Learner’s permit for car exist here? Teaching someone to drive.

mikey88

Is there such a legal requirement here...?

If I’m teaching someone to drive, Do they need some legal permit..? My Thai friends say no but I find that a bit hard to believe....what about insurance..?

14 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Do you have the patience to teach someone to drive or is this a prelude to divorce proceedings?  :shock1:

Lol......no no....serious question.

Do you have the patience to teach someone to drive or is this a prelude to divorce proceedings?  :shock1:

No learners permit as known in the West. Once you pass the tests a drivers license will be issued.

There are driving schools out there, with good teachers. Myself, I do not have the patience to teach someone, but others will not find this a problem. Ignore all those doom and gloom posters - there are good and bad drivers everywhere. Many places much worse than I have experienced here. Try India ...

I know of two locations of driving schools.

1. A bit north of Mae Jo on a small road south of the hospital.   https://goo.gl/maps/ogpPNoj9n562
  2. Another is near Mae Rim, a ways south of Makro just off Highway 107.  https://goo.gl/maps/5USPgKrMzaF2

There may be others.  One would think that they should be able to answer your questions.

Edited by MrBrad

21 hours ago, sharktooth said:

People here learn to drive?

I must be driving on the wrong roads.

The usual helpful comment!

I have always found that teaching a friend or relative to drive is the quickest way to fall out with each other.

I would recommend the use of a qualified/registered driving school/instructor no matter which country.

Are we talking basic level i.e just starting and stopping etc. or full on driving on main roads.

Try using your own, or a friends Moo Baan, when it is quiet etc is another option for basic skills.

Edited by scottiejohn

17 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I have always found that teaching a friend or relative to drive is the quickest way to fall out with each other.

I would recommend the use of a qualified/registered driving school/instructor no matter which country.

Are we talking basic level i.e just starting and stopping etc. or full on driving on main roads.

Try using your own, or a friends Moo Baan, when it is quiet etc is another option for basic skills.

I advise a driving school for learners.    I think it's best they learn from a Thai speaker who hopefully will teach them good driving practices.

I used ID Driver school for my Ex and they were  outstanding.   I definitely felt the Ex was an astute  and aware  driver.

I did the school for her on both an automatic and manual.   All  results  were super.

Edited by watcharacters

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

6994FB08-B7C2-4975-8586-5176F15B908F.gif

22 hours ago, MrBrad said:

I know of two locations of driving schools.

1. A bit north of Mae Jo on a small road south of the hospital.   https://goo.gl/maps/ogpPNoj9n562
  2. Another is near Mae Rim, a ways south of Makro just off Highway 107.  https://goo.gl/maps/5USPgKrMzaF2

There may be others.  One would think that they should be able to answer your questions.

The one in Mae-Jo is very good, My daughter passed there. She only needed 5 lessons as I had been teaching her to drive since she was 16, so more of a refresher but in Thai and she also did the theory there. I found the best place to teach her to drive was near the reservoir on the 118 road before you go into the mountains. Not a lot of traffic and lots of space. Also if you go up to the reservoir there is a largeish carpark to learn reversing etc.

My wife learned to drive cars, both manual and auto with a school near the moat in Chiangmai. She had to get a licence first whilst she was learning (Ithink). They were very good and she passed her test first time, legally.

She has now joined the estimated 10% of Thai drivers who have a licence or obtained it without paying for it. 

Those without licences risk not being covered by insurance when they have a collision, although insurance companies seem to cover minor damage without insisting on a licence. It's the big ones they refuse to pay. 

All though 10 years ago, I taught my Thai stepson to drive when he turned 18. Used very quiet roads in the village at first, just get used to the gears, hill starts and reversing. After 1 hour per day for 10 weeks gradually introducing him to more traffic. Past his test at iddriver no problems.

On 22/01/2018 at 5:23 AM, jonwilly said:

In all my years I doubt that I have seen more then 4 cars from Driving schools in CM.

They do exist but it's very rare to see them.

john

Bangkok has quite a lot. Just have to be careful in choosing a good one. My daughter went to one passed her test and now she is a very careful driver

Edited by gandalf12

If you are a Westerner, and you're teaching a Thai, then they are going to be light-years ahead of the curve. 

I'm assuming you're teaching them skills like 'how to merge into traffic', and 'right of way', and 'basic consideration and civility', and 'how to maintain a lane', and my favorite, 'how to pass another vehicle without endangering yourself, the car you're passing, and any oncoming vehicles, and my absolute favorite 'Defensive Driving.' 

Truthfully, I would really like to know, how do Thai driving schools teach these skills.  Like merging onto a highway from a frontage road that actually has an 'acceleration lane.'  From what I can tell, given that most Thais will put one set of wheels into the left lane and one set of wheels on the shoulder, drive for a kilometer like that accelerating from 15kph (because they didn't stop at the stop sign, to 60 kpm in 90 second, and then as soon as you attempt to pass them, they floor the accelerator, push you over, then try to make it impossible for you to get around them so you can get back into the left lane.  I can only assume that is what is taught in Thai Driving Schools, because that seems to be the default behavior. 

So,  kudos!  Really!  And I'll looking for answers just like you.  My wife doesn't drive but I want her to.  But!  I'm going to allow a Thai driving school to have the first crack at getting her on the road, and after she 'graduates', and then I'll go back and correct all the completely stupid stuff that is patently wrong. But I don't know.  Maybe the schools actually do a good job, but so few Thais use them unless you're middle class or above.  Maybe most learn from other Thais who know absolutely sh*t* about driving.

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you like the person do not under any circumstances teach them to drive. Either you or they will no longer be friends after. If they can't afford it pay for them to have lessons with a professional.

Please read post 11.

I suggest it is often best to read a forum before posting a repeat comment!

On 1/22/2018 at 5:13 PM, scottiejohn said:

Unfortunately, the quality of Thai driving instructors is on a par with driving skills of Thais in general.

Perhaps a better option to tick any boxes is to employ a Thai driving instructor first, then teach advanced driving skills such as using mirrors and indicators later.

Unlike most countries, there is no provisional or learner's licence in Thailand. Drivers who wish to obtain a driver's licence have to either learn through driving school or at their own risk for not having a driving licence.

In answer to the OP's question, the only 'legal' way to learn to drive is with a registered driving school.  Any other means is a risk.

Source: Wikipedia

14 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Please read post 11.

I suggest it is often best to read a forum before posting a repeat comment!

Sigh. 

I suggest it is often best not to tell other posters what to do, unless they have been offensive, or broken forum rules, in which case one can report them.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

8 hours ago, HHTel said:

In answer to the OP's question, the only 'legal' way to learn to drive is with a registered driving school.  Any other means is a risk.

Source: Wikipedia

Probably true in LOS. By driving on the roads without a licence the "learner" would be driving illegally, unless the "teacher" is able to assume legal responsibility by virtue of their licence, and I believe that is not so in LOS unless the "teacher" is a professional.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

I thought now all new drivers needed to do 15 hours tuition with a registered driving school before they can get their licence.

Seem to remember this was brought in April last year.