Mexico will never pay for Trump wall: Mexican economy minister

webfact

Mexico will never pay for Trump wall: Mexican economy minister

2018-01-12T020626Z_1_LYNXMPEE0B041_RTROPTP_4_TRADE-WTO.JPG

Mexico's Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo speaks during an interview with Reuters at the 11th World Trade Organization's ministerial conference in Buenos Aires, Argentina December 13, 2017. REUTERS/Marcos Brindicci

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico has made clear it will never pay for President Donald Trump's planned southern border wall, the country's economy minister said on Thursday, after the U.S. leader again insisted he would make Mexico pay for the barrier.

"The President of Mexico (Enrique Pena Nieto) has been very clear: Mexico will never pay for this wall," Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo wrote on Twitter after a day of meetings in Washington.

Trump told the Wall Street Journal in an interview published on Thursday that Mexico could pay for the wall, which he hopes will stem illegal immigration, "indirectly" through changes to the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

Trump has said he will withdraw from NAFTA if the accord cannot be renegotiated in favour of the United States.

Guajardo was in Washington for talks this week with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer over the modernization of NAFTA, according to a statement by Mexico's Economy Ministry.

Guajardo wrote on Twitter that the border wall had not been discussed at any time during his meetings with U.S. officials, nor in the negotiations over how to rework NAFTA.

(Reporting by Daina Beth Solomon; Editing by Dave Graham and Daniel Wallis)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-12

Indeed.  Don't be surprised, if parts of it get built, that Mexican will use it as back walls for new construction.  Imagine, if you were a Mexican and were ok with residing in a region where the wall was built.  You see this massive (30 ft tall?) very expensive wall and think,

"Wow, that would be a great north wall for my stable.  I can get that gringo wall to support my casa and stable.  Just run some poles at an angle down to some support posts on the south side, put a roof on there, and madre mio, I've got the strongest stable in the state.  I'll build more of these, and become a 'stable genius' like the hombre in the big casa blanca in DeeCee."

31 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Fat Lady hasn't sung on this issue yet. 

What 'fat lady'?  Oh, you mean fat butt Trump?  I can see it now, Trump dressed in drag, yodling on the Penn Ave sidewalk in front of the White House fence.  He could make a pile of quarters on a good night.  That would be a start, for paying for his big big very big wall.  Trump will tell you everything about him is big, ......his hands, his big red button, his.... (oh, never mind).  

There's a better chance of a foot of snow in downtown Bangkok than Mexico paying for the border wall.  Trump can give America all the BS he wants and withdraw from Nafta- Mexico has a large economy that will reach the 9th largest in the World by 2030.

If Trump tries  to tax  Mexican Imports or American exports to Mexico he will find that Mexico will go to other central and South American countries for anything needed and American business will lose a good customer.

Trump is in the process of finally realizing he may get a token border wall but mostly he will end up getting fencing and high tech gadgetry as well as added border patrol agents,  To get even this, he will have to sign off on the DACA Bill and an Immigration bill. Yet, the Donald Trump Circus continues and according to recent reports NOT coming to the UK as Donald's trip has been cancelled. Now, if we can only cancel his Presidency.

I'm not sure anybody, even the basest of Trump supporters, ever really believed that Mexico would pay for the wall.

Trump is able to conflate many, many issues (drugs, crime, gangs, criminals, security, illegal immigration) into "the wall".

Not sure how many prescription opioids come in from Mexico?

Soon Mexico will need its own wall to prevent US workers running to Mexico to work in all the plants that are moving there.

Carrier plant layoffs: Worker thought Trump would save her job. She was wrong.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/carrier-plant-layoffs-worker-thought-trump-would-save-her-job-n836261

The Carrier Company announced on Feb. 10, 2016, that it was closing its plants in Indianapolis and Huntington, Indiana, and moving the operations to Monterrey, Mexico.

And now with the brilliant new tax rules being put in place, US companies overseas will pay taxes based on income equal to 1/2 of what US companies in the US will pay along with other tax breaks if they earn less than 10% of investment (if located overseas). Got to love all the winning!

18 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

All Aid will be ceased, and all drug money confiscated will be used to help build the wall.  so in effect, yes, they are paying in one way or another.

I think the bulk of ~ $300 million in aid to Mexico goes to law enforcement/drug wars? And where is this "drug money" and why hasn't already been "confiscated"?

At $300 million per year, it will take ~50-ish years to "pay" for the "wall".

Maybe take another stab at funding?

5 hours ago, Silurian said:

Soon Mexico will need its own wall to prevent US workers running to Mexico to work in all the plants that are moving there.

Carrier plant layoffs: Worker thought Trump would save her job. She was wrong.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/carrier-plant-layoffs-worker-thought-trump-would-save-her-job-n836261

And now with the brilliant new tax rules being put in place, US companies overseas will pay taxes based on income equal to 1/2 of what US companies in the US will pay along with other tax breaks if they earn less than 10% of investment (if located overseas). Got to love all the winning!

Looks like they jumped the gun and lost out. A counter to your assessment that ANY US workers are heading south for work: http://fortune.com/2018/01/12/fiat-chrysler-michigan-mexico-nafta/

The "wall" is a total joke!  The Rio Grande River forms the border between Mexico and the USA for about 1250 miles from El Paso to the gulf of Mexico.  It is navigable north of the Delta and is used for irrigation of the fertile lands on both sides of the border.  Where is Trump proposing to build the wall. in the middle of the River?  If he builds it of the US side he would effectively cut off use by all in the US and he can't build it on the Mexico side.  So there goes 1250 miles of his stupid wall.  I bet he doesn't even know that it is the border for that many miles,.  It's all political BS!

15 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Looks like they jumped the gun and lost out. A counter to your assessment that ANY US workers are heading south for work: http://fortune.com/2018/01/12/fiat-chrysler-michigan-mexico-nafta/

There will from time to time be wins for US workers, but overall cancelling NAFTA will be detrimental for the USA, as was Trump's decision to withdraw from the TPP.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/26/trumps-tpp-pullout-could-hurt-workers-more-than-it-helps.html

Unpacking Trump's alternative facts on NAFTA.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/09/15/unpacking-trumps-alternative-facts-on-nafta/

Just have Mexicans visiting or Mexican companies exporting product to the US to pay a border security fee. A remittance tax  is another easy implemented revenue source.

The US should have should have an entry or exit fee on all foreign travelers to the us. Just as many other countries have

29 minutes ago, dcutman said:

Just have Mexicans visiting or Mexican companies exporting product to the US to pay a border security fee. A remittance tax  is another easy implemented revenue source.

The US should have should have an entry or exit fee on all foreign travelers to the us. Just as many other countries have

Your straying off-topic, but do you think that getting a visa to the US is free?    They are not.   The application process costs money and if rejected, the applicant gets to start all over, including paying again.  

6 hours ago, dcutman said:

Then US citizens should also be charged an entry or exit fee every time they visit Mexico or Canada.

If it is fair for the USA to charge a fee then it should also be fair that the USA has to pay too.

What that would meant is that the cost of living would rise unnecessarily because Trump thinks he knows better.

29 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Ahh...the holier-than-thou comment. Amazing how some think they are so bestowed with the clearance to judge all as they see fit. A remarkably pompous comment. Pfft.

I don't see how that could be construed as holier-than-thou. I was pointing that saying I want the good kind, not the bad kind is vacuous unless you actually offer some specific criteria as to what constitutes good and bad and why.

12 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I don't see how that could be construed as holier-than-thou. I was pointing that saying I want the good kind, not the bad kind is vacuous unless you actually offer some specific criteria as to what constitutes good and bad and why.

The good kind is those who have something to offer and can contribute, most welcome...we all know the bad type that is useless and entitled and it's negative effect on things.

On 12/01/2018 at 5:03 PM, Thaidream said:

There's a better chance of a foot of snow in downtown Bangkok than Mexico paying for the border wall.  Trump can give America all the BS he wants and withdraw from Nafta- Mexico has a large economy that will reach the 9th largest in the World by 2030.

If Trump tries  to tax  Mexican Imports or American exports to Mexico he will find that Mexico will go to other central and South American countries for anything needed and American business will lose a good customer.

Trump is in the process of finally realizing he may get a token border wall but mostly he will end up getting fencing and high tech gadgetry as well as added border patrol agents,  To get even this, he will have to sign off on the DACA Bill and an Immigration bill. Yet, the Donald Trump Circus continues and according to recent reports NOT coming to the UK as Donald's trip has been cancelled. Now, if we can only cancel his Presidency.

They will not pay voluntarily but they will pay one way or another.