Marine Office sets new life vest standards

webfact

Marine Office sets new life vest standards

The new rule will order all boats to use life vesta approved by the Marine Office, which comprises qualifications and verification specified by the office in order to create better marine safety standards.

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

1_2015528154453695_AdczEbTWbzNSKKMYrnqEf

The Phuket Marine Office has issued a rule about life vest standard’s certification for each boat to ensure all vessels only use the life vest approved by the Marine Office to guarantee quality.

Phuket Marine Office Chief, Surat Sirisaiyat, says that the new rule will order all boats to use life vesta approved by the Marine Office, which comprises qualifications and verification specified by the office in order to create better marine safety standards.

“The rule is effective since January 1 and all the boats that comes to Marine Office to extend their license will have to get the approval for their life vests as well.

Full story:  https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/marine-office-sets-new-life-vest-standards

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2018-01-12

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

It's almost like they are expecting the passengers will end up in the water.  :biggrin:

What a stupid comment .... it's a safety precaution given that anyone on the water can end up in the water. I worked and lived on the water for almost 20 years. A life jacket or work vest is normal. On my private yacht all visitors wore life jackets when on deck and sailing. 

45 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

What a stupid comment .... it's a safety precaution given that anyone on the water can end up in the water. I worked and lived on the water for almost 20 years. A life jacket or work vest is normal. On my private yacht all visitors wore life jackets when on deck and sailing. 

It was "tongue in cheek" LIK. 

Point being, you can have great life vests, but if they did more to stop boats crashing, and sinking, maybe life vests wouldn't be needed as often as they are here.

8 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

The guys an absolute DH, not worth ever replying to.

Many of the diveboats already have these newer ones. The main difference with the old ones is that these new ones automatically roll somebody over in the water, keeping the persons mouth and nose up in the air in stead of in the water.

"We have developed the standards of life vest with the life vest companies to ensure that they reaches international standards." 

OK so they are International ISO standards (ISO 12402) available at TISI (Thai Industrial Standard Institute) but the marine department has developed their own standards which will reach the TISI/ISO standards, makes perfect sense.

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Many of the diveboats already have these newer ones. The main difference with the old ones is that these new ones automatically roll somebody over in the water, keeping the persons mouth and nose up in the air in stead of in the water.

Thanks.... I was wondering about the comment “ must be able to flip around the person”.... lol.. obvious now. 

next though, is that it’s one thing to “have” the correct vest... it’s another thing entirely to “wear” the vest. Is this going to be mandated as well?

and, as a curiosity, are these vests comfortable, if needing to be worn long term?

im asking this of you, as you seem to know your way around the water borne industry here... cheers

50 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Thanks.... I was wondering about the comment “ must be able to flip around the person”.... lol.. obvious now. 

next though, is that it’s one thing to “have” the correct vest... it’s another thing entirely to “wear” the vest. Is this going to be mandated as well?

and, as a curiosity, are these vests comfortable, if needing to be worn long term?

im asking this of you, as you seem to know your way around the water borne industry here... cheers

Officially yes, have to be worn the whole trip.

In real life, it depends on the boat. A speedboat, where people sit for the ride to a destination, is different from a slower diveboat.

57 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Officially yes, have to be worn the whole trip.

In real life, it depends on the boat. A speedboat, where people sit for the ride to a destination, is different from a slower diveboat.

That’s very understandable.

but... if required, in theory.... do you think there is now going to be a campaign to enforce the wearing... or would this just become another one of those PR deals where something is being seen to be done.... so it’s all good now?

and then there’s the whole issue of the safety of wearing a vest inside a cabin in the event of a capsize... trapping the wearer

no easy fix... but I’m sure that mandating better equipment, as a stand alone, is a good thing.

personally.... I would hate to be saddled with actually wearing a vest the whole time. They should certainly be handy,  but worn, especially on a hot day. Hell... I’d imagine that this would really take the shine off a nice day’s diving.

That’s very understandable.

but... if required, in theory.... do you think there is now going to be a campaign to enforce the wearing... or would this just become another one of those PR deals where something is being seen to be done.... so it’s all good now?

and then there’s the whole issue of the safety of wearing a vest inside a cabin in the event of a capsize... trapping the wearer

no easy fix... but I’m sure that mandating better equipment, as a stand alone, is a good thing.

personally.... I would hate to be saddled with actually wearing a vest the whole time. They should certainly be handy,  but worn, especially on a hot day. Hell... I’d imagine that this would really take the shine off a nice day’s diving.
The ferry to koh larn make you put them on