking street about 5x I think. I do play various sports every day and eat quite well... But that's not very interesting at all for a newspaper.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The ladies provide a service for which they get paid. They, and their customers are usually happy with the arrangement.

It's called capitalism.

So was sending kids to clean up chimneys.

Edited by SheungWan

4 hours ago, AboutThaim said:

I tend to agree with you Thai Ron but as in many other situations involving exploitation of adults and child labour what is/ where are the answers?  Stop the exploitation and let them and their families starve?  I would like the sneering farang women to come up with some suggestions occasionally!

They ain't gonna starve. They'll just get regular jobs and make do.

It's not as if every bargirl is making big bucks, is it?

5 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Pathetic article, the first sentence gave it away. If the alleged reporter actually checked the place out, she might be surprised to learn Pattaya consists of more than three streets.

Get your rose tinted Glasses off, next you will tell me all the girls are lazy and enjoy selling there bodys to seed old men.

1 hour ago, Media1 said:

A few pounds my ass. These girls

Want 5 days wages . Even more lol

Haha 5 days wages no way.....however let’s be honest...

if you are young and handsome they will do it for free,

thats normal....but if you are maybe not so pretty , they have to charge 

5 days pay....I would consider many of the sexpats that hang around Pattaya must make those girls want to vomit...that’s why they quote 5 days pay...

26 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

Get your rose tinted Glasses off, next you will tell me all the girls are lazy and enjoy selling there bodys to seed old men.

Think the Old Men Seed the Lazy Girls .com

12 hours ago, samsensam said:

blimey, who'd have thunk it!

thai visa team; thanks so much for this ground breaking journalism and enlightening article.

Thank the Daily Mirror, The Woman journalist has just rewrote her past effort and added the comments about Rapist Reece....