Calcium CT Scan

fvw53

Watching news about the health of Donald Trump I learn about a Calcium CT Scan :  I never heard about this before but as I am still older than Trump  I believe it should be included in my yearly check-up in Bangkok.  Does anybody know how much this costs in a Thai hospital (if they offer CT scans)

CT is a relatively high dose of radiation so do not believe it is normally used as a routine check-up tool.  Even us old folks do not need extra.  Below is comment on this from WebMD:

Your body is exposed to radiation during the test, about the same amount you would normally get in a year. Because of that, you want to get this scan only if it can tell you something useful.

https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/coronary-calcium-scan#1

Also a carotid ultrasound to test for narrowed carotid arteries, which increase the risk of stroke.

Carotid arteries are usually narrowed by a buildup of plaque — made up of fat, cholesterol, calcium and or other substances that circulate in the bloodstream. Early diagnosis and treatment of a narrowed carotid artery can decrease stroke risk and give you the heads up so you can change diet and lifestyle then check again to monitor you progress .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

from my own experience, the calcium scoring test was critical to my doctors decision to follow up with a heart catheter procedure in a timely manner.. i am , for the most part, asymptomatic. although sheryl points out this is a money maker test for hospitals, this might be true in thailand but not the usa. this test in the usa is done for under 200 usd. the stress tests and lipid panel were not true indicators in my case. the  calcium scoring test was critical in my case to getting the proper care. 

33 minutes ago, rjbangkok said:

from my own experience, the calcium scoring test was critical to my doctors decision to follow up with a heart catheter procedure in a timely manner.. i am , for the most part, asymptomatic. although sheryl points out this is a money maker test for hospitals, this might be true in thailand but not the usa. this test in the usa is done for under 200 usd. the stress tests and lipid panel were not true indicators in my case. the  calcium scoring test was critical in my case to getting the proper care. 

Suspect the cost in USA is low as most insurance will not pay for it as it is not considered reliable or a true indicator and presents a risk due radiation exposure (more if done more than once).  What it is useful for is those with moderate risk and helping to get them involved with preventative actions if test indicates high calcium.  Believe below is fair evaluation and in plain English; but I only speak as a patient (who has not had this test).

Key points to remember
A coronary calcium scan checks for calcium buildup in the coronary arteries. Calcium in these arteries may be a sign of heart disease. A high score on a calcium scan can mean that you have a higher chance of having a heart attack than someone with a low score.
The results of a coronary calcium scan may prompt you to make some lifestyle changes, such as exercising, eating better, losing weight, and quitting smoking. You might also decide to take medicine such as cholesterol or blood pressure medicine.
People who are at medium risk for heart disease will get the most benefit from this test. Your doctor can help you find out your risk. Knowing your risk for a heart attack is a key part of your decision to get a scan.
A calcium scan is not helpful to patients who have a low or high risk of heart disease.
A calcium scan can give your doctor more information about your risk for heart disease. If you have a high score, you and your doctor may decide to start or change treatment to lower your risk.
You could get a high score from the test even if your arteries do not have signs of heart disease. This could lead to other tests or treatments that you don't need.
Not all arteries that have early signs of heart disease have calcium. So you could get a low calcium score and still be at risk.
Not all health plans will pay for this test. The cost can range from about $100 to $400.

https://www.uwhealth.org/health/topic/decisionpoint/coronary-calcium-scan-should-i-have-this-test/av2072.html

bcbs < blue cross blue shield> has now approved this test as medically necessary as stated in their public policy...some states such as texas have also passed laws to make sure this test is insurance covered.  ..some years ago there was some question as to the importance of this testing but no longer the case....http://shapesociety.org/the-first-heart-attack-preventive-screening-bill-becomes-law-in-texas/

again, this test was critical in my own health situation, this test might save someone else. 

Sorry but I see no indication that BS/BC would cover this as a preventive test (at least not on my policy 2018 book).  As a diagnostic test expect it would be covered, as any other CT scan, ordered for a medical reason.

Pyithai Sriracha offer a CAC scan. I got a CAC score as part of a heart MRI with iodine injection (total cost about 18k), but  they can do the scan without the iodine to get the CAC score, I expect the cost would be around 10k.

It is argued that the CAC is a more reliable indicator of heart problems that the usual indicators.