59 Day Extension, Not 60 Days

I have a METV which has an enter before date of 28th February 2018. Last weekend I left Thailand and got a stamp taking me to the 20th March, but my flight back to the UK is on 26th April, so I intend to leave once more before the end of February. The weekend of 24th/25th February is perfect. If I get stamped back in on the 25th February then this should take me up to the 26th April, at least according to:

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadded.html

However, I was just looking at previous stamps. My most recent one was 20th January / 20th March, which is 59 days. Before that, 25th November / 23rd January, and before that, 15th September / 13th November. These are all 59 days.

So, I'm guessing if I get stamped on the 25th February, they will give an  'Admitted Until Date' of 25th April, which is one day short of my flight home. But I count that as 59 days. So am I counting incorrectly or does it mean I am not overstaying by a day if I go on the 26th?

Thanks.

The day you enter the country is day one of the 60 days.

The time and date counter will not work since it adds 60 days to the date you enter. If using it just use the day before the date it gives or only enter 59 days instead of 60.

If you enter on February 25th you will be stamped in until April 25th. Leaving on the 26th will be one day of overstay.

If you leave from either airport in Bangkok you will not be fined 500 baht and they will do a small stamp that your overstayed less than 24 hours.

Edited by ubonjoe
fixed typo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you leave from either airport in Bangkok you will not be fined 500 baht and they will do a small stamp that your overstayed less than 24 hours.

Did you mean to say "not be fined" or "you will be fined"? 

Will having a one day overstay cause any problems in future? I'd rather pay 500 baht than extend for 1,900.

29 minutes ago, Timbob said:

Did you mean to say "not be fined" or "you will be fined"? 

Will having a one day overstay cause any problems in future? I'd rather pay 500 baht than extend for 1,900.

That was a typo that is fixed now. It was meant to be not.

A one day overstay is nothing to worry about since it is so common. That is why they waive the fine at some airports.

People have had much longer overstays and had no problems because they had the stamp.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A one day overstay is nothing to worry about since it is so common. That is why they waive the fine at some airports.

People have had much longer overstays and had no problems because they they had the stamp.

Okay, great. Thank you very much.

I am leaving from Phuket, not either Bangkok airports. So I hope they have the same policy.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

People have had much longer overstays and had no problems because they they had the stamp.

You got loose finger syndrome Ubonjoe LOL. I got loose brain syndrome sometimes, far worse haha.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

From reports I have seen Phuket will charge the overstay fine.

Okay, I'm not surprised. I got a bit of a grilling by the IO last time I entered at Phuket (which is why I'm now not flying on my 'runs' out of the country). I'll get my 500 baht ready.

Thanks for all your advice. Very much appreciated.

Edited by Timbob
typo

Just now, Tanoshi said:

It's never good to have an overstay stamp in your passport.

Can't you change your plans and leave Thailand the following weekend, 3/4th March. That would resolve all your issues.

I can't leave the following weekend as my METV is valid until the 28th February. 

Last weekend we (girlfriend and I) drove from Phuket to Ranong and got the boat to Myanmar. I want to do the same again and she only gets weekends off. I could drive myself, but would prefer not to and I don't want to get a minibus (lunatic drivers). I don't want to fly either, as like I said, I got heavily questioned last time. So I think it's going to have to be the one day overstay. Not ideal, but probably best option.

16 minutes ago, Timbob said:

I can't leave the following weekend as my METV is valid until the 28th February. 

Can't your GF take a day off, then time your arrival back on 26th February?

Normally one day of overstay is not an issue, but if you have been getting a grilling from immigration, then perhaps best not to antagonise.

10 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Can't your GF take a day off, then time your arrival back on 26th February?

Normally one day of overstay is not an issue, but if you have been getting a grilling from immigration, then perhaps best not to antagonise.

Unfortunately she can't. She has a new job at a law office and is in the 'probation' phase, only getting national holidays off. Calling in sick would not look good either.

I'd rather not overstay. I will be back in the UK for 2 maybe 3 months so won't be returning right away, so hopefully this will help.

But I've got a month to decide so will think of all options. Maybe I should just pay 1,900 for a 30-day extension, even though I only need one day. If it prevents potential future hassles then it may be worth it.

Edited by Timbob

8 hours ago, Timbob said:

Maybe I should just pay 1,900 for a 30-day extension, even though I only need one day. If it prevents potential future hassles then it may be worth it.

Personally, 1,900 baht would be well spent if it gave me peace of mind.

• Like 1

I looked into changing my flight back by one day. I knew before I contacted them (Etihad) that it would probably be expensive, but worth asking just in case. They just quoted me £498!!! That's almost the cost of the entire return trip, so it's safe to say that I'll definitely not be changing my flight.

• Haha 1