BLS Spain Schengen Visa - timescale

Perhaps you will be able to apply more quickly at BLS than directly at the embassy. Especially Spain seems reluctant to let people apply at the embassy itself though legally they would be required to let you hand in the application at the embassy within -as a rule- 2 weeks. BLS might be able to accept the application (by appointment) within days. They will forward it to the embassy where the embassy processes the visa.

The processing should not take more than 15 calendar days unless your application is found to be lacking. But if you are a Briton and married to your Thai partner, it's an application under Freedom of Movement and the application would need to be processed ASAP and require very little documentation (see Schengen sticky). So a processing time of a few days to a week would be acceptable. At most a processing time of 15 calendar days. If the Spaniards would drag both the appointment (2 weeks waiting max) and processing (15 calendar days) you would at most spent a month getting everything in order. 

If they decide to be real c**ts  it could take up to 2 months or 3 if the application would be lacking and require further evidence and review by the MFA in Madrid.

If the optional BLS 'service provider ' is involved the emvassy would sent the passport to them and they would sent or hand it back to you depending on if you use a delivery service or chose to collect the passport yourself. BLS itself may this add a slight delay into of it all.

So I'd hope to day: a week. But I'm curious to know how poorly or well the Spainiards are actually doing right now when it comes to applications via BLS or via the embassy itself.

3 hours ago, Donutz said:

Perhaps you will be able to apply more quickly at BLS than directly at the embassy. Especially Spain seems reluctant to let people apply at the embassy itself though legally they would be required to let you hand in the application at the embassy within -as a rule- 2 weeks. BLS might be able to accept the application (by appointment) within days. They will forward it to the embassy where the embassy processes the visa.

The processing should not take more than 15 calendar days unless your application is found to be lacking. But if you are a Briton and married to your Thai partner, it's an application under Freedom of Movement and the application would need to be processed ASAP and require very little documentation (see Schengen sticky). So a processing time of a few days to a week would be acceptable. At most a processing time of 15 calendar days. If the Spaniards would drag both the appointment (2 weeks waiting max) and processing (15 calendar days) you would at most spent a month getting everything in order. 

If they decide to be real c**ts  it could take up to 2 months or 3 if the application would be lacking and require further evidence and review by the MFA in Madrid.

If the optional BLS 'service provider ' is involved the emvassy would sent the passport to them and they would sent or hand it back to you depending on if you use a delivery service or chose to collect the passport yourself. BLS itself may this add a slight delay into of it all.

So I'd hope to day: a week. But I'm curious to know how poorly or well the Spaniards are actually doing right now when it comes to applications via BLS or via the embassy itself.

You say: "But I'm curious to know how poorly or well the Spaniards are actually doing right now when it comes to applications via BLS or via the embassy itself."

My girlfriend has an appointment with BLS to submit her application on February 5th.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2018 at 3:02 AM, Donutz said:

So I'd hope to day: a week. But I'm curious to know how poorly or well the Spainiards are actually doing right now when it comes to applications via BLS or via the embassy itself.

Okay Donutz - as promised:

On the face of it, compared to the likes of Canada, USA, Japan and UK, the Schengen application is a very simple, easy process. However, in practice it is not as straightforward as it could be due to some contradictory and confusing information on the BLS website. That said, when I pointed out some of the confusing and contradictory information to the BLS guy who dealt with my girlfriend’s application last Monday, he said he would “tell them to change it”. Well, lo and behold, today I see they have changed and significantly corrected the page where most of the contradictory stuff was. Maybe I was responsible for that; maybe it’s just coincidence.

Even after the application has been submitted, the confusion is not over. I had a go at the Track Application feature this morning. Under "current status" it reads: “Passport delivered at counter”. How is anyone supposed to know what that could possibly mean?

Having said all that, they were fast: The application was submitted on Feb 5th. The passport arrived back in Phuket, by EMS, this morning - the 10th.

Unfortunately, there was no one at home when the postman came this morning so he left a pink card. So we must wait until Monday morning to pick up the passport and find out what’s lurking inside.

• Thanks 1