Two Tragic Deaths on Mountain Road

snoop1130

Two Tragic Deaths on Mountain Road

by CityNews

death-on-moutain2.jpg

CityNews – Two dead following two fatal crashes on mountain roads.

Around 8am on January 28th, police received an accident report of a collision between a car and a bicycle on Chom Tong – Inthanon Road in T. Ban Luang, A. Chom Tong. According to witnesses at the scene, including the driver of the crashed car, a group of elderly cyclists were travelling to Doi Inthanon when one of the deceased, a 61 year old man, gained speed heading down hill and lost control causing him to drift into the opposite lane and crash with an oncoming car. He was reported dead on arrival at the hospital.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/two-tragic-deaths-mountain-road/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-1-29

Here in Florida we have bike lanes on many streets...After enough close calls from distracted motorists I refer to them as death lanes...It is no accident that Florida has the highest rates of cyclist/pedestrian deaths in the US...Of course I bet Thailand is way ahead in that unfortunate race...I ride on sidewalks now...Sure a moron can still run  me over but it will be more of a challenge for them to get over the curb...

6 hours ago, rogerluli said:

Here in Florida we have bike lanes on many streets...After enough close calls from distracted motorists I refer to them as death lanes...It is no accident that Florida has the highest rates of cyclist/pedestrian deaths in the US...Of course I bet Thailand is way ahead in that unfortunate race...I ride on sidewalks now...Sure a moron can still run  me over but it will be more of a challenge for them to get over the curb...

"I ride on sidewalks now...Sure a moron can still run  me over but it will be more of a challenge for them to get over the curb..."

Great, sod the pedestrians, eh?

Looking at the position of the traffic thats parked there,the bike and the body to me seems to be in the correct lane,also it seems to me the fortuner  has hit the OP coming down on the same lane.The fortuner seems to be tangled up with he OPs bike,indicating he hit the cyclist coming down that hill and draged the bike with him until he stopped.For want of better footage that to me seems to have been the case.RIP the OP.

Edited by patrick kennedy

People here think all cyclists are loons that barrel down the sidewalks. I get it. But sidewalks are for both cyclists and pedestrians. Or cyclists are treated as both vehicles and pedestrians — I ride my bike on sidewalks in Virginia despite the generous bike lanes.  You’re right about Florida’s “bike lanes” they are a joke that will abruptly come to an end in the middle of a road and it’s just so stupid — but worse — Florida’s sidewalks are equally as bad. Which sadly, is why I can’t bike to work anymore. 

23 hours ago, rogerluli said:

Here in the UK we have brakes and bicycle owners with brains, perhaps that is why our road kill in a year is less than a month here

6 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Here in the UK we have brakes and bicycle owners with brains, perhaps that is why our road kill in a year is less than a month here

You have perhaps not witnessed the behaviour of cycle couriers in the UK?

Or the people who ride, at speed on the pavement, through the shoppers around my local shopping area?

Or the people who ride the wrong way down the one-way street outside my UK dwelling? 

Low "road kill" is a testament to the discipline and care of others ("us all"), as is the case with the road death stats in general.

Yours,

A bicyclist (when in the UK).

Edited by Enoon

As a mostly full-time cyclist and pedestrian I reckon all motorists involved in accidents with cyclist and pedestrians should be assumed guilty until proven otherwise through dash cams, independent witnesses, CCTV. Far too often in this city motorists assume that if you don't have an engine powering your mode of transport that you're fair game and it's ok to put your life at risk.