Farang food..hatyai

malagateddy

Hi All..thinking of having a holiday later in the year down in hat yai with the wife..plenty farang restaurants and bars for me???
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes. The Kingdom's 3rd largest metropolitan area is well-equipped. Anything specific you are looking for?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The OP is a comedian I suppose, a quick scan of Tripadvisor, combined with my most recent visit there ten months ago, reveals a solitary pizza restaurant in evidence, plus the usual Black Canyon type stuff. One supposes there might be other places but not so much of the farang variety, plenty of good Thai and Malay restaurants however.

Hat Yai is more popular with Malaysian & Singaporean tourists so there are far more Chinese, Chinese-Thai style restaurants here than western. It's not overflowing with farang; if that's what you're looking for better stick with the usual haunts of Pattaya, Phuket and Samui.

However, that said we do have some good western restaurants here in Hat Yai, The Basil has already been mentioned, but there's also Wine Connection and De Van Cuisine, all three are loosely Italian/French style. There's a good German restaurant called Gap's Garten and the Homeless Bar and Grill does American style burgers and ribs. If you fancy something different we've a few Japanese restaurants, a Vietnamese and a Korean BBQ.

Lots of bars and music bars around town, three main areas, central around Thumnoonvithi Road, west side of the railway line on Rajuthit Road there's the Hansa complex, and east end toward the Prince Songkhla University (PSU) on Thumnoonvithi Road there's another strip of bars more popular with students than tourists. There are a couple of clubs in Hat Yai, Bix in the Hansa complex, and Zounds on Thumnoonvithi toward PSU.

It's a long time since I needed to stay in a hotel in Hat Yai, and I'm not about to venture into a sub Bht1,000 establishment anyway, but we've many hotels in town would suggest you look through Agoda and the like I'm sure you'll find what you want.

Songkhla Town is fine for a day out but it's pretty dead for night life. As for the beach I prefer to go a little further south to Sakom, the beaches there are cleaner and there are a few nice little resorts that do a good lunch.

Archived