Is Thai uncontested Amphur Divorce recognised as "by means of proceedings" as far as UK concerned?

gummybear555

Hi, have been searching high and low, even asking solicitors but can't seem to find the definitive answer so figured maybe someone whose actually been through it can tell me the answer.

Background: Me (British) her (Thai) looking to get divorce in Thailand Amphur (Bang Rak district office - the same place we were married). I'm very keen on this divorce being recognised in the UK...

As per this document, https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-divorces-set13/overseas-divorces-set13 - if Amphur uncontested divorce is classified as a divorce "BY MEANS OF PROCEEDINGS" i should be fine as we satisfy the recognition criteria, however if Amphur divorce is classified as "OTHERWISE THAN BY MEANS OF PROCEEDINGS" divorce will not be recognised in UK and give me future complications (because we had been residing in UK for 12 months)

Do you know which it is? Is Amphur uncontested divorce as far as UK courts are concerned "by means of proceedings" or not?

Many thanks in advance! 

myself ,as per you, wife is still in aus, i applied for divorce in udon thani, it was uncontested, judge looked at all aus law and thai law ,thoughly, for weeks, then advised that divorce is recognised in both countries,  i could have had half her village house, but just moved on

GummyBear555

I am from the UK and my Ex and I were married and divorced at Bang Rak. My ex came to the Uk also and has settlement visa. 

we have been divorced since 2012 and i have since  re married at bang Rak also and have 2 lovley kids and wife who is also in the Uk with me.

All I had to do was to show the divorce papers and a new affirmation to marry form at the Uk embassy and that was it! No questions from the Uk GOV at all even when we applied for new wifes visa.

the whole process took about 30 mins  

good luck 

@jbatch83 kind thanks for your reply, can i ask you... at the time you were divorced in Amphur, were either you or your ex-habitually resident in UK throughout the period of one year immediately preceding the date of divorce?

If your answer is yes, than i think my divorcing in Thailand is foolproof and does confirm that Amphur divorce is "by means of proceeding"

Glad to hear that everything has worked out for you! Looking forward to my 'fairytale ending' also :smile:

Cheers

@gummybear555

At the time of the divorce i was and am still resident in the  UK (born and bread ) and my now ex had her extension to stay on here settlement visa already for about 3 years. i believe she is still there also but any where near thank god lol.

To be honest it was really easy to do.

good luck to you