What are the marriage requirements for

ruizphd

1. If you wish to marry in Thailand you should therefore contact the Embassy and bring the following original documents:

- Passport  

- Health insurance card or other official documentation of your present address.  

- Salary statement (the latest) or similar documentation of your income, for instance your pension statement or your yearly salary statement from the tax authorities in your home country.  

- If you have previously been married, your divorce certificate. The certificate should be translated into Thai. Since the certificate must be legalised by the Embassy, we prefer that the translation is made by the Embassy or by a translation office recommended by the Embassy.  

- Certificate from your home municipality concerning notification of marriage  

- Names and addresses (references) of two persons you know in your home country, who are not your family.  

- Names and age of your children, if any.

Under normal circumstances, it takes two working days for the Embassy to issue a certificate for registration of marriage in Thailand. You will be charged a fee for the Embassy's assistance

Alternatively and in order to save time, you may find it more convenient to forward copies of the documents to the Embassy beforehand, in order that the certificate and any translations are ready when you arrive in Thailand. Please note, however, that you must present all the original documents when coming to the Embassy to pick up your certificate for registration of marriage in Thailand.

2. You should bring the certificate to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs to be verified as a true document issued by your Embassy.

The address of the Ministry is:

Legalisation

Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Chaeng Wattana Road

(close to the Communications Authority of Thailand)

Bangkok

Tel: 02 503-3905 to 02 503-3907

It usually takes a couple of days for the Ministry to verify a document. Please note that the Ministry will charge you a fee. The Embassy cannot assist you in having the certificate verified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

3. When the certificate has been verified, you may register marriage at any District Office (amphur).

The Embassy, however, usually recommends that you register marriage in Bangkok, or in another larger city, as the district offices in the cities are more familiar with the embassies' certificates. You do not need to make an appointment in advance with the district office.

The amphur will charge you a small fee for the registration of marriage. Please note that you might also have to pay a small fee to the two marriage witnesses, if they are provided by the amphur.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/mrginfo.htm

The above link provides details. I do not know where George got his shopping list but do not believe the US list is quite that long.

You go, fill out single page form, have it typed up and sign (and pay notary fee) which used to take all of 30 minutes. You require name/address of several people who know you in the US for form and general bio data/family information. This is a legal document so no lies. If you have been married believe your divorce paperwork will also be required.

It was easier for me and I am American,,they didnt want to see any proof of anything,,just notorized the letter saying I was free to marry. had the letter ran Thru Thai office in BKK and went to our amphur and it was over in 10 minutes.

I'd confirm KevinN's post - I went to the embassy, filled out a "single certificate form" and they notorized it. The form calls for the names and addresses of two references in the US so make sure that you have the names and addresses of two friends or relatives with you. The embassy won't translate it, but there are plenty of official translators around will take care of it for you. Just make sure that they transliterate your name into Thai properly, otherwise the official Thai version of your name might be 'Ellis-Islanded' :o !

Also, your wife will need a single certificate from her home Amphur. If you are there for the wedding, you can register the marriage there too, otherwise you can register it up on Chang Wittana in BKK.

Both my wife and I have lost our Birth Certificates, but my Passport and her ID were considered sufficient.

BTW Congratulations.

But, Elsie, there is some truth in it.

My wife cannot understand that money does not magically appear out of the air whenever it is needed, but has to be earned first (Maybe not my wife, but certainly her family).

This is virtually the only contentious item that we have, but it constantly rears it's head. We solve it, things go on OK for a few months, then repeat the whole process again. Not with our immediate lives, but with someone or something in the family.

I am now refusing any further help unless it is absolutely essential. My wife is not ecstatic about this, but has found that her relationship with the rest of the family remains normal, but the financial requests have fallen off. (And less of the family speak to me)

I have never been asked for support of money from anyone in the family,the worst that has happened is when I bought a Honda car for us, our bro in law wanted to buy our Nissan Diesel pickup,and he has payed me the agreed on baht the first of every month as agreed on.

My wife works and never asks for money and never draws from our joint account at the bank,she has her own account where her check is deposited.

If you marry a Bar Girl,where they only see farangs drinking and throwing money up in the air and running out from under it,what do you expect. They know nothing about earning money,just get a new BF when the money slows down.

But if you have acted like DIAMOND JIM, during the mating dance,then you will most likely have to wear the mating plumage as long as it lasts.

So if you can't stand the heat,better get your ass outta the kitchen.

Up2U, It might be true under some circumstances and in some societies. Forgive my ignorance, but I just do not think it should be considered as a standard procedure to happen when you marry a Thai woman. I, my sister and all our female friends earn our own incomes. I can only speak for myself here. I have never, ever, asked for money from my boyfriend (whoever he is :o). My family has never asked/told me to ask for money from my foreign boyfriend. So, please understand it annoys me quite a bit when some people believe we all are only a bunch of nasty lying bitches who can do whatever it takes to rip the foreign boyfriends/husbands off.

Heck, over the years I've met plenty of guys who got legally married to bars girls they have known for all of one month. I have met plenty of who come over for a few weeks at a time, keep dating the same girl who is still working in the same bar, and they still let them get married. So it would appear to me that you can be the dumbest guy in the world and still get married in Thailand. The paperwork and background check seem to be negligible. So step right up and pick a number and join that long line of

seubeu Farangs who want to get married to Thai women they scarecely know and can hardly communicate with effectively. And Thailand thanks you for your financial contribution.

As one who has been married to a Thai national for nearly two decades, I do hope you have lots of patience.