How to stay safe while in Thailand? Tips please

travelerjax04

3 hours ago, DDBKK said:

If you drive as much as you claim then you would be saying the "ghost-feet" 2 trailer trucks driven by young guys mao on yaba are the scariest thing on thai roads, not bikes which can only cause very limited damage as opposed to those clowns driving <deleted> knows how many ton trucks like they are racing cars. 

Riding bikes is perfectly fine. You just need to ride according to the traffic situation and the weather. It's not rocket science. Thousands of farang do it. If you're scared then that's down to you. Loads of us aren't. 

When I write that motorbikes in Thailand are scary, I mean scary to watch how crazy people drive them doing the stupid things they do. And if you're happy to drive them here and you say you're not scared just a little bit, it sounds like you probably don't understand your surroundings. Double bottom truck trailers, I simply stay away from them.

Edited by simoh1490

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

When I write that motorbikes in Thailand are scary, I mean scary to watch how crazy people drive them doing the stupid things they do. And if you're happy to drive them here and you say you're not scared just a little bit, it sounds like you probably don't understand your surroundings. Double bottom truck trailers, I simply stay away from them.

The person scared of riding bikes in Siam scorns those who are competent at riding and not intimidated to do so. 

LOL!

I think we will have to agree to disagree here. 

2 minutes ago, DDBKK said:

The person scared of riding bikes in Siam scorns those who are competent at riding and not intimidated to do so. 

LOL!

I think we will have to agree to disagree here. 

I've ridden bikes for more years than you've been alive!

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

i've seen two motorcycle crashes in two weeks here in bangkok (neither fatal but one nasty), one was hit by a bus and one was hit by a taxi, the common denominator - both were riding on the wrong side of the road. it is bizarre the obsession many thais have with riding/driving on the wrong side of the road.

Since the OP has not returned to offer a further insight, Romance Tour: Typically run by companies such as loveme dot com. Clients pays thousands of dollars to attend organised events/dances where they may meet allegedly respectable and available young ladies. These events are arranged in many countries around the world typically including Thailand, Philippines, Russia, Ukraine, Colombia, etc.

1:  Don't dress for flash. Don't bring any jewelry, no Rolex watch, nothing.  Wear plain Jane clothes.  A few shirts with collars (pollo type) are fine as well as regular dress shirt.  Showing off your gold chain is rarely a good idea here.

2:  Have copies of passport made in advance. 

3:  Watch going home late and using your room safe if you are drunk and with a stranger or two.

4:  Avoid the dark alleys just as you would in any city

5:  If renting a motorbike, make sure you are licensed and have proper insurance for that.

6:  Make sure you have proper medical insurance

7:  Put the slicker on where it needs to be on.

8:  Don't bring any valuables and don't pack them any that you bring in your luggage.  Airport luggage security is a bit suspect.

9:  Do have Hepatitis A and B vaccine series before you travel

10:  Watch your pockets.  Pickpockets, distract and grab is very common.  Front button down pockets, or small good old fashioned "fanny pack" under your T-shirt has worked well for me on a dozen trips.

16 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

Since the OP has not returned to offer a further insight, Romance Tour: Typically run by companies such as loveme dot com. Clients pays thousands of dollars to attend organised events/dances where they may meet allegedly respectable and available young ladies. These events are arranged in many countries around the world typically including Thailand, Philippines, Russia, Ukraine, Colombia, etc.

If anybody watched that USA "reality" TV show 90 day fiance, that nutty American guy marrying that Thai girl was trying to be part of a business running tours to Thailand. He had that wealthy friend who was bankrolling him to do some sort of fantasy tour business.  What a schmoozer