Sukhumvit’s Chuvit Garden To Be Paved Over For Mall

webfact

On 1/18/2018 at 1:50 PM, toughlove said:

It's not fair to criticize the owner. It's private land and he is entitled to what's going to be a monumental profit. Any sensible person would do the same thing

Perhaps it is fair, when you consider that Chuwit first illegally had businesses on the site demolished overnight years ago, and only after the controversy over that, voluntarily made the decision to turn the site into a privately owned, but public use, small park.

It was during a period when he was facing a criminal case over the demolition, and arguably was done to curry favor with the public and perhaps the authorities who many years later finally brought the case against him to conclusion with a short prison sentence that he just recently completed serving.

The park has been open for more than 10 years now, and it's probably not coincidental that his decision to have the park demolished comes AFTER the conclusion of the criminal case against him and his brief prison sentence being completed. As in, the purpose for which I "gave" the park as a gift to the public no longer serves any purpose, so cut down the trees and fountains, and back to making money.

So yes, I have no problem criticizing him for being an "Indian giver" with his original gift.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No, I didn't say that. 

Do you really think that building one mall has a significant negative effect on the environment?

You said "When construction is completed how will a mall particularly produce dirtier air than a park with the same number of people using them?"

I guess we would have to define the use of the word "particularly". 

In regards to the impact of one mall on the environment, we would have to define "significant". 

Edited by JimShorts

Perhaps it is fair, when you consider that Chuwit first illegally had businesses on the site demolished overnight years ago, and only after the controversy over that, voluntarily made the decision to turn the site into a privately owned, but public use, small park.

It was during a period when he was facing a criminal case over the demolition, and arguably was done to curry favor with the public and perhaps the authorities who many years later finally brought the case against him to conclusion with a short prison sentence that he just recently completed serving.

The park has been open for more than 10 years now, and it's probably not coincidental that his decision to have the park demolished comes AFTER the conclusion of the criminal case against him and his brief prison sentence being completed. As in, the purpose for which I "gave" the park as a gift to the public no longer serves any purpose, so cut down the trees and fountains, and back to making money.

So yes, I have no problem criticizing him for being an "Indian giver" with his original gift.
Go and leave your own park then . Problem solved

On 1/19/2018 at 1:02 AM, Just Weird said:

He ran legal massage businesses.  How do you think he acquitted his wealth?

"Legal massage businesses"???  Really? Are you joking?

I would think it's pretty well understood by almost everyone that his businesses were fronts for prostitution, which was and is illegal in Thailand -- despite the authorities often being paid off and looking the other way, as Chuvit later publicly admitted and railed against the police over during his time as a politician.

And more interesting to note: the authorities recently raided the Victoria-The Secret Forever "massage parlor" in Bangkok and accused it not only of prostitution but also trafficking in underage girls. Based on the numbers in news reports, about 10% of the young women working there were believed to be under-age.

Curiously, it turns out that Chuvit was the former owner of that business, until he sold it some years ago to the current owner along with several other of his "massage parlors."  Would be kind of interesting to know what percentage of the young women working there during his time might have been underage. Or do you think that trend only began lately under the current owner...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, toughlove said:

Go and leave your own park then . Problem solved

I didn't make my fortune off of illegal prostitution, and then illegally demolish a large area of small businesses in a midnight raid on the site that he later turned into a park.

In the aftermath, Chuvit "gifted" the park to the people of Bangkok despite maintaining ownership. He developed and gave the park of his own volition. No one forced him to.

If he was a man of honor, he would have left his gift and legacy of the park intact -- instead of being an "Indian giver" who giveth and then taketh away.

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"Legal massage businesses"???  Really? Are you joking?

I would think it's pretty well understood by almost everyone that his businesses were fronts for prostitution, which was and is illegal in Thailand -- despite the authorities often being paid off and looking the other way, as Chuvit later publicly admitted and railed against the police over during his time as a politician.

And more interesting to note: the authorities recently raided the Victoria-The Secret Forever "massage parlor" in Bangkok and accused it not only of prostitution but also trafficking in underage girls. Based on the numbers in news reports, about 10% of the young women working there were believed to be under-age.

Curiously, it turns out that Chuvit was the former owner of that business, until he sold it some years ago to the current owner along with several other of his "massage parlors."  Would be kind of interesting to know what percentage of the young women working there during his time might have been underage. Or do you think that trend only began lately under the current owner...

However much of a grey area he operated in, his businesses were all legal, registered massage/entertainment businesses.  Was he ever accused of anything illegal in relation to those places, was he ever raided on suspicion of being involved in human trafficking?  What is "pretty well understood by almost everyone" is neither here nor there.

His previous ownership of Victoria's has not "curiously" just been discovered, it's been common knowledge for years but, yes, it would be interesting to know the ages of the workers all those years ago, could just as easily all be over the legal age.   I have no idea when the "trend" as you describe it, began but without any evidence it seems to be a fatuous thing to suggest about him at this stage. 

8 hours ago, markaoffy said:

Wrong ! Where’s your stats ? The majority are non aircon red BMTA buses with the other private small orange buses and other privately owned companies running on gasoline! Facts!

Maybe in the bts-area they have clean (but still very old) buses but not here in the subs....When driving motocy it's awfull to be behind one, worst is behind one at a red stoplight and not being able to pass it, it's like being in a gasroom.

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I didn't make my fortune off of illegal prostitution, and then illegally demolish a large area of small businesses in a midnight raid on the site that he later turned into a park.

In the aftermath, Chuvit "gifted" the park to the people of Bangkok despite maintaining ownership. He developed and gave the park of his own volition. No one forced him to.

If he was a man of honor, he would have left his gift and legacy of the park intact -- instead of being an "Indian giver" who giveth and then taketh away.

He gifted the use of the park to the people of Bangkok, that's all.  He had no intention and no obligation to donate it to the BMA.  Being a man of honour doesn't come into it.

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

He gifted the use of the park to the people of Bangkok, that's all.  He had no intention and no obligation to donate it to the BMA.  Being a man of honour doesn't come into it.

Yes, he gifted the USE of the park to the public, and now he's revoking his gift. Not much honor in that.

AFAIK, he never said the gift was just meant to be temporary until he had finished his legal troubles over the demolition case. And AFAIK, he never during all the ensuing years publicly mentioned the notion of killing the park and taking the land back anytime since it was built -- until now.

(I never said he donated the land or ownership of it to anyone.)

18 hours ago, HooHaa said:

you are aware that one of the largest green spaces in bangkok exists at the end of soi 10, the combination of benjakitti park and the new park on TTM grounds?

Yes, fully aware. Apologies though as I thought we were talking about Chuvit Park.

21 hours ago, JimShorts said:

:) 

1. Fact, building a mall causes more air pollution then a park. 

2. Fact, trees absorb air pollution. 

3. Ok fair enough. However PM2.5 can travel hundreds of miles, perhaps all materials are manufactured further away. 

4. Fact, more large trucks will drive to the construction site then to the park. 

5. Fact, new construction materials emit more VOC then a park. 

6. Fact, more electricity is needed for a mall then a park. 

7-10. Fact, more large trucks will drive daily to the mall to deliver goods then to a park. Consumer goods give off more VOCs then a park. People will drive more cars into a mall then a park. 

11. Fact, air in a mall is often worse then air in a park. Air inside a building is often worse then air outside a building. Buildings do not make the air outside better (they make it worse) and building make the air inside worse, overall making the air worse. 

Thanks for beating me to it arguing with a poster who does not even understand photosynthesis let alone how does he think they are going to tear out the trees? Thai lumberjacks with hand saws?:cheesy:

There are very very few instances where you you will ever find a poster on TVF admit he is wrong anyway.

IMHO, there's more than a little sad irony to see the BMA popping up the other day warning about excessive (over Thai health limits) particulate air pollution and talking about the need to plant more trees in the Central City / Pathumwan area...

And amidst it all, here comes Khun Chuvit who want to demolish a small park not far away, rip out all the trees and put up another hotel that Bangkok certainly doesn't need. And what's the BMA doing about all this -- probably only asking the site developers how high they want to build their future high-rise.

Apparently, the BMA has been too busy NOT installing elevators in the BTS stations the past several years despite a court order that they do so, and NOT forcing the demolition of the over-height Aetas hotel/condos the past several years, once again, despite a final, un-appealable court order that they do so, among various other things they've NOT been doing.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Dude that man has more honor in his toe nail than you have in your whole body

Remind us again what you have contributed to society here or anywhere else. A link will suffice [emoji3]

Don't tell us again it's not about you because if you slam somebody on an open forum your have the right to be questioned.

IMHO, there's more than a little sad irony to see the BMA popping up the other day warning about excessive (over Thai health limits) particulate air pollution and talking about the need to plant more trees in the Central City / Pathumwan area...

And amidst it all, here comes Khun Chuvit who want to demolish a small park not far away, rip out all the trees and put up another hotel that Bangkok certainly doesn't need. And what's the BMA doing about all this -- probably only asking the site developers how high they want to build their future high-rise.

Apparently, the BMA has been too busy NOT installing elevators in the BTS stations the past several years despite a court order that they do so, and NOT forcing the demolition of the over-height Aetas hotel/condos the past several years, once again, despite a final, un-appealable court order that they do so, among various other things they've NOT been doing.

Court orders, BMA, rule of law! Non existent in a country and city the hub of selfishness and corruption

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app