Entry with expiring passport

Heading to Thailand in February. My kids both have Irish passports which don't expire for a few years but my Sons Thai passport expires on 25/06/2018.

Usually we use their Thai passports when entering because of the shorter waiting times at the Thai  Immigration desks and i also join them so the four of use get through quickly.

Will my Son be able to use his Thai passport with it being less than 6 months left on it or does that issue only apply tourists entering the country.

1 minute ago, Lite Beer said:

The rule for most passports is that they have to be valid for the length of stay.

A Thai Passport can even be out of date and he will be allowed entry.

Thanks. 

He will still have 4 months on his Thai passport when leaving 

10 hours ago, elviajero said:

He could enter Thailand even if the Thai passport had expired because he’s Thai and has a legal right to enter.

Yes, but entering on an expired Thai passport will make exiting more difficult.

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, but entering on an expired Thai passport will make exiting more difficult.

Only if they have a problem renewing their passport here. For most people that will not be a problem at all.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Only if they have a problem renewing their passport here. For most people that will not be a problem at all.

As I said, more difficult. having to renew in country is more difficult than simply exiting.

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

As I said, more difficult. having to renew in country is more difficult than simply exiting.

But not as difficult as it is to apply for a new Thai passport outside the country. For many people in many countries it can be mean a long trip to a embassy or official Thai consulate to get one. For some it might mean a trip to another country to do the application. Also a long wait to get it. 

• Sad 1