Police seek alleged backers behind anti-junta protests

webfact

On 1/30/2018 at 11:23 PM, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Ah how soon the posters here forget how the Takky clan have paid and transported their loyal (money grubbing) minions to protest and hold Bkk hostage in the past, including the crowds that happily cheered and celebrated the murders of young children that got blown up by RPG's.

The junta is not perfect but Thailand is much safer and stable now than it has been at any time in the 17 years that I have been here. 

Yes , think how safe  the streets of Thailand would be if everyone but the military were incarcerated.

On 1/31/2018 at 4:30 PM, GarryP said:

Is everyone who does not support the Junta a redshirt to you? There are a hell of a lot of non-affiliated people who are fed up with this lot.  It is not just redshirts you know.  

And many of these people need to be reminded how crappy and violent things were for many years prior to the junta.

Be careful what you wish for.....you just might get it.

10 minutes ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

And many of these people need to be reminded how crappy and violent things were for many years prior to the junta.

Things got out of control, but what brought the army out this last time was contrived.  Brought about by people who could not get power through elections, and those who misused the color yellow to claim they were on the side of honesty and justice. Everything from then on has been about by hamstringing the "opposition". Just look at the latest actions being taken against dissent (peaceful dissent). The authorities are ridiculous and their leaders pathetic.  The opposition, authorities and the elite just can't accept that they can't win a fair election. Then perhaps they need to better serve the interests of the majority. For the Dems, they need to follow Alongkorn's suggestion, before he was given the boot,  to restructure and become a party for all people. But that will never happen because of self interest.  

Living in fear that your opinions may end up with you getting locked up, self censorship, etc.  is wrong in so many ways and not how I wish to live. So if there is indeed violence in our future (in fact I believe it unavoidable), but it brings about positive development then so be it. I am thinking about the future of the country, not for selfish reasons of a peaceful retirement. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2018 at 3:24 PM, GarryP said:

Things got out of control, but what brought the army out this last time was contrived.  Brought about by people who could not get power through elections, and those who misused the color yellow to claim they were on the side of honesty and justice. Everything from then on has been about by hamstringing the "opposition". Just look at the latest actions being taken against dissent (peaceful dissent). The authorities are ridiculous and their leaders pathetic.  The opposition, authorities and the elite just can't accept that they can't win a fair election. Then perhaps they need to better serve the interests of the majority. For the Dems, they need to follow Alongkorn's suggestion, before he was given the boot,  to restructure and become a party for all people. But that will never happen because of self interest.  

Living in fear that your opinions may end up with you getting locked up, self censorship, etc.  is wrong in so many ways and not how I wish to live. So if there is indeed violence in our future (in fact I believe it unavoidable), but it brings about positive development then so be it. I am thinking about the future of the country, not for selfish reasons of a peaceful retirement. 

I could not disagree with you more.

On 1/31/2018 at 1:23 AM, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Ah how soon the posters here forget how the Takky clan have paid and transported their loyal (money grubbing) minions to protest and hold Bkk hostage in the past, including the crowds that happily cheered and celebrated the murders of young children that got blown up by RPG's.

The junta is not perfect but Thailand is much safer and stable now than it has been at any time in the 17 years that I have been here. 

Ah how soon junta supporters forget that the protests were dying of apathy when the military stepped in to prevent an election.  Repression is great at keeping things peaceful, until everything blows up.

On 2/1/2018 at 10:28 AM, icare999 said:

IMO junta saved Thialand and I like many and most of our thai friends are very greatful they stpped in. MAny of us are perfectly happy for junta to stay in power if needed for decades much better than Taksin and co  

The junta saved the elite from majority rule, which is all they meant to do.

But hey, so long as a few farangs like military rule, why let the Thai people choose their government through elections?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2018 at 2:50 AM, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

I assume you are in Bangkok, and you think that Bangkok represents all of Thailand.

Things were fine outside of Bangkok before the coup, and have gone down hill since the coup.  Also, Bangkok would have been peaceful if Thailand did not have an established precedent of the military stepping in to overthrow elected governments whenever the Bangkok elite fear they are losing control.

Edited by heybruce
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2018 at 12:44 PM, heybruce said:

Ah how soon junta supporters forget that the protests were dying of apathy when the military stepped in to prevent an election.  Repression is great at keeping things peaceful, until everything blows up.

The junta saved the elite from majority rule, which is all they meant to do.

But hey, so long as a few farangs like military rule, why let the Thai people choose their government through elections?

Which elite are you talking about? Taksin, Chalerm and his crew were not elite?

As for the majority, are your referring to the poor farmers that sold their voted for 500 baht a piece, that bought into a populist policy that caused so many of them to commit suicide because they couldn't get paid for their rice? If that is your idea of democracy then long live the junta.

Things are in no way perfect but people are not dying in the streets on a daily basis.

40 minutes ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

As for the majority, are your referring to the poor farmers that sold their voted for 500 baht a piece, that bought into a populist policy that caused so many of them to commit suicide because they couldn't get paid for their rice? If that is your idea of democracy then long live the junta.

Things are in no way perfect but people are not dying in the streets on a daily basis.

Vote buying was not as rife as you infer. In fact it was very limited. International agencies have confirmed this. And what little there was did not have an impact on the result.

"So many of them". How many? Yes, the policy was totally wrong and people who illegally profited from it need to be punished , but you are trying to infer there were vast numbers of suicides,  which is not the case. There were some and that is very unfortunate and sad. However, even without the rice pledging scheme, farmers have been getting themselves into debt for years and, yes, as a result commit suicide. This was simply exacerbated by the pledging scheme.  Many of the poorest farmers did not even qualify for the pledging scheme as they did not own the land they planted on.  

If you believe that the rice pledging scheme is the sole reason for support for Peua Thai, then you are misguided.  The 30 Baht health scheme, the building of concrete roads into villages, among others, but perhaps even more importantly, letting the people know that their voice does count, that they do have value, etc. I realize that this was done for selfish reasons by Thaksin and his lot, but he let the cat out of the bag and it is not going back in.  It is good that people have had their eyes opened. 

You are being either extremely disingenuous or ignorant with your "elite" statement.   

Edited by GarryP
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

I was referring to the elite that can only come to power through coups, as opposed to elections.

The election that elected the PTP was internationally monitored and declared legitimate.  Unlike the farce that "approved" the junta constitution.

You clearly believe stability is more important than democracy.  Dictators and autocrats around the world appreciate your timidity.

10 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I was referring to the elite that can only come to power through coups, as opposed to elections.

The election that elected the PTP was internationally monitored and declared legitimate.  Unlike the farce that "approved" the junta constitution.

You clearly believe stability is more important than democracy.  Dictators and autocrats around the world appreciate your timidity.

The all seeing eye obviously only sees what it wants to see...

• Haha 1