Canadian man being held against his will in Thailand, family says

Jonathan Fairfield

7 hours ago, bangrak said:

'Russel17', sorry for it, this is, totally 'off-topic', I wanted to react previously on a few posts of yours concerning a sweet man called Peter who died in an accident on Samui, RIP, (who I actually met a countless number of times over the years), but couldn't locate it again in the meanders of TV...

Now, it seems, you do 'assume' a lot of things, and propagate info which is not correct, like some 30 km/h speed limit and pedestrian zone... which starts at bout 1/2km further (towards Nathon, in the direction the accident happened in, near Maenam 7 market), just to name one of your ...I don't know how to call such 'fake'(?) comments.

Do you 'assume' stuff in all your posts? A link maybe with the (quite) late(!) boyscouts' activities your avatar makes me think you're busy with...?

In the 'NEW INFORMATION', you're writing 'us', as if you're part of the official communication about this Canadian young man. Well, are you, really, and, please in what quality, may I ask?

I hope you're not in the same league as, alas, quite some Tourist Police volunteers, I had the opportunity to learn more about, when a friend of mine was the N°2 of it on Samui. What a bunch! 

Russel17 just quoted what was written on the gofundme page. So instead of flaming him you should just read properly ;)

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

Maybe he just he thought he was in Edmonton and could just head down 118 Ave. pick up a young girl and a bag of pot........I lived in Edmonton so I know what I am talking about.

I spent a couple of summers there myself back in the late 90s, can't really disagree. 

Me and my many friends from USA, England, Canada etc. lived and worked in Thailand for 30+ years and never had one bit of trouble. As I have worked in China, Thailand and Cuba there is always a chance to cross the line which will put you under the microscope of the local authorities so I am always skeptical when these people claim no drugs right through the trials even when caught with the drugs strapped to their bodies. Will have to see how this plays out. Maybe he just he thought he was in Edmonton and could just head down 118 Ave. pick up a young girl and a bag of pot........I lived in Edmonton so I know what I am talking about.

You only find that on 118th and the Hendey highway!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a shame that he is Canadian but again it could be of any Nationality to be so careless to play with drug in Asia go figure.

I am a Canadian that went to Thailand ten years ago while abroad for work. I knew then that the Kingdom has some harsh laws and shitty accommodations for felons. I didn’t fall off the plane at Swampy and think ‘ hmm, might want to take a walk into town and grab me a bag of weed and make a buck or two’....

This kid is a piece of work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/14/2018 at 4:09 AM, bkkcanuck8 said:

Pleading guilty to a criminal offence leaves you with a criminal record.  Pleading guilty to a lesser charge (of which I don't think there is a non-criminal drug possession charge possible) that is not a criminal offence will give you no criminal record.  But the jist of it is that he is charged with a criminal offence and even with 50% off for pleading - it is still a criminal conviction.

a friend of mine (i know that is a tough way to start a post here on thai visa but it is the truth) was arrested for possession of extasy/MDMA.  he was unaware of the ability to offer to pay the fine and go home.  he spent two weeks in the holding cell at the local police station.  friends brought him food, and they brought alot of food so other detainees could eat also.  that kept my friend out of any trouble inside.  part of the reason he was inside so long was it was over the songkran holiday.  he paid bail money (i don't know how much), they allowed him to fly back to hong kong (where he worked as an american expat), he returned to bangkok at least twice to deal with the issue, and he has never had any problem entering another country.  he travels alot for work throughout southeast asia, india, and europe.  he says the total cost of his 'problem' was more than 100,000thb (his 'fine' by the court was 5,000thb, but travel costs plus attorneys add up).  that is part of the reason why i said earlier in this thread, just pay the 'fine' immediately.  don't screw around with doing the time and trying to pay less.  and for this topic, it seems clear that his 'criminal record' has not had an impact on his life at all (other than the time spent inside and the lesson learned).

11 hours ago, buick said:

a friend of mine (i know that is a tough way to start a post here on thai visa but it is the truth) was arrested for possession of extasy/MDMA.  he was unaware of the ability to offer to pay the fine and go home.  he spent two weeks in the holding cell at the local police station.  friends brought him food, and they brought alot of food so other detainees could eat also.  that kept my friend out of any trouble inside.  part of the reason he was inside so long was it was over the songkran holiday.  he paid bail money (i don't know how much), they allowed him to fly back to hong kong (where he worked as an american expat), he returned to bangkok at least twice to deal with the issue, and he has never had any problem entering another country.  he travels alot for work throughout southeast asia, india, and europe.  he says the total cost of his 'problem' was more than 100,000thb (his 'fine' by the court was 5,000thb, but travel costs plus attorneys add up).  that is part of the reason why i said earlier in this thread, just pay the 'fine' immediately.  don't screw around with doing the time and trying to pay less.  and for this topic, it seems clear that his 'criminal record' has not had an impact on his life at all (other than the time spent inside and the lesson learned).

I have heard this exact advice about many countries in the world.  Cooperate! Pay all fines and GET THE HELL OUT OF THE COUNTRY.  You may need to get an attorney to handle giving out the 'fine' money properly and too the right people so that your case goes fast and ends promptly.  If under some miracle you are allowed to leave the country DO SO AND DO NOT RETURN!  EVER!

On 1/14/2018 at 3:57 PM, Dave67 said:

The thread is about the police in Thailand 

We need one about the internetz police. Relax your butt cheeks for a minute. Great for your sphincter. You do realize you're reposting these so called off topic posts when you make these claims?

Still nothing in the news (that I've seen) and no updates on the "gofundme" over the last 3 days. I tried to contact (via email) the news editors of the Nation and the Bangkok Post to see if they were going to report on this story but the mailbox for the editor at the Nation was "overfull" and rejecting new emails and no answer from the editor at the post.

I contacted the writer in Canada and she apparently has gotten all her information strictly from the "friends and family" though she did see the notice from Global Affairs Canada noting that "a Canadian had been arrested in Thailand" (with no other details).

Heading to Samut Prakan tomorrow, maybe I can ask a friend to ask about this when we get there. (Though he could be in a number of different holding cells I imagine ? Or is there one central one they use for people awaiting trial in Bangkok ? Not a subject I'm familiar with.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2018 at 3:33 AM, USPatriot said:

He is scamming his friends and family for money, all lost at the soi cowboy.

He needs a go fun me page

Someone is scamming someone. Who are Zozo Esse and Zoriana Shuwchuck?  Does this Canadian guy even exist? Zozo seems to be doing a fair bit of travel!