Non-B to Non-O. Questions about bank funds

Hi,  

I have been in Thailand over a decade with a Non-B through my employer.  I plan to change to a Non-O this year, Thai wife of over 5 years and two kids together.

Q1:  I have over 400,000 THB in a savings account, but it is a joint account in both my wife's name and my name.  Is this okay or do I need to move it to a bank account with only my name (I already have)???

Q2:  I read that you need a letter from the bank saying the 400,000 was transferred from a Bank outside of Thailand.  Is this true?  My money has been in Thailand for many years.  Would I have to transfer it out and then back in?  What are my options if this is required?

Appreciated,  

The 400k baht has to be in an account in your name only for 2 months on the date of application.

There is no requirement for proof the funds came from abroad to apply for an extension of stay.

FYI you will not be changing from a non-b to a non-o visa. You will be changing the reason for your extension of stay from working to one based upon marriage to a Thai.

• Like 1

Q1. If you want to use a joint account you should ask at the office you’re applying at. There is not set rule so it’s down to the decision of the person/s processing the extension. It’s pissible to use a joint account.

21 minutes ago, elviajero said:

There is not set rule so it’s down to the decision of the person/s processing the extension. It’s pissible to use a joint account.

I think clause 2.18 of the police order says it has to be in applicants name only.

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

Some offices may accept a joint account but will want to see 800k baht in the account.

Thanks for the fast information. 

Money was deposited in my own account today so my issues seem to be resolved.  Q2 was my bigger concern. 

Thanks to TV as well for making this an easy place to get information, at least a million times easier than "ask the office your applying at".  

55 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think clause 2.18 of the police order says it has to be in applicants name only.

Some offices may accept a joint account but will want to see 800k baht in the account.

There's nothing in the police order specifying a sole account.

They don't necessarily want 800K. Kanchanaburi office (2 years ago) said they would accept a joint account with a min 400K. No doubt others do too, which is why it's worth asking.

2 hours ago, action said:

Thanks to TV as well for making this an easy place to get information, at least a million times easier than "ask the office your applying at".  

Sometimes asking the office you're applying at is the only way to get a definitive answer.