Americans expats -- what American foods/brands are you buying in Thailand?

Jingthing

Quaker Oats. Partly for nostalgia, but also prefer flavor and texture to Australian Arrowhead brand.

Kraft Parmesan cheese, but haven't been able to find it for several years now.

Blue Diamond almonds.

Morton salt, but haven't been able to find it for several years as well.

• Thanks 1

Tabasco....  Jiff peanut butter... Campbell's clam chowder.... Smuckers whatever... Pepperidge farm cookies: all made in USA. Last time I looked Skippy was made in China

Prefer Coke made here in glass bottles with real sugar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TGIR said:

fabulous stores of all kinds and restaurants from everywhere.  galore.  Italian, Chinese, Thai, French, Spanish, German.....you name it and you'll find it.

Well yes, if you ignore the O/P's question about "are you buying in Thailand" ... I wish I could have a Chicago made pizza, deli made pastrami, "real" bagels, a Chicago made Italian beef and sausage combo, Chicago Polish sausage, the American version of English muffins, the American version of Chinese restaurant food ... etc.

I have an obvious bias for ethnic stuff found in Chicago (or stretching to Wisconsin). Partly because I spent my first 30 years there, but mostly because such fare is better there than anywhere else in the world ... he said with all due modesty.

The last Johnsonville sausages I found  at Villa, I have to admit, seemed a little less tasty than they were before they disappeared for awhile. Got some Johnsonville Brats from Central's Tops in Pattaya that were good.

I have found some fairly decent bagels at either Villa or Tops recently ... but one time I grabbed some indiscriminately  and ended up with some bagels with cinnamon and raisins. That to me is a perversion of the natural order of things.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bubba45 said:

This might not be exactly the white tuna you're looking for, but if you've not tried this brand, give it a shot.  I eat a good bit of tuna, and I buy this one.  They have in brine, water, oil, etc.  I buy them all.  But note the difference in 'tuna steak' and I think the other is 'tuna sandwich'.  The steak is whole, not all crushed up pieces.  I can't recall seeing American brands here.

Oh, and I always add a little Kraft mayo - I'm on that mayo bandwagon, too.

IMG_0193.jpg

I used to buy Sealect but found it a bit fishy last year and switched to Nautilus in Spring Water and like it better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bubba45 said:

I found some very nice italian sausage at Rim Ping Promenade (during one of my nightmare immigration visits).  Unfortunately I don't recall the name.  But it had a white cardboard band around the plastic pack, and it had a pig on it.  I recall they used the words "artisan".  I bought a pack of the italian and another, and was impressed.  Of course if you're not in Chiang Mai.....

Thanks, but I'm in Pattaya. 

I've had some recommendations for locally produced Italian sausage here, but found those I tried to be disappointing, especially if they were called hot and/or spicy. I guess hot and/or spicy mean different things to different people, but to me  they just tasted bland and without a hint of fennel, oregano, etc. nor was there anything that might set your tongue aflame. 

1 hour ago, themerg said:

I live in Thailand. I have immersed myself in Thai food.

Based on the question asked I would assume those replying to it are all living in Thailand and most/many of us love Thai food  ... I do love it, although personally I've never considered immersing myself in it.  Nonetheless, without fear of betraying Thailand we can still long for the occasional change of pace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

americans are in general obsessed with american foods. I have noticed over the years, that when americans meet other americans, they ALWAYS talk about the food... Especially about foods they can not get :smile:

If american food were special, I could understand, but normally it is the 'americanized'  copy of a real countries' food. The only real american food is fast food (MacDo, KFC and others) :cheesy: And in Thailand, street food is much faster, tastier (and a lot more healthier) than american fast food.

PS No capitals out of political disrespect

1 minute ago, JulesMad said:

americans are in general obsessed with american foods. I have noticed over the years, that when americans meet other americans, they ALWAYS talk about the food... Especially about foods they can not get :smile:

If american food were special, I could understand, but normally it is the 'americanized'  copy of a real countries' food. The only real american food is fast food (MacDo, KFC and others) :cheesy: And in Thailand, street food is much faster, tastier (and a lot more healthier) than american fast food.

You're wrong. There are many American foods other than chain fast foods. But based on the OP, the really junky stuff is what most expats are buying! 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, DavidB4 said:

I used to buy Sealect but found it a bit fishy last year and switched to Nautilus in Spring Water and like it better.

I knew there was another brand I had purchased before, but could not recall.  Thanks for the reminder, I'll check when I go to the grocery later this week.

• Like 1

Lays - plain, Ruffles and BBQ - Thai packaging

French's yellow mustard - imported

Kraft BBQ sauce - imported

Jif extra crunchy peanut butter - imported

Heinz ketchup - imported

Tabasco Buffalo style wing sauce - imported

Morton salt - imported

M&Ms - plain & peanut - from anywhere

Oreos - from anywhere

Wish I could find Dr. Pepper locally... have to settle for regular Coca Cola, which mixes better with my Bacardi Black rum, so not a real sacrifice.

35 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Thanks, but I'm in Pattaya. 

I've had some recommendations for locally produced Italian sausage here, but found those I tried to be disappointing, especially if they were called hot and/or spicy. I guess hot and/or spicy mean different things to different people, but to me  they just tasted bland and without a hint of fennel, oregano, etc. nor was there anything that might set your tongue aflame. 

Keep an eye out at your local market, it's possible someone down there has this sausage.  I put some on the grill the other night and when eating the smell and taste of the spices you mention were there.  If I see them again (I usually don't go to Promenade, and Rim Pings are not consistent in what they stock across various stores) I'll get a photo of the packing.

• Like 1

I've always got some Tabasco in the cupboard but lately I've been using more of the local dried flaked red chile for the same purpose...the Tabasco is good for when I make eggs and toast fer breakfast but most days been makin' do with pork mama noodles, easier on the stomach first thing in the am...

lately been buying cans of S&W red kidneys and garbanzos since they been available at makro...a can of garbanzos rinsed and drained in a colander is something amazing to behold...perfect, succulent, etc...

I also buy American mustard. Specifically French's Spicy Brown. I like Euro mustards especially Dijon also but I guess my palate is American enough that I usually prefer the French's spicy brown for my cooking. I don't much like plain American yellow.

22 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

Who does southern American BBQ around the world?  Who does gumbo?  The modern version of what people around the world know as pizza was created in America, because Europe never had tomatoes.  I'm sure we could debate forever that one dish is a variation of another "real country's" dish (I won't ask what that means), but to say there's no real American food other than fast food is ign....wrong. 

And btw, no one that appreciates food will spend much time in McD's, KFC, etc.  And keep eating that street food, with its MSG and questionable oils being used.  Healthy???  I've given that stuff up because I don't trust the cook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to mention the French's spicy brown mustard that I always have in the fridge for the occasional ham sarnie...mostly use dijon for dressings and other cooking purposes, slather on pork loin, etc...I tried using French's before the dijon became available and it doesn't work...

3 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I forgot to mention the French's spicy brown mustard that I always have in the fridge for the occasional ham sarnie...mostly use dijon for dressings and other cooking purposes, slather on pork loin, etc...I tried using French's before the dijon became available and it doesn't work...

Yes, Dijon does sound better for pork loin which is not something I cook. But I use the spicy brown as an add to pesto for pasta and also for chicken salads and it totally works for me. 

dry pinto beans from Foodland for homemade frijoles

shredded cheeses (Kraft or Sargento) from Villa

Kraft low-fat cream cheese from Tops or Central

jarred sliced jalapenos and other peppers (Mezzetta or Casa Fiesta) from Villa

Rogue beers from Tops or Central

Campbell's soup cans from Tops, Villa or Central

Bob's Red Mill granolas and other product from Sunshine Market, Suk Soi 22, BKK

Garden of Eatin' tortilla chips from Tops or Central

S&W chili beans from most farang places

There are also several things I regularly import, either by mail or by carrying back from U.S. trips:

Tapatio and Cholula hot sauces, though the latter is available from Villa at a very dear price.

Several special brands of granolas (Bear Naked and Kind)

Trader Joe's peanut butter pretzels and reduced sugar jams

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

Watch out with importing peanut butter. Sometimes the stuff basically explodes out of the jar on the flight. Yep, happened to me. 

Peanut butter-filled PRETZELS exploding???  :smile:  I hope not!!!

ps - I don't need to import my own PB, because I made my own here at home using bags of Thai peanuts that I roast in my toaster over and then blend in my food processor. Nothing added or needed. 100% peanuts.  But at least in recent years, the local markets have done a little better job of stocking somewhat healthy imported PB brands.  But they run 150-180b per jar, and my bagged peanuts make the same portion for 40b.

Not pretzels of course. The higher end American all natural PB does taste better than the Thai. So I've imported bottles of it. But I don't think I will again. I use fancy methods to prevent messing up my luggage with burst bottles which basically  insures that TSA will open and inspect it (they always do). 

The funniest thing I import is some Chinese spice sauces, imported from China to the USA, imported to Thailand by me, not sold anywhere in Thailand!

Edited by Jingthing

Just a caution about "American" chocolates here, I stay clear of Mars brand products such as Snickers bars because, for some reason that's inexplicable to me, they're actually made in China and it says so in tiny print on the package labels. Never seen a U.S. manufactured Snickers bar on sale in Thailand. Do I want a Snickers bar made in China? NO!

Likewise, I think there may be a similar issue with some Hershey's products here. My wife just got a tin of Hershey's Kisses chocolates at home as a gift, and if you look at the metal box packaging, it's 100% in Thai language, and the only location listed is an address in Bangkok.