Earth Rod on New build

Cashboy

I am in the process of building a new house.

I have footings of more than 1 metre deep with raw bar in them.Earthing.jpg.b39e3250c046efd1f0de212fec276942.jpg

Would it be advantageous to bang the earth rod in this hole and concrete it in when concreting this column support of the house?

Would there be any advantage in wiring an earth strap from the earth rod to the column raw bar?

You really should give the pinned topics a read.  The earth rod needs to be available for inspection.  IE: not buried in or under anything.  Crossy has described an "Ufer" ground where the steel structure is connected but it certainly wouldn't need to be done in the footing.  Roof structure would be the most common place for that.

As steve notes you really need to leave the rod available for the man to look at.

Our roof steel actually measures better than our 2m copper clad steel rod, we didn't intentionally design it as Ufer it just worked out that way, our 16m driven piles evidently help.

Ufer (concrete encased electrode) grounds are very good, they actually seem to be the preferred method in the US. Leave a bit of re-bar poking out of a convenient column near where you intend putting your dizzy board.

Sadly the Thai regs don't recognise them, but nothing to stop you linking it up once you've passed the PEA "inspection".

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly.

I was going to bang the earth rod into the ground between the raw bar  in the footing.

Concrete the footing withthe raw bar sticking out.

Then connect an earth strap from the earth rod to the raw bar in the column.

Also later connect the earth from the earth rod to the earth in the consumer unit.

Also later connect an earth strap from the steel roof trusses that are welded to the raw bar of the column to the counsumer unit.

The idea of concreting the earth rod was because I read that the copper raw bars disintegrate with time in the earth.

Archived