how often are houses robbed?

orc

Neighbour in Chiang Mai got robbed twice in two years. Then he got 2 dogs, and havent been robbed again since. This was 8 years ago. Only one dog lives now, seems to be enough. Thai dogs are awesome guards. Unless you live in a rich mansion with a fancy car the thieves wont poison your dogs, they will just move on to an easier target.

Never.  You can't rob a house.  Only a person.  That being said...

First story:

I lived in a house in Rawai a year ago on a dead end, not too well lit with a wall with no spikes on top but had some cameras. I told my landlord it was not safe enough for me I wanted a dog.  He said no.  I moved out and got my dog(s).  Six months later his tenant had a home invasion and was shot twice.  The assailant was found to be in possession of property from several burgled homes in the area.

https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/russian-woman-shot-robbed-rawai

Second story:

A guy I know (prick) who was sleeping when someone came in and stole his phone and some important documents.  His gf texted the burglar (on the bf's stolen phone) and asked that he return the documents.  They showed up on the back steps not long after.  I'll bet dollars to donuts she was in on this one though.  Also Rawai.

Third story:

My first landlord here was a stickler for security.  Kept adding more layers.  Fences, barbed wire, spikes, cameras etc.  He had been a burglary victim before.  The one night in 18 months I left the parking area gate open two guys where seen on camera at 4 am sniffing around my bike.  I always locked the gate after that.  Also Rawai.

Tips:

1. Lack of security is like a water leak.  If it something can get through it will.

2. A burglar quote you will never hear "I'm a dog lover."

Edited by csabo

2 minutes ago, Chainsaw said:

Me neither, please post if you find anything.

I've lived in the same place in Rawai for 16 years, no robberies in my area during that time.

See posts 22, 23, 26 and 28.

One of the 3 maybe, one unknown, and one was not a burglary but murder.

31 minutes ago, Chainsaw said:

Maybe I should clarify for you. No robberies in my area of Rawai. (my Soi and other nearby Sois). OK now?

You ask 'please post if you find anything'. I posted the result of the query, as already posted earlier in the thread, and you give me this reaction.

A 'thanks' would have sufficed.

I'll wager burglaries in condos are a fraction of those in houses. Condo apartments have the following attributes:

Usually have security staff.

No window access.

Cannot be reconnoitered as a house can.

Access by balcony high risk.

Burglars don't know what's behind the door.

Personally, I've never heard of a condo burglary in Chiang Mai.

So 3 reports of foreigners beaten to death on Phuket by burglars?

I recall 2 cases of foreigners dying during a robbery, one on the Rawai-Kata road and one in Kata Noi, but those were not during burglaries. And both were quite a few years back now.
I remember the british guy bashed to death above his real estate business at the tesco intersection. His murder was never solved.

Bashed in his sleep with a big lump of wood.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, sebastion said:

I remember the british guy bashed to death above his real estate business at the tesco intersection. His murder was never solved.

Bashed in his sleep with a big lump of wood.

Yes, it was solved, and yes, it was murder disguised as burglary.

Over the course of more than 10 years, we had several items taken, but none were the result of a burglary or break-in.  In each case, the items were stolen by people who had access to the house (tenants, laborers and maintenance people).

14 minutes ago, sebastion said:

Please link me to where it was solved.
I can't find anything.

Took me 1 minute to come with this, https://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Police-closing-on-Stuart-murder-suspect

But apparently bit was a robbery and not a botched business deal as I remembered.

Also check PhuketWan, but can not link to that.

Edited by stevenl

Took me 1 minute to come with this, https://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Police-closing-on-Stuart-murder-suspect

But apparently bit was a robbery and not a botched business deal as I remembered.

Also check PhuketWan, but can not link to that.
Thanks. I couldn't remember the victims surname.

I've had a few things like a rake, a hoe and some TV cable walk away, but the neighbor's keep an eye out on the place when we aren't around and our dog keeps an eye when we are around. Almost 12 years at the same house. No big issues.

On 1/29/2018 at 7:46 PM, stevenl said:

I find it safe, no burglaries.

One poster here has been claiming for years and years now that the number of burglaries is going up and will continue to rise, see the previous post as well, but I see no indications at all.

Firstly, I have said I am reading more "reported" crimes, as in the media, than in previous years.  Not specifically, burglaries.

In relation to Phuket prison being over overcrowded, and the building of another prision here, are you suggesting prisoners are committing offenses in other provinces, but are being accommodated in Phuket prison, or are you suggesting Thai judges are handing out more custodial sentences? 

With the FACT that more prisoners are now needing to be accommodated on Phuket, what are you attributing this to????

Edited by NamKangMan

On 1/30/2018 at 1:49 PM, Farang99 said:

In 20 years in Phuket, never had a break-in. The fact that we always have dogs may be a factor, as  other houses in this moobaan have been robbed.

Having dogs seems to be a common theme on this thread for the prevention of being broken into. 

I suppose thieves will always pick a softer target.  Eg. a house with no dogs. 

On 1/29/2018 at 11:00 PM, YaiJung said:

I am not going to dig up links for you, but the ones I am thinking of are:

1. Guy beaten to death with golf club at 3pm in Nai Harn after waking up from nap and discovering thieves in his house.

2. Guy beaten to death in room above shophouse on bypass rd. News said it was robbery gone bad.

3 Guy beaten to death with large rock in bungalow in rawai in early morning while he slept. 5 or 6 am.

those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head, as I said.

There was also the Russian women who was shot during a break in.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-woman-shot-in-bungled-phuket-break-in-63664.php

6 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

With the FACT that more prisoners are now needing to be accommodated on Phuket, what are you attributing this to????

Possibly the lack of baht buses, or the expense of taxis/tuk tuks.   Can't get them off the island quick enough.

Years ago, a friend visited me (in Loei) at my little raised wooden house.  He parked his motorcycle just outside the wall/gate, which was tall roofing tin.  We were up on the porch talking for a short while.  Someone used the cover of the fence and snuck away with his bike.  We were probably 20 feet away.  I lost a cheap cassette player at that same house.  Someone jimmied the super-cheap padlock hasp.

I can't even remember last time I saw my door keys.

My friends and my parents in Europe tell me many times about burglaries that have happened somewhere in the neighborhood.

What happens here is someone jumps over the wall and grabs a phone or laptop, in Europe the drive the truck in reverse to the garage door and empty the whole house, and probably take the car with them as well.