No longer in love with Thailand!

peperobi

No longer in love with Thailand

No, no, no and again no. This is not about the typical Thailand bashing, but a reassessment of expectations - realistic and unrealistic - and reality. I came to Thailand many years ago and did not expect to find the answers to my life goals here. It was an experience, one I would not want to miss, but now, many years later, my goals have changed, as with many other people as they get older. I wonder if Thailand is the right answer for the autumn of my life?

First of all, if I left, there would be a group that would be a major reason. These are the "If you do not like it here, then go" types. You know them too. Head in the sand, butts in the air, and problems do not exist. That's what I call the Ostrich syndrome. There is no place in the world that is perfect, and everywhere there are problems, big or small, and ignoring them or denying that they exist in Thailand says more about these people than about me.

If I went, that would be against the trend, because I have more than when I came. This is an exception for Farangs in Thailand. I do not call myself rich, and that was never my goal, I did not come here to make money or run away from my previous life, I came here to find a better balance in my life, hopefully, learn something new and to make new experiences.

So what are the factors that make revaluation necessary? A favorite hate object for almost everyone is driving. Driving in Thailand is really hell, but anyone who has ever been to Rome, Paris, Athens or Delhi (in any Indian city) or in Rio or in African countries, will know that Thailand is not so different is. There are traffic jams, it is full and for any driver, it can be hell on earth. I would not put the blame even on certain drivers, buses, taxis, pick-ups, in every city lurking ignorant persons, also called buffalo, behind the wheel. But I admit that this stupidity occurs when someone drives too fast, changes lanes, cuts people, get too close, even though it's dark, does not turn on lights and plays with the phone. This combination is ripe for the Olympics. Maybe worth a gold medal you cannot be proud of.

Before I move on, maybe I should list the wonderful things about life in Thailand. Shopping, that you can buy almost everything around the clock in a supermarket. Germans can only dream of this, if they are here for the first time, they will be shocked by culture. The kitchen is considered one of the best in the world, the climate is fantastic - except perhaps between March and May, but there are refuges with air conditioning. The price-performance ratio is still good, even if in the last few years, everything was significantly more expensive. The subway and elevated train are among the best in the world, if admittedly quite expensive. In a few years, new routes will be added that connect the entire city center of Bangkok. There are many entertainment possibilities and also a few parks. It is also safe, which can be put up for discussion when it comes to specific places. Concern also causes mysterious deaths of farangs. In general, it is safe. This may not always be the case for crossing roads on crosswalks.

I would go so far as to say that Thai women are the prettiest in the world, even though they are now getting fatter. People who have known Thailand for at least ten years will confirm that. You can not understand women, it seems they come from Mars or Venus. On the other hand, which man wants to claim that he understands the women - no matter where they come from?

It is important at this point that I am rather not the religious type. I can not say if I agree or disagree. I'm more scientific about things, I can be very skeptical, but if nothing else, there are many amazing stories in the Holy Books. Anyway, I'm open to everything, and there has to be something spiritual, is not it? I can say that I received Buddhism with open arms. No, I have not gone all the way and now a disciple with Hari Krishna, but I have adopted Buddhism as part of the lifestyle, I like to visit temples all over the country, and I can say that I was in some places to go there to meditate a little bit. That's something I never did before.

Now I want to deal a little with the controversial aspects. This is Thailand