Leaving with Children

Goinghome

My Partner and I are going to Amphur to divorce.And she has agreed she will sign a letter of consent to me having full custody of Children aged 14 and 5 years old.

Can anyone envisage any problems I will have when leaving Thailand.?

Thanks for any info, in advance.

Edited by Goinghome
forget to mention amphur

Do they have passports now?

Arrange this before you split.

Also keep copies and get official translations the documents you get from the Amphur.

Once it is all set up do a day trip out with the kids at a land border come back in "dry run"so to speak.

That way when finally wrap everything up (housing etc) you are not left with nowhere to go if they prevent you leaving at the airport.

Never had to do it but just a few thoughts.

Good luck!

Edited by maprao

1 minute ago, maprao said:

Do they have passports now?

Arrange this before you split.

Also keep copies and get official translations the documents you get from the Amphur and keep copies.

Once it is all set up do a day trip out with the kids at a land border come back in "dry run"so to speak.

That way when finally wrap everything up (housing etc) you are not left with nowhere to go if they prevent you leaving at the airport.

Never had to do it but just a few thoughts.

Good luck!

Hi Thanks for the reply, they have both Thai UK passports, having heard of some nightmare scenarios for some farang. I keep thinking to myself there could be something hiding around the corner.

The partner has co-operated in full, though when the realization hits her she could well change.

3 minutes ago, Goinghome said:

Hi Thanks for the reply, they have both Thai UK passports, having heard of some nightmare scenarios for some farang. I keep thinking to myself there could be something hiding around the corner.

The partner has co-operated in full, though when the realization hits her she could well change.

Did they arrive on UK passports or are their passports blank (visa wise) ?

56 minutes ago, Goinghome said:

The Passports are new, specifically got with intention of leaving Thailand

You will need a letter from the Amphor giving you permission ( from the Mother) to take them out the Country , Im not sure whether having a letter just giving you full custody will be sufficient, or you would need another separate letter .

Someone else will probably know

Get a letter from her saying that she gives you permission to leave the country with them and have a copy of her ID card attached to the letter. It's hit and miss with immigration at the airport.

My son only has a foreign passport that he entered Thailand on and uses. I've never had problems or questions when taking him on visa runs over land, but have twice been asked at the airport. The last time the officer wanted to talk to my ex even though I had a letter and affidavit from my embassy.

6 minutes ago, Goinghome said:

Thanks for the reply just hope they don't speak to my 5yr old, as she is going to be very upset leaving her Mum.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.The trials and Tribulations of officials can be very stressful. 

Try a dry run overland, as someone recommended (first to somewhere like Cambodia). If you eventually have issues flying out from the airport then you could always do a land crossing to Malaysia and try to fly out from there.

Ideally you will secure a Parental Consent Letter - Notarized by your local Amphur office.

This letter outlines that the Mother has given her permission for the Children to travel with their father, as witnessed by an official at your local Amphur office.

In 2017 I travelled twice with my Son (who is now 4 yrs old) - I had the letter signed by my Wife (just in case) but never managed to get to the Amphur office to sign the letter. My Wife waited at the airport just incase any questions were raised. 

At Immigration  I was not questioned, we were simply stamped out of Thailand, my Son on his Thai Passport (we have the same Surname). 

Thus: It is quite possible that you will not face any issues, however, it would be advised to have your ducks in a row and obtain this Parental Consent Form if you can. 

A letter showing you have full custody may also do the trick if questioned - however, I am unable to comment on this with any degree of confidence.

Edited by richard_smith237

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ideally you will secure a Parental Consent Letter - Notarized by your local Amphur office.

This letter outlines that the Mother has given her permission to travel with their father, as witnessed by an official at your local Amphur office.

In 2017 I travelled twice with my Son (who is now 4 yrs old) - I had the letter signed by my Wife (just in case) but never managed to get to the Amphur office to sign the letter. My Wife waited at the airport just incase any questions were raised. 

At Immigration  I was not questioned, we were simply stamped out of Thailand, my Son on his Thai Passport (we have the same Surname). 

Thus: It is quite possible that you will not face any issues, however, it would be advised to have your ducks in a row and obtain this Parental Consent Form if you can. 

A letter showing you have full custody may also do the trick if questioned - however, I am unable to comment on this with any degree of confidence.

Thanks, Guys as other posters mentioned a dry run could be of benefit and keeping the partner near to airport also, I'm also doing as Richard suggested just expecting a hidden surprise. lol.

The land of smiles has a way of springing surprises on you.

I'm not sure but I believe in the divorce decree there is a area where it indicates a situation like yours?  I remember being a witness for a friend it was written into the decree that he has full visitation rights etc.. 

Whenever he took his kid with him without the mother for trips he took the original decree,copy, translation copies with him to make sure there were no problems.

Good luck

On 1/12/2018 at 2:33 PM, Goinghome said:

Thanks for the reply just hope they don't speak to my 5yr old, as she is going to be very upset leaving her Mum.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.The trials and Tribulations of officials can be very stressful. 

Bribe him with :) start with some toys, maybe a small motorbike and her forget his mom in (mili)seconds

On 1/12/2018 at 1:12 PM, Goinghome said:

Okay, I am not trying to dampen the spirit, but a co-worker had two children from a Thai Wife, same scenario as you, she signed all the paperwork, had translations, they had visa's to US etc etc  -  one boy, one girl.  He was held up in Suvarnabhumi Immigration, had no problem with the boys paperwork, but something was amiss with the girl's paperwork, slight difference in fathers name.   They would have allowed the boy to travel, but not the girl.  Of course he wasn't leaving without his daughter, checked into the hotel at the airport.  After much talking to the wife, she had to come to Bangkok and vouch for the girl, appears the IO was afraid he was trafficking the girl.  He was chai yen about it all because they were interested in the girl's wellfare.........they are happy together in the USA at this time.

I like the suggestion of a dry run at a local border as a test, might iron out any questions IO might have later.

35 minutes ago, blubb said:

On 1/12/2018 at 2:33 PM, Goinghome said:

Maybe considering taking Mom with her, only Mom has a round trip ticket.   She is 5 yo, of course she will be upset leaving her mom........I don't envy your trip to the airport, have seen screaming kids there..............best of luck.

All you need is a written document in witch is stated that you allowed to take the children with you.

the over twelf years old is not a problem and she need to sign too that she know that her mother allowed her to travel with you aboard is allowed.

Be smart and attach her id copie in the permission with your id and the child on the same page so she sign this too.

Be aware when she say at to border check point she wants to stay you have to left her to stay by international law and arrange her transport back to her mother.

Also she has a choice who she wants to stay.

The 5 year old you need a written permission signed by her mother that you are allowed take her abroad with you.

Also good to have the thai court order that you are her legal father and have full custody. (Also the 14 years is good to have).

You need this translated and legalized court order and divorce documents anyhow back home to register all.

Make all singed now and prepare for the future so you will not run into problems. have all translated and legalized. And make 3 copies so can leave behind after showing the originals.

Put copy also in every traveling bag, just to be sure in stress you can open any bag and proof you are right.

Some sounds overdue and can be look like tha to most.

My experience during the period after the divorce and the unexpected unforseen change of mind of my ex wife by everyone. Because her family helped me to go to the airport and helped to get all to the check in location. We all where surprised and the preparation saved me to be able to travel with my children.

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:33 PM, Goinghome said:

Don't you think you should talk to the 5 year old and explain the situation? I think it would be better to stay a bit longer in Thailand so she can get used to being without mum and after that bring her to a total strange environment. 

hi my friend has just split from his Thai wife and came back to uk alone with his 3yr old son .the child has both Thai and UK passports. he took UK birth cert and copy of thai cert with him and his thai wife wrote a letter saying the child was going with his father. but he had no problems at airport showed uk passport and went straight through. hope this helps good luck

On 1/12/2018 at 1:12 PM, Goinghome said:

And change they do. 

Tread very slowly and carefully. If she feels any pressure, she will panic. 

C A L M. From you. 

Do not freak her out asking about borders and immigration stuff. 

After you have finished your custody agreement. 

Nicely ask her to go to the office and sign the paper for them to leave the country. 

It probably would be best to get the custody agreement before you start raving on about whisking them out of the country. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 2:20 AM, sanemax said:

You will need a letter from the Amphor giving you permission ( from the Mother) to take them out the Country , Im not sure whether having a letter just giving you full custody will be sufficient, or you would need another separate letter .

Someone else will probably know

In Ubon Ratchatani, if the mother is present, the Tourist Police will issue a template letter in English stating that the mother assents for the child(ren) to travel overseas with the father.  I'm sure this offers more weight than a letter from the Amphor - both to exit Thailand and when overseas. 

However, I was pulled aside with my Thai/UK son by some official when exiting Thailand and had a problem with the official not being able to read English!