Chiang Mai Photographic Group's 10th Anniversary Exhibition

Greenside

The group has been going several years longer than that but this is our 10th exhibition and after three years at Maya we're back at our original home in Airport Plaza although this time on the 4th floor, next to S&P near the movie theatre.

We'll be showing almost 120 prints from 27 very talented members and invite you to join us for a glass of wine at our Grand Opening at 4:00 on Saturday Jan 20th.  It's a great opportunity to meet the photographers and see some really outstanding images.  Regular visitors know the quality of the work and the eclectic nature of the show but if you are new in town or have visitors please come along and see for yourself.

Eddy Van den Nieuwenhof_Poster.jpg

Edited by Greenside

Despite the inexplicably dumb response to my other post about the show,  the opening was very well supported and a great success so thanks to all who came and the many who left such kind comments in our Visitors' Book.  If you're in the area over the next couple of weeks, please do drop by and take a look.

5a65729c1a8c2_P1200515LowRes.thumb.jpg.6b16f5c45516dad03d848d14538f5062.jpg

5a6572b480048_P1200513LowRes.thumb.jpg.da457ed66e068371aa4ce93c9df3b764.jpg

Let's not send this thread into the same downward spiral as the other one.  The first response to the other OP was "What exactly is it?" rather than "Is there a particular subject?" which may have been what he meant but in the context of this forum it was simply begging for trouble!

This from the OP in this thread: "We'll be showing almost 120 prints from 27 very talented members and invite you to join us for a glass of wine at our Grand Opening at 4:00 on Saturday Jan 20th.  It's a great opportunity to meet the photographers and see some really outstanding images.  Regular visitors know the quality of the work and the eclectic nature of the show but if you are new in town or have visitors please come along and see for yourself." which I hope answers the question, no offence intended.

The show really is worth taking the trouble to visit and I hope you can make it. :smile:

Checked it out this morning.  Some very beautiful photographs by some very talented people.  It's the third year I've known about and intentionally gone to the group's photo exhibition and hope there are many more.  Thanks to the Photographic Group.

Some very good photos, amazing how technologically advanced the new breed of cameras are..... it is simply astonishing what you can achieve even ( like me and I admit it)  with limited understanding of aperture settings etc, but thats to take nothing away from dedicated photographers!

Edited by EL159

With cameras as clever as they now are, the technical aspects of photography (and image making in general, if you include the simple filters available in applications aimed at online sharing) have been elevated to stage 2 as it were, allowing almost anyone with creative vision to produce satisfying pictures from the start.

Over the years, I've noticed a huge increase in interest from people who clearly had no intention of stopping and then proceed to spend twenty minutes or more carefully taking in every image, and I'm sure this is largely because they can now easily relate to their own picture taking experiences.  Many more people asking about the printing (this year ours is by Photobug, by the way) and choosing a camera too.

Most of the photographers who have work in this exhibition have spent years taking pictures and it shows, but all of us agree that we never, ever stop learning.

Ansel Adams' famous quote “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.” is even truer now that many of the technical aspects can be left to a computer.

I personally know of two images taken with camera phones that were selected for previous exhibits.  I'm uncertain if that proves that camera phones have matched dedicated cameras for capturing images or not.  I do think it shows that equipment is less important than having good artistic eyes and realizing a photographic opportunity when it is presented. 

Edited by Rice_King

Just been today and it was wonderful. The standard is really nice. After 10 minutes looking at the photos I went off to eat lunch, but felt compelled to go back and enjoy them all again. They are actually intimidatingly good for a novice photographer like me. :post-4641-1156694572:

Thanks for the effort y'all put into it, might pop back before it closes on 4th February as I noticed I missed a couple the 2nd time I looked, so may have missed something else.

Martin.

Edited by mat999

This 10-year anniversary exhibition shows some exceptional quality work. From in-the-moment street photography, to stunning portraits, macro photography, nature as well as landscapes there really is something for everyone to enjoy. Congratulations Chiang Mai Photographic Group.