Mazda 2 vs Mazda 3

maxipeon

1 hour ago, frankphuket said:

both my sons have driven more than 30,000 & 50,000 km in their M2 diesels (one in Bkk nearly only city driving) and no issues with engine....only some issues with suspension. Doesn't mean those problems will come, but just to let you know the experience we had

I suppose that your sons maintain their car properly and let all the maintenance done by the dealer. In that case they will not have many issues regarding the DPF as the dealer checks for excessive dirt. It seems that many issues happened with the DPF in the CX5 especially due to poor maintenance or not maintaining the car regularly. I guess people thought that regular maintenance meant changing the oil filter and engine oil, but failed to understand that the DPF needs to be cleaned/replaced also. Did Mazda fail to mention this in their maintenance booklet or was it the customer's fault for thinking they didn't need to go to a Mazda dealer for the maintenance...I am not sure...

On 19/01/2018 at 12:45 PM, JoeW said:

I suppose that your sons maintain their car properly and let all the maintenance done by the dealer. In that case they will not have many issues regarding the DPF as the dealer checks for excessive dirt. It seems that many issues happened with the DPF in the CX5 especially due to poor maintenance or not maintaining the car regularly. I guess people thought that regular maintenance meant changing the oil filter and engine oil, but failed to understand that the DPF needs to be cleaned/replaced also. Did Mazda fail to mention this in their maintenance booklet or was it the customer's fault for thinking they didn't need to go to a Mazda dealer for the maintenance...I am not sure...

It would seem that you don't understand what a DPF is and how it works. You don't usually clean it (most are sealed units) and replacing one is extremely expensive (200,000 Baht region). It needs to regenerate and that involves it getting extremely hot (600degrees C ) as extra fuel is added so it will burn off the particulates.

If you drive longer distances  this happens during regular driving.

I have a mazda 2 diesel sedan and I am very, very pleased with it.  I'm north american and prefer larger cars, the way Thais drive  I would prefer a tank but that was not an option.

The car has lots of torque, gets great mileage and is nicely finished inside.  It is beyond cheap to drive and the service has been excellent.  The car has very good style , feels sporty, ( I never thought a diesel would ) and the wine colour really stand out.

I can't recommend the 2 high enough and wouldn t pay the extra for a 3 as while roomier, it holds no more occupants and there is only the two of us.

9 hours ago, isaanbanhou said:

I have a mazda 2 diesel sedan and I am very, very pleased with it.  I'm north american and prefer larger cars, the way Thais drive  I would prefer a tank but that was not an option.

The car has lots of torque, gets great mileage and is nicely finished inside.  It is beyond cheap to drive and the service has been excellent.  The car has very good style , feels sporty, ( I never thought a diesel would ) and the wine colour really stand out.

I can't recommend the 2 high enough and wouldn t pay the extra for a 3 as while roomier, it holds no more occupants and there is only the two of us.

If you prefer larger cars why would you buy a sub compact?  A large sedan in Thailand would be a Teana, Accord or Camry.

2 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

If you prefer larger cars why would you buy a sub compact?  A large sedan in Thailand would be a Teana, Accord or Camry.

My mazda  2 cost me $32,000 cdn.  twice what a mazda 3 costs in Canada and I try my best to live within my means.

If I had my wishes, a Chevy Silverado quad cab 4x4 would be answer as i am  in Isaan.  As I said I am very satisfied with what I have for the two of us  

13 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It would seem that you don't understand what a DPF is and how it works. You don't usually clean it (most are sealed units) and replacing one is extremely expensive (200,000 Baht region). It needs to regenerate and that involves it getting extremely hot (600degrees C ) as extra fuel is added so it will burn off the particulates.

If you drive longer distances  this happens during regular driving.

Then I recommend you call up Mazda and ask why they provide a DPF cleaning package...

10 hours ago, JoeW said:

Then I recommend you call up Mazda and ask why they provide a DPF cleaning package...

on diesels....do  all modern diesels have DPF's now?...the everests/fortuners for example. I've not read of problems with those cars....only the cx-5, where folks like to drive it in the city and it doesn't get hot enough to burn off the particulates. 

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

on diesels....do  all modern diesels have DPF's now?...the everests/fortuners for example. I've not read of problems with those cars....only the cx-5, where folks like to drive it in the city and it doesn't get hot enough to burn off the particulates. 

I think all modern diesels have to have it by law (at least in Western counties)

If you  only spend your days crawling through bkk traffic Jams you may very well break the diesel particle filter 

A blast on the motorway every two weeks is enough to keep it healthy tho

9 hours ago, Bkk2061 said:

I think all modern diesels have to have it by law (at least in Western counties)

If you  only spend your days crawling through bkk traffic Jams you may very well break the diesel particle filter 

A blast on the motorway every two weeks is enough to keep it healthy tho

My 17 km run to work has about 5km at 100km/h. That should do it.