Have you got your teacher's license?

jenny2017

I'm in the middle of the process to apply for the license and will be at Khurusapha this week. I was just wondering what others, who've got a teacher's license have experienced when applying for the license.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and the eventually ups and downs of the process. I'll be there in person to make sure that I've got all docs.

And it would be very interesting to see how many foreigners are actually on a teacher's license. Thank you very much for your time and consideration. 

I applied by mail, without any problems. You have to show with the documents that you qualify for the license and that is it. Paid for it by mail. It took some time, but after a month or so I received my license by mail.

I did enclose a letter telling about myself and my years in Thailand, showing that i didn't only took an interest in teaching but also participated in temple activities and helped out at the local hospital.

Mostly because they want teachers to be pillars of the community they live in. So if you can show them what you do for the community. another positive thing is being with a school for a longer time. They don't like teachers who change jobs every year or so.

I also explained about the difference between a teaching license in my country and Thailand, as we don't have a teaching license in my country, you just need the required degree and a police clearance.

In my case no police clearance was provided or asked for, neither was a TOEFL test (i am not from one of the 5 native speaker countries). Guess the last one is only required for the waiver, not the license.

2 hours ago, Preacher said:

I applied by mail, without any problems. You have to show with the documents that you qualify for the license and that is it. Paid for it by mail. It took some time, but after a month or so I received my license by mail.

I did enclose a letter telling about myself and my years in Thailand, showing that i didn't only took an interest in teaching but also participated in temple activities and helped out at the local hospital.

Mostly because they want teachers to be pillars of the community they live in. So if you can show them what you do for the community. another positive thing is being with a school for a longer time. They don't like teachers who change jobs every year or so.

I also explained about the difference between a teaching license in my country and Thailand, as we don't have a teaching license in my country, you just need the required degree and a police clearance.

In my case no police clearance was provided or asked for, neither was a TOEFL test (i am not from one of the 5 native speaker countries). Guess the last one is only required for the waiver, not the license.

I guess you meant a TOEIC test? I've got my TOEIC appointment on Tuesday morning. Might be wasted money, but you never know. 

Would I not go for a TOEIC, they might tell me that they want to see one. You never know until you know. 

Thank you very much for your post/.

P.S. I've just checked the requirements set by TCT and a TOEIC is nowhere listed. Could anybody share some light on this?

Mine expired in 2017 and if I don't need it, why should I waste so much time and money?

Could anyone message or post the letter from the school's director. Looking for correct verbiage.

Has anyone used only a letter from English HoD (Thai) bc it will be a hassle getting director's signature.

How many references will you be using?

I don't think you need those bits about community, that's very provincial. Cant hurt though. In the big city we have reasonably good schools with proper extracurricular activities. I'd think most single men shouldnot be expected to be involved in community service, imo.

We are all on temporary stay.

On 1/16/2018 at 6:37 AM, ozmeldo said:

Could anyone message or post the letter from the school's director. Looking for correct verbiage.

Has anyone used only a letter from English HoD (Thai) bc it will be a hassle getting director's signature.

How many references will you be using?

I don't think you need those bits about community, that's very provincial. Cant hurt though. In the big city we have reasonably good schools with proper extracurricular activities. I'd think most single men shouldnot be expected to be involved in community service, imo.

We are all on temporary stay.

Please be aware that you've got to be at the school for at least 365 days. Three to five teachers will have to evaluate you and copies of their teacher's licenses have to be attached to the form. 

They want a copy of the school director's license as well. I guess you meant the Thai teachers with references/ three are enough. Life is a temporary stay.....

On 1/18/2018 at 8:00 AM, jenny2017 said:

Please be aware that you've got to be at the school for at least 365 days. Three to five teachers will have to evaluate you and copies of their teacher's licenses have to be attached to the form. 

They want a copy of the school director's license as well. I guess you meant the Thai teachers with references/ three are enough. Life is a temporary stay.....

Yes, of course the director's letter and 365+

But here is a twist...I've read the packet and it says one full year starting after the date specified in WP! Has anyone rec'd their license after say ...380 days at the school.

AND does the number of days need be specified in the director's letter?

Would the HoD letter work if say she is an asst director?

I was not aware their license need be attached. The teachers must submit their licences. Are you certain abt this bc I think having a teaching license may be political appointment. Further, agencies run schools as well. Businesmen - no license.

Can you post your letter with the personal details omitted? I want to write it up and just have him sign it, ex as possible. I've seen many posts requesting and no one coming forward.

The teachers references will be no problem, I'll include 5-7 plus other supporting documents.

Life here is indeed a temporary stay no matter if you're married or have 20m in the bank or even teacher of the year at some crappy agency 555

I believe the form doesn't state copies of the teaching licenses need to be provided, but it would be the wise 'thing to do anyway. The people who evaluate you need to give the number of their teaching license anyway.

Not sure the director needs to states the number of days, you will be providing a copy of your work permit and that will show how long you have been at the school. Kurusapa will take that as evidence, as you yourself stated.

Be sure to get the directors signature and copy of his license, Kurusapa can be very picky.

The teaching license is a legal requirement for certain schools and not a political appointment. You just need to comply with the regulations. Without a teaching license you simply are not allowed to teach and I have seen Thai and foreign teachers leaving school as they couldn't take the tests in time to qualify.

If a teaching license is required depends on the kind of school. Tutoring schools and for example universities are covered by different rules and do not require a teaching license.

The form only has place for 3 to 5 persons. It must not be only teachers but also at least one school administrator.

Jenny: I didn't know my teacher had a license so, no I haven't got it. Perhaps you meant to ask "Have you got your teaching license?" Or "Your license to teach". But what you posted doesn't make sense......not good for a teacher, eh?

Are we really quibbling over an errant apostrophe?  I love this place.:clap2:

What is all this about peer (teacher) evaluation?  I have never done that.  Does anyone have a link to any new rules posted up?  I am up for renewal in October an if new stuff is brought in for new licences, it's only a matter of time until it comes in for renewals too.

10 hours ago, Slip said:

What is all this about peer (teacher) evaluation?  I have never done that.  Does anyone have a link to any new rules posted up?  I am up for renewal in October an if new stuff is brought in for new licences, it's only a matter of time until it comes in for renewals too.

Here you are. In a Thai TCT document I read that you should apply for renewal at least 180 days in advance.

Requirements

- Hold Bachelor’s degree or higher in Education field or
     - Hold Bachelor’s degree in another field + teaching experience of not less than 5 years or
     - Hold lower than Bachelor’s degree + teaching experience of not less than 10 years
     - License holder must supply reasonable documentation of not less than 3 professional 

development activities during the 5-year validity period of the license
     - The school director examines the accuracy and approve that the license holder meets the qualification 

1.  Completed Professional License Renewal Application Form (Form KS. 02) with a 1-inch photo attached; and sign applicants’ name on above line.

2.  Completed applicant’s Qualification Declaration Form (Form KS. 02.10). This form must be signed by the applicant on the page 4, and the school director examines the accuracy and approve that the license holder meets the qualification, as well as sign his/her name on the page 5.
    3.  Copy of documents or evidence of the performance results of professional practice as specified in Section 2, Item 2.1 (pages 2 - 4 of the KS. 02.10 Form) the performance results must include at least 3 different activities and occur during the license’s period of validity   
    4.  Copy of all the used pages of the teacher’s passport; preferably the photo page and present Non-B Visa page
    5.  Copy of all the used pages of the teacher’s work permit
    6.  Copy of the current teaching license
    7.  Copy of educational certificate along with official transcripts  
    8. Two 1 X 1.25 inch half-length, full face photographs in which the applicant is facing the camera directly; wearing formal clothing without hat and sunglasses; taken against plain, blue or white background and taken within the last six months (Do not wear a t-shirt or tank top, no smile)
                - Scanned Polaroid and photographs printed on an inkjet printer are unacceptable.
                - One photograph will be glue to the application form (KS. 02) in the designated space and place another one in a small zippered plastic bag and staple it to the form.          
    9.  Payment receipt for license renewal fee: 200 Baht 

Remark:  All copies of original documents being submitted must be certified as true copies of the 
              original by the applicant or the authorized person.

http://site.ksp.or.th/about.php?site=license&SiteMenuID=220

On 1/20/2018 at 5:16 AM, ozmeldo said:

Yes, of course the director's letter and 365+

But here is a twist...I've read the packet and it says one full year starting after the date specified in WP! Has anyone rec'd their license after say ...380 days at the school.

AND does the number of days need be specified in the director's letter?

Would the HoD letter work if say she is an asst director?

I was not aware their license need be attached. The teachers must submit their licences. Are you certain abt this bc I think having a teaching license may be political appointment. Further, agencies run schools as well. Businesmen - no license.

Can you post your letter with the personal details omitted? I want to write it up and just have him sign it, ex as possible. I've seen many posts requesting and no one coming forward.

The teachers references will be no problem, I'll include 5-7 plus other supporting documents.

Life here is indeed a temporary stay no matter if you're married or have 20m in the bank or even teacher of the year at some crappy agency 555

I think it's not the date in your work permit, it's the date when Khurusapha had issued the temporary license. Not less than 365 days and it can't be taken from two schools. It happened to a guy who's sent away because he'd only 364 days, not a joke, they take that seriously. 

• 3 weeks later...

My Thai Teaching License experience. I had provided all the documents required plus the obligatory signature at the bottom of each page. About five years later my Thai teaching license was delivered to the school. It had expired. I had to start from scratch.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2018 at 7:09 AM, missoura said:

My Thai Teaching License experience. I had provided all the documents required plus the obligatory signature at the bottom of each page. About five years later my Thai teaching license was delivered to the school. It had expired. I had to start from scratch.  

I'm really sorry to hear that. Such things should never happen. 

Archived