Video: Police slammed as ten wheel truck plows into car at country "checkpoint"

webfact

A safe braking distance is the distance you leave from your vehicle, to  the vehicle in front of you. Thais drivers see this as the room that you have allowed to overtake you! That is what road-safety organisations through-out the world would teach (imho). 

Road safety and Thai driving knowledge/skill base are a few words you will never see in a sentence again for a long, long time!

Road-stops = tea money. Still occurring. 

A driver should always maintain stopping distance. That said, I have seen several dangerous 'checkpoints' right after turns on Petch Kasem, the largest  highway, with cones or cops in all three lanes with traffic backed up for 500 m. Extremely dangerous for everyone, cops included. 

There should never be a road checkpoint on any highway- except when there is a serious crime reported and the police are checking for the criminal.

I have noticed since New Year- these checkpoints are becoming more frequent and create traffic jams as well as accidents.  Supposedly, they were banned.  However, some cops didn't get the word.  I am hoping these videos when sent to the news organizations find their way to the right people to put a stop to this nonsense.

• Like 1

had an idiot cop jump out in front of me in Jomtien 3 weeks ago, he dodged helmet less thais, to make a grab at my motorbike, he must have had great 20/20 vision to see i was a farang under my helmet. it was a dam shock i can tell ya. still i did manage to avoid the scrum, <deleted>  clown. yes i am totally legit.

28 minutes ago, Covertjay said:

A driver should always maintain stopping distance. That said, I have seen several dangerous 'checkpoints' right after turns on Petch Kasem, the largest  highway, with cones or cops in all three lanes with traffic backed up for 500 m. Extremely dangerous for everyone, cops included. 

The first things you need to see with checkpoints are cones and signs not stationary vehicles or a person standing in the road.

On 29-1-2018 at 10:56 AM, shady86 said:

Saw the dash cam, cars are travelling at high speed and no way the truck can brake on time even the smaller cars managed to. Seeing the drivers, I would say they didn't look at rear mirror and anticipated the braking distance needed for the truck.

She don't have to look in her mirror, the truckdriver must keep enough distance to be able to brake in time.

He also has eyes in his head, and must partipate on time.

That's how easy it is.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Netease said:

Does anyone know what distance is recommended to keep when travelling at 90 kph

Is the '2 seconds separation rule' practised/enforced?

Edited by tifino

12 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

She don't have to look in her mirror, the truckdriver must keep enough distance to be able to brake in time.

He also has eyes in his head, and must partipate on time.

That's how easy it is.

If the checkpoint is in the wrong place without sufficient signing then all your suppositions are voided.

If you want to assign fault for this tragedy you can blame every driver who fails to maintain enough distance between his vehicle and the one in front of him.  I taught traffic safety for a few years and the rule of the road was, and probably is still, two second interval between your vehicle and the one in front of you, and that time doubles for every roughly 15 KPH higher speed. 50 kph = six seconds following distance and that doubles on wet roads.  I will be the first to admit it, I don't follow the rules on Thailand's Hells highway and I doubt anyone else does either, but the fact remains, if you want to stop safely you need to be far enough behind the other vehicle in case a BIB suddenly appears in the road 100 meters away.  

• 3 months later...