What is the best way to move files from your Android to your PC?

canuckamuck

I used to be able to hook up a USB and just search the phone file structure and grab what I needed. Now with Nougat I can't access through USB anymore. So I have to transfer files to the SD card and then physically remove the SD card and upload to my PC. I do not use clouds because of the stone age internet speeds I have up here. Is there a better way?

I'd reinstall the drivers on the PC - that may be your issue - check out device manager? Or just toggle the Nougat "N" for various options, you're probably using the default mode (charging), so just pull down on it and select file transfer.

But there are a gazillion apps which allow one to transfer files over various connections, like WiFi.

Just look in the Play Store. 

https://www.androidauthority.com/android-apps-to-transfer-files-from-android-to-pc-600659/

Sometimes I use myphoneexplorer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

I'd reinstall the drivers on the PC - that may be your issue - check out device manager? Or just toggle the Nougat "N" for various options, you're probably using the default mode (charging), so just pull down on it and select file transfer.

But there are a gazillion apps which allow one to transfer files over various connections, like WiFi.

Just look in the Play Store. 

https://www.androidauthority.com/android-apps-to-transfer-files-from-android-to-pc-600659/

Sometimes I use myphoneexplorer.

I have tried everything to get the USB to work, but when my phone upgraded to nougat that was the end of file share by USB, also the computer can no longer see my hot spot since the upgrade.

I will try some of those apps from your link. Still it was nice to just plug the phone in and have it be part of file system. Maybe a future upgrade will restore it.

16 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I have tried everything

On my Nougat and Oreo I get a pop up screen when I plug in a USB asking if I want charging or file access? You need to go to Android  debugging settings (under developer options - which may need enabling also) to turn on USB prompt option for file access?

23 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

On my Nougat and Oreo I get a pop up screen when I plug in a USB asking if I want charging or file access? You need to go to Android  debugging settings (under developer options - which may need enabling also) to turn on USB prompt option for file access?

Yes, go to Settings, scroll down to About phone, tap 7 times to enable Developer options, USB Debugging.

Then you should get the Nougat "N" in the topmost status bar when you attach a USB cable, which you can pull down to enable file transfer.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 2

On 22/01/2018 at 2:05 PM, canuckamuck said:

I have tried everything to get the USB to work, but when my phone upgraded to nougat that was the end of file share by USB, also the computer can no longer see my hot spot since the upgrade.

I will try some of those apps from your link. Still it was nice to just plug the phone in and have it be part of file system. Maybe a future upgrade will restore it.

Bluetooth?

7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, go to Settings, scroll down to About phone, tap 7 times to enable Developer options, USB Debugging.

Then you should get the Nougat "N" in the topmost status bar when you attach a USB cable, which you can pull down to enable file transfer.

When I tap about phone the device status opens up so can only tap once. If I continue to tap in device status I do get  a screen with just a stylized N on it. The doesn't seem to be any options on that page other than go back

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I just upload them to Google drive. It works both ways. I can open any file i have on drive with my android.

I did  some uploading to google drive, it does work, but it is not a good fix for transferring large amounts of pictures because of the internet speeds here.

4 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

My PC doesn't have bluetooth

Does your USB accept memory sticks?

If so get the USB that has a fitting for the phone and a standard size. Cost about Baht 600 but worth having 

Edited by gandalf12
  • Like 1

My Android phone has Nougat and I seem to be able to explore file structure using a USB cable from my laptop.

You probably need to turn on USB debugging in Developer options, although I didn't think it necessary in Nougat...

It is also possible the phone's 'skin'  has something in there. If it is a single file I usually just move it to Cloud (Onedrive).

I did have to install some Samsung drivers, and if I recall correctly, uninstall some software that interfaced with a previous phone from a different manufacturer. Hard to know which steps actually got things working!

Afterthought.... is the USB cable one that came with the phone or you have used for data transfer before? I have found one or two that won't work and may only be suitable for USB charging.

Edited by jacko45k

18 minutes ago, Air Smiles said:

Have you tried other usb devices on the pc to make sure the issue is not the pc?

Otherwise, if already tried rebooting phone then might need factory reset.

It doesn't work with my daughter's phone either, and I agree it might be my PC. I have looked for some setting that would allow or deny the use of a USB phone connection, but I can't find anything

8 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

It doesn't work with my daughter's phone either, and I agree it might be my PC. I have looked for some setting that would allow or deny the use of a USB phone connection, but I can't find anything

The next thing you want to try to confirm, if possible, plug the phones into another windows pc.

As for usb settings pc side, you might need to re-install usb related drivers as described in this thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/usb-devices-are-not-detected-on-windows-7/e8a5d90f-e996-4b58-bb48-0093ff734ab6

• Like 1

At this point it may be prudent to ask:

what is the make/model of the phone?

were you able to successfully connect before your phone's recent update?

what is the make/model of your daughter's phone? And were you able to successfully connect that device previously?

have you tried a different, known good working USB cable? Some only support charging and not data xfer.

have you tried using different USB ports on the PC, preferably on the back, directly from the MB.

have you examined the Windows Device Manager to see if there are any indications of issues with the device's drivers?

have you uninstalled the device drivers associated with the device?

are Developers options enabled on the device? Toggled to "ON"? Is USB debugging toggled to "ON"?

when you attach the device to your PC, do you have any indications on either the device or the PC?

can you successfully attach other USB storage devices to your PC?

I might: uninstall the drivers on the PC, re-start the PC, then reconnect the device.

Again, I've had good luck using myphoneexplorer (software for both PC and phone), assuming you have a local network (PC and phone on the same network). It does a lot more than file xfer, but it does work well, and is drag/drop, so easy to use.

http://www.fjsoft.at/en/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fjsoft.myphoneexplorer.client&hl=en

Edited by mtls2005

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...