Wife dead as pick-up trying to overtake smashes into 18 wheeler in Korat

webfact

Wife dead as pick-up trying to overtake smashes into 18 wheeler in Korat

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A husband and wife in a pick-up had to be cut out of their badly damaged vehicle after an accident at 11pm on the Chai Badan - Dan Khun Thot road in Nakorn Ratchasima last night.

Dead at the scene was passenger Yannisa Srikhampha, 41. Her husband driving, Phiphop Srikhampha, 46, was seriously injured.

Hin Dat police said that Phiphop had tried to overtake going down the hill only to be faced with oncoming traffic. He lost control as he veered back into his own lane and collided with the trailer of an 18 wheel truck that did not stop.

Pictures of the Toyota Vigo showed the roof ripped up.

Police later stopped the truck in Dan Khun Thot. Driver Chart Maphijan, 49, said he heard a noise but didn't think it was anything serious.

However, later on when he felt that the trailer was acting strangely he stopped to take a look and was then arrested.

There was clear damage to the right side of his trailer.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-31

The driver claims he heard a noise ????  Then obviously he was driving with blinkers on as well . It was dark so anything trying to pass their lights would shine in his mirrors oooops sorry silly me this is lawless thailand the mirrors are set to check out his hair and how many pimples he has on his face .

Other than leaving the scene of an accident in which he was tangentially involved, what crime did the truck driver commit?

Leaving  an accident scene seems to be standard fare in Thailand even for the person who caused the accident.

Why did he get arrested?

I sympathise with the truck driver. A noisy ten wheel truck with close-coupled eight wheel trailer. A glancing blow to the trailer would not be felt by the towing truck although it might be heard. At the point that the pick-up hit the trailer it would be directly behind the combo and out of sight of the trucker.

I think the intended charge would be 'leaving the scene of an accident' but if you don't know about it........

14 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

This is not an example of smashing success....

no sympathy for someone passing on a solid double yellow down hill and at night...

fools....

I think if you asked the majority of Thai drivers what the double yellow lines are for they wouldn't have a clue. And most of those who do know would ignore them. It's the Thai way - you cannot discipline them.

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think if you asked the majority of Thai drivers what the double yellow lines are for they wouldn't have a clue. And most of those who do know would ignore them. It's the Thai way - you cannot discipline them.

I believe you're correct but even if they knew they wouldn't care.    It's better to get quickly to wherever they want to go.

I don't happen to ever  be in a hurry and if I was not retired  which allows for that, I'd simply allow more time to get to where I wanted to go..

6 hours ago, akirasan said:

"Hin Dat police said that Phiphop had tried to overtake going down the hill only to be faced with oncoming traffic"

"Hin Dat police said that Phiphop saw oncoming traffic but didn't give a rats".

FTFY

Although he probably flashed his lights to say he was coming "regardless".

15 minutes ago, wvavin said:

One pick up less on the road. That’s good news for all the innocent road users.

I'm glad you can find the positive in a woman's death. 

I hope that you will be happy when people find the positive in yours even if it is only " good news, the corner bar stool is now free"    

Your comment should be a comfort to her family

16 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Other than leaving the scene of an accident in which he was tangentially involved, what crime did the truck driver commit?

Leaving  an accident scene seems to be standard fare in Thailand even for the person who caused the accident.

Why did he get arrested?

No he would of got a stern lecture and said how sorry he was. Other words he did not give a rats arse  there was an accident and kept driving. What a mess wow that pick-up was?

7 hours ago, isaanbanhou said:

I'm glad you can find the positive in a woman's death. 

I hope that you will be happy when people find the positive in yours even if it is only " good news, the corner bar stool is now free"    

Your comment should be a comfort to her family

Issan for once i agree with you. I take no joy at people dying I take less Joy at people in charge of a vehicle not acting properly.  I can see here the truck was holding up the pick-up so the driver of the pick- up decided  "Ok i am tired of this truck i going to pass even though i can't see what is coming the other way. Called having no patience. Hence his wife died from that and he will have to live with that for the rest of his life  R.I.P. lady

On 1/31/2018 at 2:17 PM, Barney R said:

The driver claims he heard a noise ????  Then obviously he was driving with blinkers on as well . It was dark so anything trying to pass their lights would shine in his mirrors oooops sorry silly me this is lawless thailand the mirrors are set to check out his hair and how many pimples he has on his face .

Lights, cars and vehicles have lights?