Visa Overstay: S Korea

Dear TV Forum,

I'm making an enquiry for my Thai friend/ex-girlfriend who went to work in Seoul/S Korea almost 3 years ago, and then out of necessity/responsibility of sending money home to her family she overstayed her Visa and is now almost 2 years Overstay.

She's finally had enough, and misses her family and Thailand and desperately wants to come home, but she is terrified of being arrested at Immigration/Seoul Airport.

Does anyone know the likely outcomes/punishment/fines when she tries to go through Immigration with a Visa 2 years out of date?

Any advice/stories of similar incidents would be very gratefully received!

Nick

• Like 1

Thanks @ubonjoe

I found this information below from http://koreabridge.net/post/fines-overstaying-visa-koreanlawyer but its a little outdated. I recommended the same thing to her but was interested to see if anyone on this forum had friends who had gone through a similar situation.

Overstay period                       Fine (KRW)
Less than 3 months                100,000 - 500,000
Less than 1 year                    500,000 - 2 million
Less than 2 years                  2 million - 4 million
2 years or more                    4 million - 20 million
Read more at http://koreabridge.net/post/fines-overstaying-visa-koreanlawyer#RXRmoPTTqX0W2EgS.99

I am wondering if for such a long overstay it would be better to take an illegal boat to China or Japan and then declare overstay there just after arrival ? They would send her back to Thailand, not Korea I guess ? Please tell me if I am wrong.

At least if she got bored with Korea she could discover a new country, even if sent to jail there :-)

Unfortunately the only country that borders onto South Korea is North Korea and I don't think you would want to sneak across that border. So the options are to find an illegal boat that will take her to another country, but that will cost her money or stay there and keep working until she has the money to pay any fine that she gets plus enough for her fare home. The options are not real good because it does not matter what way she goes it is going to cost her a lot of money and like most embassies I would presume that Thailand is no different, they do not help financially

She should have checked out the fines long ago before she overstayed.  Then at least she could have made a decision re whether it was financially viable for her to stay there.

Getting a boat to another country is 007 sort of talk and would it help her case anyway?  Then she'd be looking at charges of illegal entry wherever she ended up and I doubt they'd be any more lenient?  Nearest country is Japan.  Are there any boats running between the two?  If there are they're likely to be official ferries, not fishing boats or whatever, so how is she going to get through immigration onto the boat?  A mask and snorkel and suction cups to climb up the hull?

She's going to have to find the money or check out how long she'd have to spend in detention if she didn't pay.  Then weigh up which option is easier/better for her.

Sorry for the delay but they were away from home at the weekend and have just replied to me.

The fines for overstay are as shown in a post above PLUS possible imprisonment. Each case is assessed on an individual basis.

They suggest contact with the Thai Embassy is Seoul AND Immigration as soon as possible (in that order).

Sorry to give you bad news, but it does not look good for your friend.

JC

• Like 1

@JustinCredible 

@dfdgfdfdgs

Thank you Justin and dfdg for your help and information. I completely agree and told her exactly the same many times over 18 months ago, but she has a habit of burying her head in the sand and doing silly things.

I can help her with the money, but the Prison thing could terrify her. Guess i have to convince her the longer she leaves it the more difficult it will be.

Thank you to all who commented once again!

Nick

@FashionExport

@JustinCredible

@dfdgfdfdgs

Hey everyone,

Just thought i'd update you all..she got through Immigration, and is now in Departure hall waiting for flight home tonight!

She went to the Thai Embassy and told her story, and also told them how her boss (Mama-san) has her Passport and won't give it back. The Thai embassy issued her with a temporary passport today and a letter in Korean to give to the Korean Immigration. After 3 hours of interrogation, and checking the address and phone number she gave of her boss/place of work, they eventually decided to not pursue the case and to let her go home without needing to pay any fine despite 2 years, 10 months overstay. She is however blacklisted from returning to S Korea.

Thank you to everyone who replied and went out of their way to help me

Nick

6 hours ago, JaiDeeMakh said:

@FashionExport

@JustinCredible

@dfdgfdfdgs

Hey everyone,

Just thought i'd update you all..she got through Immigration, and is now in Departure hall waiting for flight home tonight!

She went to the Thai Embassy and told her story, and also told them how her boss (Mama-san) has her Passport and won't give it back. The Thai embassy issued her with a temporary passport today and a letter in Korean to give to the Korean Immigration. After 3 hours of interrogation, and checking the address and phone number she gave of her boss/place of work, they eventually decided to not pursue the case and to let her go home without needing to pay any fine despite 2 years, 10 months overstay. She is however blacklisted from returning to S Korea.

Thank you to everyone who replied and went out of their way to help me

Nick

Wish her the best ! I hope that she now knows that everywhere else suxx and that foreigners want to live in Thailand for a reason !