Us Dollar Cheque

Just received US Dollar cheque from a US bank. Is there a way to cash it (either US dollar or Thai Baht) in Thailand? Went to a couple of banks and was told I will need to first open a foreign currency account and deposit some US dollar (in cash) then they will accept the cheque. Clearing for the cheque will take another 2 months.... and also tons of other handling fees associated with it.

Just received US Dollar cheque from a US bank. Is there a way to cash it (either US dollar or Thai Baht) in Thailand? Went to a couple of banks and was told I will need to first open a foreign currency account and deposit some US dollar (in cash) then they will accept the cheque. Clearing for the cheque will take another 2 months.... and also tons of other handling fees associated with it.

My experience matches that description. Bangkok Bank (Chiang Mai Branch) took six weeks to clear a small check (295 bucks) to my existing account, the fees were about 1k THB.

Edited by calibanjr.

You can have a Thai baht current account (savings account), if they'll give you one. I deposited my IRS refund check in my Bank of Ayuttayha savings account, and they charged me at least 200 baht (up front, upon depositing it) to cash it. The check was for less than $500, and it didn't clear for a couple of weeks.