Tourists injured as Phuket pier shuttle bus crashes

rooster59

Tourists injured as Phuket pier shuttle bus crashes 

Eakkapop Thongtub

1516418493_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: Ten Chinese tourists were taken to hospital for minor injuries yesterday (Jan 19) when the driver of their shuttle bus crashed due to “failed brakes” into a sala on Ao Po Pier in Pa Khlok, on Phuket’s east coast.

Capt Natthi Pichitchainitimet of the Thalang Police was notified of the accident at about 3:40pm.

Thalang Police, Pa Khlok Municipality rescue workers and Kusoldharm rescue workers arrived at the scene to provide assistance to find “many tourists lying on the ground, some crying out in pain”, reported Capt Natthi.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/tourists-injured-as-phuket-pier-shuttle-bus-crashes-65651.php#PTMYpVwtUTWBp7Li.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-01-20

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

I suppose it could have been worse, they could've been dropped into the ocean.

How fast do they drive these shuttles along a pier?

Normally not very fast. 30km/h or similar at the middle and normally they do slow down before going to the slope down.

I guess this incident works as a good reminder to use seatbelts. Even very slow speed with sudden stop, can cause injuries.

In 50 odd years of driving all kinds of vehicles,plus running

a fleet of HGV's,never experienced "brake failure",while here

it seems to be a bit of an epidemic, i really think it is "Brain failure"

regards worgeordie

12 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

Seatbelts?

Besides cars, taxis and elephants, what has seatbelts? Tuk Tuks? Song Thaews? Busses? Trains? MRT?

Minibuses these days are required to have seatbelts.

36 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

Seatbelts?

Besides cars, taxis and elephants, what has seatbelts? Tuk Tuks? Song Thaews? Busses? Trains? MRT?

Seatbelts in general. One can learn from one type incident and apply the learnings to another type of situation. In this case for example driving a car or traveling by bus.

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

Seatbelts in general. One can learn from one type incident and apply the learnings to another type of situation. In this case for example driving a car or traveling by bus.

I understand, I use them whenever they're available, but I doubt that wrecked tourist "bus" had them. Looks like a four wheeled tuk tuk for ten people. I'm presently in Mexico, and none of the buses have seat belts. If Thai buses have gotten them since I last rode one that's unexpected progress that puts them ahead of many other countries.

9 hours ago, oilinki said:

Normally not very fast. 30km/h or similar at the middle and normally they do slow down before going to the slope down.

I guess this incident works as a good reminder to use seatbelts. Even very slow speed with sudden stop, can cause injuries.

These types of vehicles don't even have seatbelts in more safety conscious countries.