Grand Prix will generate Bt1 billion for Thailand

rooster59

Grand Prix will generate Bt1 billion for Thailand

By LERPONG AMSA-NGIAM 
THE NATION

6c474760e5c574d905630e7e2eda6266.jpeg

Sports Authority of Thailand governor Sakon Wannapong shows the first Ptt Thailand Grand Prix ticket that he purchased.

SPORTS AUTHORITY of Thailand governor Sakon Wannapong says more than Bt1 billion will be generated by the Ptt Thailand motorcycling Grand Prix at the Buri Ram International Circuit in October.

The SAT boss said a huge income would be generated during the competition between October 5-7 in the northeastern province. Thailand has a three-year-contract to host the MotoGP and must pay around Bt4 million (Bt100m by the government and Bt300 million by the private sector) each year for the license and organฌization.

“Around 100,000 people from all over the world will visit Thailand during that time and boost the country’s cashflow. We will invest 400 million but gain 1 billion, which I think is a great benefit,” Sakon said yesterday.

Sakon confirmed that all the sport’s superstars, including current world champion Marc Marquez of Spain and former champion Valentino Rossi of Italy, had signed up for the Winter Test from February 16-18. 

Those two stars will also bring their favourite items to be auctioned off for charity on Sunday, February 18.

On February 17, Sakon will lead a convoy of bikers from SAT office in Bangkok to Buri Ram as a part of promotional activities for the Winter Test and Ptt Thailand Grand Prix.

Tickets for the MotoGP Thailand went on sale yesterday at at 7-Eleven shops. Grandstand tickets cost Bt4,000 and it is Bt2,000 for the side stands. There is a 15 per cent Early Bird for those buying tickets before February 19 and Sakon himself bought the first ticket yesterday at Bt3,420, the discounted price from Bt4,000.

Sakon said all hotel rooms in Buri Ram have been fully booked during the October race but homestays in the province are also available as a new option for fans.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/sports/30336717

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-20
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Deli said:

They even would have gotten some k's more from my pocket as well but as they can't even organize a piss in a brewery, I have to stay away.

No hotel rooms in Buriram for visitors.

Lots around the area if you look. Don’t have to stay in the town. In the UK very few people actually stay at the track site

• Like 1

I have a big bike.

I like moto GP

But how many thai bikers will die when they will drive back home thinking they are Valentino Rossi?

They are already crazy on the thai roads! I see them sometimes! 

And also... Where people will sleep.. Nothing for 100,000 people in Buriram??

Sepang GP in Malaysia is not far from KL not far from Airport...

Buriram is far from big cities from airports from BKK... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

This would be the official GP. A chunk of the money might go towards treating the mental issues of the toe-rags who succumb to the lure of the daily unofficial version, on the roads.

FYI,

the owners used to open the drag racing track to motorbikes every Friday to try and teach them about speed.  To sure if it’s still going on. Everyone racing had to dress properly including boots and helmet.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

must pay around Bt4 million (Bt100m by the government and Bt300 million by the private sector) each year for the license and organฌization.

Holy crap ,I knew corruption was  bad here but thats a 396million baht mark up, is  he buying BIG BEN now to go on his wrist!

37 minutes ago, carabaothai said:

And also... Where people will sleep.. Nothing for 100,000 people in Buriram??

Sepang GP in Malaysia is not far from KL not far from Airport...

Buriram is far from big cities from airports from BKK... 

Slow down Mr Glass-half-empty, the main event aint until October.

Sepang may be close to KLIA but it's in the bloody wilderness compared to KLCC.

Think 'Field of Dreams' and "If you build it they will come..."

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Rather negative. They’ve run many motorsport events very successfully. Suggest you visit there yourself before passing judgement.

I see way too many unsuccessful motor sport events on Thailand's roads on a daily basis. Maybe it's not a good idea to heat up the mood of more infantile "motor sport enthusiasts" in this country.

Good to see Valentino onboard for the February showpiece. He had already ridden the circuit last year when the MotoGP turned from wish-list to reality and described it as boring. Pretty sure that his contractual obligations are the reason behind his appearance in the promotional but I would go and see it if I was in LOS next month.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2018 at 4:57 PM, NanLaew said:

The apathetic comments from someone with absolutely no real interest in MotoGP anyway, doesn't have a clue where Buriram is but likes a bit of a Thai bash with his mates down the pub. Glass half-empty.

The refreshing comments of someone who actively follows MotoGP, appreciates Thailand for what it is and likes to get out of the house a bit. Glass half-full.

You don't know me. That's ok. Not withstanding, Rossi is of the same opinion about the venue. Hope it's a great success regardless.

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:10 AM, Thai Chi said:

Yes.

Very easy as well. 7/11 have been selling since last Friday afternoon.

Take passport for ID. Give them a 'phone number for SMS confirmation. Pick a stand. Pay for it.

I showed a Honda motorcycle key and got another 20% off the early bird price.

2740 Baht for the event and that ticket allows you to attend the Winter testing for free.

Got them lastnight 3400 for main grandstand .If I don't go the nephew will have no problem finding people to go with him. Just hope its sunny !! :smile:

• Like 2