Nearly 100 patrons of Chon Buri bar face drugs-use charges

rooster59

Nearly 100 patrons of Chon Buri bar face drugs-use charges

By The Nation

b9bd9fd3d7c5304162838ac6a50c2c22.png

A Sunday morning raid of a well-known pub in Chon Buri’s Sri Racha district netted 94 patrons who tested positive for illicit drugs.

Police and administrative officials said the “Club Nine” pub in Tambon Bo Win may be hit with a five-year shutter allowed under the powerful Section 44-backed order 22/2558 of the National Council for Peace and Order.

cb3453ab0893c91e8ba9466cf8075070.png

The 1.30am raid by a 30-strong team of Bo Win police and Sri Racha district officials followed public complaints that Club Nine had allowed entry to persons under age 20 and that some customers were using drugs.

They found some 200 patrons drinking indoors and another 50 drinking on an outdoor balcony. Seeing police, patrons threw away drugs they were carrying.

5efc88993cb79971675d206b177c9a34.png

Officers retrieved 30 bags of ketamine and crystal methamphetamine or “ice” from the floor.

Officers had all 250 patrons undergo urine tests for substance abuse, with positive results for the presence of illicit drugs in 76 males and 18 females.

f57de6fdd3bb661f9961360bcbd67c82.png

Officers also found five patrons under age 20.

Pub manger Yongyuth Sirimahachaikul, 41, was charged with operating a pub without a licence and selling alcohol-based drinks to persons under 20. He was also charged with negligence in allegedly allowing patrons to consume drugs in the venue, while the 94 patrons who tested positive for drugs use were charged with drug abuse.

Yongyuth told police he was unaware that some patrons were using drugs.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30336780

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-21

It's a sick law. The proven most harmful drug of all, alcohol is sold freely and aggressively while recreational drugs which have never been proven undoubtedly to be as harmful as alcohol can make users be charged simply for taking them.

I obviously accept that recreational drugs impair a person significantly, but what business is that of the authorities unless the person is driving or operating complex machinery. 

These piss tests are purely a money maker for corrupt cops. Nothing more

3 minutes ago, z42 said:

It's a sick law. The proven most harmful drug of all, alcohol is sold freely and aggressively...

That's the most idiotic argument ever. All it will get you is that the prohibitionists will outlaw booze on top of the already banned 'recreational' drugs you obviously wish to have made legal.

Apart from that, reading helps: 'Pub manger... was charged with.... selling alcohol-based drinks to persons under 20.'

10 minutes ago, z42 said:

It's a sick law. The proven most harmful drug of all, alcohol is sold freely and aggressively while recreational drugs which have never been proven undoubtedly to be as harmful as alcohol can make users be charged simply for taking them.

I obviously accept that recreational drugs impair a person significantly, but what business is that of the authorities unless the person is driving or operating complex machinery. 

You're taking the piss aren't you?

2 hours ago, z42 said:

They found mainly ICE. Sure that's not as harmful as alcohol? Now please, take a moment and think again. ICE as in Meth less harmful than alcohol is that what you are saying??

Harmful or not is not so much the point in the rather astounding arguments of some here....on these grounds, one could even start an argument claiming that plainly breathing the polluted air in Bangkok, Athenes or Mexico can be a worse health hazard then drugs ??!!!!

What the point is that these drugs are illegal, can get you in jail and are elaborated with criminal means, often used to finance other despicable criminal activities ...approving the drug trade from production to consumption,  can be an implicit mean to caution financing human trafficking, illegal arms trade, terrorism and much more....

You caution all that ?...sorry, not me..

Edited by observer90210

25 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

They found mainly ICE. Sure that's not as harmful as alcohol? Now please, take a moment and think again. ICE as in Meth less harmful than alcohol is that what you are saying??

No. Crystal meth and ketamine was found on the floor but the article makes no mention of what drugs those arrested were taking. You can assume but that is up to you.

For all we know they could have pissed positive for weed, mdma, or something else much less harmful than alcohol or crystal meth.

Get down off your high horse. Unless people are endangering others while intoxicated it is my personal opinion that the cops have no moral justification for making you piss in a pot.

You can argue the toss all you want. It is a sick law and is open to blatant abuse by a police force with one of the worst track records for fiddling drug tests and planting drugs going.

These youngsters now have criminal records and it will make their futures a lot more complicated, i think this is too high a price to pay. Prohibition has failed miserably and does much more harm than good

2 hours ago, z42 said:

No. Crystal meth and ketamine was found on the floor but the article makes no mention of what drugs those arrested were taking. You can assume but that is up to you.

For all we know they could have pissed positive for weed, mdma, or something else much less harmful than alcohol or crystal meth.

Get down off your high horse. Unless people are endangering others while intoxicated it is my personal opinion that the cops have no moral justification for making you piss in a pot.

You can argue the toss all you want. It is a sick law and is open to blatant abuse by a police force with one of the worst track records for fiddling drug tests and planting drugs going.

These youngsters now have criminal records and it will make their futures a lot more complicated, i think this is too high a price to pay. Prohibition has failed miserably and does much more harm than good

555 get down off my high horse? just made a perfectly reasonable and valid point. you get of your high horse perhaps. they found only kethamine and ice so yes i think it's perfectly reasonable to assume thats what most tested for. i didn't argue anything that seems to be your thing. if someone makes a point you feel the need to answer get off your high horse. what more can i say. sad

**the pictures of the straws and shit on the floor. for using mdma and weed? or meth??

not worth bothering with people like you. the evidence is all there and i don't need clarification from the article to know damn well most of them would have tested positive for meth and K. if you like wandering through life blinkered then i wish you the best in that. really

Edited by Happy enough

17 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Harmful or not is not so much the point in the rather astounding arguments of some here....on these grounds, one could even start an argument claiming that plainly breathing the polluted air in Bangkok, Athenes or Mexico can be a worse health hazard then drugs ??!!!!

What the point is that these drugs are illegal, can get you in jail and are elaborated with criminal means, often used to finance other despicable criminal activities ...approving the drug trade from production to consumption,  can be an implicit mean to caution financing human trafficking, illegal arms trade, terrorism and much more....

To speak like you, one must see beyond the tip of his nose, it is not the case of many:smile:

Build more jails to hold the influx of those busted for ignoring the prohibition and disregarding the morality laws.  Where's Elliot Ness?  That's probably Sonchai Jitpleechee nowadays.  :wink:

16 hours ago, Chivas said:

Good excellent news. Bang them all up bar none only way people learn is a decent stretch to clean and clear their heads

Chivas Regal for the house!  Bang those evil druggies!  "Cheers! Bottoms up!"  Ahhhh.
Another round bartend. 

18 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Actually, it is the very fact that the drugs are illegal that in turn ensures that the drug trade is run by criminals. It is then these same criminals that use their illicit incomes to branch out into other criminal activity. By legalizing drugs, you put the production and distribution into the hands of licensed, legal businesses, who are far less likely to engage in other criminal activity. This is one of the strongest arguments for legalization (aside from personal freedom).

The issue, as I see it, is that some drugs are very dangerous, so their legalization becomes a very difficult issue to address. That said, it has clearly been demonstrated that criminalization of these drugs has not worked. So, what is the best answer? I wish I was smart enough to say...

On 21/01/2018 at 3:14 PM, z42 said:

A sick law that promotes corruption, lazy policing and supports mafia groups and terrorism. It is not the business of the state to police the mind's of people. The USA is even sicker. The war on drugs is as war on the people.

2 hours ago, timendres said:

Actually, it is the very fact that the drugs are illegal that in turn ensures that the drug trade is run by criminals. It is then these same criminals that use their illicit incomes to branch out into other criminal activity. By legalizing drugs, you put the production and distribution into the hands of licensed, legal businesses, who are far less likely to engage in other criminal activity. This is one of the strongest arguments for legalization (aside from personal freedom).

The issue, as I see it, is that some drugs are very dangerous, so their legalization becomes a very difficult issue to address. That said, it has clearly been demonstrated that criminalization of these drugs has not worked. So, what is the best answer? I wish I was smart enough to say...

Ban skateboarding and Rugby.

What can be of concern when the Thai cops make you piss on the street,  is  the efficiency of the test....

...it can also be tempting for many a corrupt Thai Police officer to falsify the test, or lie, just to put pressure on the innocent tourist, threaten him with jail/fine, to extorting money to release the victim/target who never took drugs....

With this in mind, such despicable actions must be reported by the victims in the international press.  It may stop giving a laissez-passer to the Thai cops for extortion, from innocent tourists who never take drugs.

Edited by observer90210

it is thailand; so when the 'waters' of the many is poured, it often all gets mixed together, to save the lazy wishing it out individually...

what a great lazy way for a lab to do the big test, to put all the peese' all in the one big batch, and...

Image result for water ceremony buddhist temple

what better way than this, to increase their Batting Average!

6 hours ago, timendres said:

You have many sensible points. Legalize and it will encourage a higer ratio of society to consume with the obvious consequences...maintain illegal and it continues to flourish underworld financing.....it a bit like having to chose between cancer or aids.....

An interesting alternative that has been sucessfully tested and implemented in some western nations  is to enable the hard core addicts to get their shots in premises supervised by state health and social entities. The addicts come, get their shots of methadone substitute, stay in the premises while they get high and then leave. This has drastically reduced street level trafficking of heroin with the related crime perpetrated by drug users to finance their addictions.

But the problem does remain unsolved with other "recreational" style drugs like meth, cocaine etc...that is used and abused by "tom-dick-harry or somchai", for which a solution seems quite a puzzle to figure out.

On 1/21/2018 at 7:14 PM, z42 said:

You probably regret stating the above, if not you should.

16 hours ago, observer90210 said:

You have many sensible points. Legalize and it will encourage a higer ratio of society to consume with the obvious consequences...maintain illegal and it continues to flourish underworld financing.....it a bit like having to chose between cancer or aids.....

An interesting alternative that has been sucessfully tested and implemented in some western nations  is to enable the hard core addicts to get their shots in premises supervised by state health and social entities. The addicts come, get their shots of methadone substitute, stay in the premises while they get high and then leave. This has drastically reduced street level trafficking of heroin with the related crime perpetrated by drug users to finance their addictions.

But the problem does remain unsolved with other "recreational" style drugs like meth, cocaine etc...that is used and abused by "tom-dick-harry or somchai", for which a solution seems quite a puzzle to figure out.

Exactly right. The other advantage to legalization is the ability to tax sales. Those taxes can be applied to both education and treatment centers, as well as provide information ("this stuff can destroy you!", for example) to purchasers at the point of sale. If the government uses the tax revenues to educate citizens as to the dangers of various drugs, one would hope consumption would go down. For those still daring enough to play with dangerous drugs, tax funded treatment centers can be in place to assist them when they lose control, as opposed to unfunded prisons to lock them up. Frankly, I do not believe that legalization will encourage increased consumption. Whereas the criminal elements, enabled by the current laws, have every incentive to encourage drug use. Furthermore, labeling users who have lost control as "criminals", as opposed to "patients", reduces their willingness to come forward for help. I believe that social pressure (especially families), combined with tax funded education programs, will prove more helpful than laws in terms of discouraging dangerous drug use.

On 22/01/2018 at 4:39 AM, connda said:

Chivas Regal for the house!  Bang those evil druggies!  "Cheers! Bottoms up!"  Ahhhh.
Another round bartend. 

you'll need to elaborate as not a scooby as to what you are talking about

On 23/01/2018 at 6:31 AM, timendres said:

Exactly right. The other advantage to legalization is the ability to tax sales. Those taxes can be applied to both education and treatment centers, as well as provide information ("this stuff can destroy you!", for example) to purchasers at the point of sale. If the government uses the tax revenues to educate citizens as to the dangers of various drugs, one would hope consumption would go down. For those still daring enough to play with dangerous drugs, tax funded treatment centers can be in place to assist them when they lose control, as opposed to unfunded prisons to lock them up. Frankly, I do not believe that legalization will encourage increased consumption. Whereas the criminal elements, enabled by the current laws, have every incentive to encourage drug use. Furthermore, labeling users who have lost control as "criminals", as opposed to "patients", reduces their willingness to come forward for help. I believe that social pressure (especially families), combined with tax funded education programs, will prove more helpful than laws in terms of discouraging dangerous drug use.

Once again, you highlight many interesting points. I would like to suggest one starting point on any war on drugs. A nationwide random sweep  surprise test on all members of parliament, ministers, governers, policy  makers members of the judiciary, police officers, lawyers....of course it will be something enormous, almost perhaps impossible, depending on the size of the country...but on the other hand, one  simple test to expose those in a position of power and addicted to substances, may be a good start...but of course for any such thing to happen is closer to science fiction ?...who knows...

Edited by observer90210

24 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

A nationwide random sweep  surprise test on all members of parliament, ministers, governers, policy  makers members of the judiciary, police officers, lawyers....

This dystopian action reminds me of my time when I served at RAF Marham. Tactical Evaluations; lovingly known as "tacevals" where s'posed to be just like this; a "surprise". However many a brave soul would always be able to wangle a leave pass to avoid this inconvenience. I see no difference whatsoever here should any such event ever happen.