Multi-billion-baht scheme launched for rural development

webfact

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hi billd766

Thanks for your post; while I lived in rural areas in other Asian countries for many years, I haven't in Thailand and do want to learn a bit more (Koh Samui cannot really be described as 'rural' to my eyes).

I'll leave aside the issue of new trucks; you might be right re: the rice scheme (don't know), but as a 'development' purchase I simply don't have sympathy for truck buyers, whatever the reason. If your family is in debt because of the truck, sell it and walk is my view.

I find it is interesting that you mention the road network; my own opinion is that it is one of the most important but most underappreciated elements in rural development. 

It is good to hear about the water issue. You mentioned that the main crop used to be tapioca but that it is changing to sugar cane. Is there a reason for that? Was that a decision made by locals or based on input from outside? I am getting at the idea of whether there is good Agriculture extension work going on there or not. Any idea? Are outside ideas entering your area?

Are there any government-sponsored economic development projects? A new market building? Crop (or other) promotions? Any effort to find new markets for the tapioca and/or sugar cane? Any demonstration gardens for new crops? Is there any effort to introduce some kind of local industry for the off-season?

Sorry- lots of questions, but I am curious :smile:

Cheers

I think one reason for the change is that the price of tapioca is not that good around 2,000 baht a tonne. A reasonable crop gets around 4 to 5 tonnes a rai so on 10 rai of farm land you can gross 100,000 a year minus what the people at the station knock off if the crop is wet or had too much dirt.

In the planting stage it is labour intensive as the land has to be ploughed and furrowed by tractor. The stalks are chopped to 30 cm and planted by hand and after the first crop are sort of free as they are the stalks from the previous crop. Then fertiliser is applied by backpack sprayer and later weedkiller. Possibly more weedkiller 3 months or so later. At harvest time the stalks are cut down, the tops removed and the stalks stored for the next season. Then the land is ploughed up to get the crop, loaded into baskets and into a trailer or etan. Down to the station and weighed until the last load when the final tally is taken and cash paid. Meanwhile back in the field it is ploughed over again and cleared of any odd left over tubers.

The land is left for a while and then started all over again.

You need access to a tractor and a work gang of 4 or 5 people, family are cheapest.

To make a living 10 rai is not enough and the more you have or can rent the better chance of making money you have 100 or more rai is better and more economical. Having said that man saparang is a hardy crop and doesn't need much water, is relative disease free AFAIK and is low maintenance apart from sowing, fertilising, weedkilling and harvesting. It can also be left for 2 years and will give a bigger harvest.

It doesn't mind dry or wet conditions.

There is little money in it though.

I know little about sugar cane but I think it makes more money and less maintenance but it requires different machinery.

The biggest problem where I live is the lack of an adequate year round water supply.

I hope this is of interest to you.

I have a friend across the klong who does hydroponic farming but that uses a lot of water and he had to drill for a well. It is also quite expensive to set up though they do sell all their stuff at a good prive and reinvests in the farm.

Sugarcane is the next disaster area. A farmer friend tells me the price has fallen by nearly 50% - now 700 baht a tonne if i remember correctly. Like the mon sapalam (cassava) it is hard to make money at those prices, and definitely not if you only have about 10 rai. In fact, it is hard to find new crops to change too, as many are unreliable, farms have to be redesigned, new equipment, seeds and chemicals bought, and you have a learning curve. What is needed are factories to turn crops into non-perishable products that avoid the 'gluts' of over production.

I expect that most of the money will disappear enroute to the chosen end users, some will benefit, most will get nothing.

Better to just send a cheque for 1000 baht to every adult in the country. It would be a lot fairer.

On 2/2/2018 at 6:46 AM, steven100 said:

More good work done by this government to improve economic sustainability within the agricultural sector.

Projects are being implemented continuously which help create jobs and provide much needed income.

Khun Prayut Chan O Cha has always stressed the priority & need to help farmers throughout Thailand and this is just one program. Another program he implemented was the handing out of plots of land to farmers who don't have enough or others who need land.

30257464-01.jpg

A complete overhaul of the "education" machine might be useful too.