Passports quandary

My Thai wife holds a Thai National Passport also holds a New Zealand Passport where we were married and lived there for 12 years,we are now retired and live in Isaan for last  6 years

When we book air tickets should she use Thai passport (with Thai surname) On arrival in NZ if she uses NZ one her surname is the same as mine, which will not match name on her ticket. Similar situation on return to Thailand but in reverse

Just a bit confusing, is there a simple answer please

She could be denied boarding in NZ when she departs as the name on her NZ passport does not matched the name on her ticket. I have seen this happen. I take it she is still in Thailand. She needs her marriage certificate, and get her Thai Passport changed to her married name. This may also require her to change her name on her  Thai house book and Thai ID.

27 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

She could be denied boarding in NZ when she departs as the name on her NZ passport does not matched the name on her ticket. I have seen this happen. I take it she is still in Thailand. She needs her marriage certificate, and get her Thai Passport changed to her married name. This may also require her to change her name on her  Thai house book and Thai ID.

I am pretty sure that the airline will be quite happy to issue her departure boarding pass if she shows them BOTH passports. The principal bio metrics in both documents will match, ie picture, date of birth, place of birth with only the surname being different. She would probably need to show her Thai passort when she does the NZ check-in so the airline knows her immigration status in Thailand (Thai citizen). She will also need to show her kiwi passport at check-in in Bangkok so the airline knows has her NZ immigration status (NZ citizen).

When it comes to Immigration, she departs and re-enters Thailand on her Thai passport while she enters and departs NZ on the kiwi one. Neither immigration needs to see the other country's passport although the stickybeaks at AKL may ask her if she has 2 passports and want to see it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I am pretty sure that the airline will be quite happy to issue her departure boarding pass if she shows them BOTH passports. The principal bio metrics in both documents will match, ie picture, date of birth, place of birth with only the surname being different. She would probably need to show her Thai passort when she does the NZ check-in so the airline knows her immigration status in Thailand (Thai citizen). She will also need to show her kiwi passport at check-in in Bangkok so the airline knows has her NZ immigration status (NZ citizen).

When it comes to Immigration, she departs and re-enters Thailand on her Thai passport while she enters and departs NZ on the kiwi one. Neither immigration needs to see the other country's passport although the stickybeaks at AKL may ask her if she has 2 passports and want to see it.

I hope your correct but I would not bet on it. I have seen airlines recently deny boarding over this issue. 

1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

I hope your correct but I would not bet on it. I have seen airlines recently deny boarding over this issue. 

Very true and the old 'your experience may vary' adage certainly does apply. Showing both passports at check-in for flights leaving and flights returning to LOS has been sage advice for many years but there's always the one check-in clerk with a misinformed 'by the book' notion wherein referring to said book would quickly prove them wrong. The risks are highest at airports where the airline check-in crews are subcontracted and not direct airline employees. These subcontractors would be the ones having to cough up to their client airline if a staffer got it wrong and someone was refused entry so even their supervisory staff, if not an airline employee, will back up the clerk and enforce a wrong decision rather than look up the rule book and/or risk it.

I would recommend that the OP puts this question directly to the carrier they will be flying with.