Jomtien air quality?

B0nkers

Today the air seems FULL of smog(?), or do they have a burning season similar to northern Thailand, like Chiang Mai? Have seen it before as well. Had bad allergies today, went outside to find Jomtien was in a thick haze. I left Chiang Mai to get away from the air and ill affects on one's health. Same Same Pattaya?

Driving home from Pattaya to Bang Saray at about 4pm there was a definite haze in all directions. The tall condos along Ban Ampur beachfront, and the hills around the Navy Ratings School were in a mist.

No signs of burning though - probably just atmospheric conditions holding the dust and vehicle fumes down.

A rainstorm or good breeze in the night will probably get things back to normal.

Yup the air quality is very poor. 

180 knocking on 200 for Pm10

Should be in the 20s or lower. 

Turn on your AC and HEPA filters and close your windows. Retirement in the smog :-( 

Atmospherics are. Probably bringing air down from China. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very "murky" this morning in Na-Jomtien cant see tall buildings a little over 1 kilometer away. I think its mostly an atmospheric phenomenon but would imagine a fair amount of dust,dirt and vehicle/industrial fumes are mixed in too.

When thinking about whether to rent on a high, medium or low floor of a condo tower, is the smog any different higher up? I.e. does it only tend to go up 6 or 8 stories or is it even worse on say the 20th? I'd think you get more breeze and less smog being way up high, but don't know, iswhyimaskin.

Thanks for the replies. I moved away from Chiang Mai last March to get away from the poor air quality as it was causing health issues and probably not good long term regardless. Having the same symptoms here now, I think it may just be time to pack up and leave Thailand altogether. I love this place, but the piles of garbage, inch thick dirt of everything, and air quality is making me start to feel as though I'm living on the edge of a garbage dump and receiving all the health disbenefits you'd expect from that

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, B0nkers said:

I think it may just be time to pack up and leave Thailand altogether

The Pattaya/Jomtien air is not normally this bad but it does happen every year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_(meteorology)

Temperature inversion stops atmospheric convection (which is normally present) from happening in the affected area and can lead to the air becoming stiller and murky from the collection of dust and pollutants that are no longer able to be lifted from the surface. This can become a problem in cities where many pollutants exist. Inversion effects occur frequently in big cities

• Like 1

i live in a high level condo at cosy beach,looks over jomtien -koh larn...yes it has been foggy most days ,for several weeks now...two days ago,i had to  close bedroom window overnight,as bad smell was coming in from a local burning, but im not sure  what is causing the fog on other days{the air smells clear, but i do see lots of black dust on my furniture {i leave two ranchsliders open,all the time}. i have not experience this before,in the previous two years here....some days i cant even see the boats crossing to the island--- looking the other way, towards pattaya, it usually looks clearer  ????

• Like 1

On 1/22/2018 at 4:21 PM, B0nkers said:

Thanks for the replies. I moved away from Chiang Mai last March to get away from the poor air quality as it was causing health issues and probably not good long term regardless. Having the same symptoms here now, I think it may just be time to pack up and leave Thailand altogether. I love this place, but the piles of garbage, inch thick dirt of everything, and air quality is making me start to feel as though I'm living on the edge of a garbage dump and receiving all the health disbenefits you'd ehe xpect from that

I would have said '...a burning garbage dump...'

It has been like this since before the naval show back in November or earlier. There was a bit of a rain this morning and the air cleaned up, not for long though. Took maybe two hours for the smog to come back so strong you can't see Koh Larn.

On 1/22/2018 at 4:33 PM, johng said:
On 1/22/2018 at 4:21 PM, B0nkers said:

I think it may just be time to pack up and leave Thailand altogether

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_(meteorology)

Temperature inversion stops atmospheric convection (which is normally present) from happening in the affected area and can lead to the air becoming stiller and murky from the collection of dust and pollutants that are no longer able to be lifted from the surface. This can become a problem in cities where many pollutants exist. Inversion effects occur frequently in big cities

Observations.  I was in Jomtien a week ago and experienced the terrible sooty air (definitely not just fog as it precipitated soot on my car).  I'm now in Chiang Mai & find the air much better here (that's a turn around isn't it). But the air quality in Chiang Mai will definitely also disintegrate by March time frame - it does so on schedule every year. Perhaps there is an annual atmospheric / ocean / land relationship that creates the inversion pollution conditions Sattahip-Bangkok during Dec-Jan+ (as some have noted).  If that is the case I will continue to spend time up north Nov-Feb and head to Jomtien Mar-May. 

On 21/01/2018 at 11:36 PM, lou62 said:

Not sure what you mean? I was out and about at at 07.45 this morning and didn't notice any smog.

I live in Jomtien so perhaps it's area specific.

I walk in the mornings, on Monday I did not feel great and after my walk Tuesday I felt awfull,it was very low visibility out to sea and fog and pollution equal smog,after the shower yesterday it improved and after the rain today it's fine.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...