Sat Nav slow to find satellites

Austen74

Hi

I have just got a new Honda CRV 2017 and although I am pretty pleased with it the Sat Nav system is taking ages to find satellites and will often lose them altogether.  It takes on average 5 mins from setting out for the system to lock onto satellites which is ridiculous. I have already taken it to Honda  twice and they updated the maps the first time which didn't help then they dismissed it as being to do with bad signals on cloudy days!! Is anyone else having problems with their Sat Nav locking onto satellites especially in the new Honda CRV or any other new Honda models??

Thanks

That's rubbish the cloudy day bit.

New sat navs: are instant. My old one had an in car antenna that used to play up a bit at times. But the new set up (the wing on the rear of the car) works rapid. In my case instant and I never loose a signal even under the express roads in BKK. Old one different kettle of fish that used to go loopy in BKK.

I used to find that giving the old antenna a tap would make it comply. As Jtietz said get them to change the Antenna & wire that connects same. Suggest you contact Honda head office and have a moan, or try another garage. Not running down your Honda garage but they more than likely haven't got a clue what they are doing. Cloudy day indeed???

Edited by fredob43

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

What kind of car window tint film do you have and more importantly how thick? As those tint film can interfer with GPS signals.

I recall the previous model CR-V had the antenna mounted just under the leading, top center edge of the dashboard, towards the bottom of the windshield. Some tints are metallized so this could be the problem. Otherwise, the cabling needs checking/replacing or best-bet, pressure them for a complete new antenna under warranty.

The Antenna on the new CRV is the sharks fin on the rear of the car. That might be faulty. It can be changed with a new type antenna, looks the same but has a small rod that sticks out of the top. They seem to work better "allegedly"

It could of cause be a dry socket on the wiring I believe they have two plug in ones of those. Bit of a bugger to get to as they are both in the head lining, can be done with a bit of faffing about without having to take the whole thing off. It will mean taking the light out as well as the S/belt fixing though. Couple of screws to do that. Whatever you will need to get at those just to change the S/Fin.

After that you just need a socket (17mm???) to undo the single bolt that holds the Sharks fin and then replace with new one.

Better I think to get the garage to do all of the above as it's under warranty.

All of the above is what's on the old CRV. the new one could be a slightly different set up.

Edited by fredob43

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so a visit to a different dealer in Hua Hin confirmed the window tint issue. I have Lamina 60% tint all round and its a metallic effect tint so its blocking the GPS signal. I had thought it was using the shark fin antenna but not the case according to the Honda engineers. The type of tint can have a big factor on the signal apparently and Garmin systems are particularly sensitive to this. Bit of a pain. It connects under a minute on some days so guess I will have to live with it. I use Google maps navigation on my phone as backup anyway as its more up to date. 

Thanks for the replies. 

9 hours ago, Austen74 said:

Okay so a visit to a different dealer in Hua Hin confirmed the window tint issue. I have Lamina 60% tint all round and its a metallic effect tint so its blocking the GPS signal. I had thought it was using the shark fin antenna but not the case according to the Honda engineers. The type of tint can have a big factor on the signal apparently and Garmin systems are particularly sensitive to this. Bit of a pain. It connects under a minute on some days so guess I will have to live with it. I use Google maps navigation on my phone as backup anyway as its more up to date. 

Thanks for the replies. 

Lamina have a 'Special Series' film and one of those is definately ok for gps signal ... I had that one on our D-Max.

Lamina do five qualities of film ...Special Series is the top one ... 

Consider just changing the film on the front screen ...

Later I'll see if I can locate the Lamina info ... 

It was L75 that we had ...try google Lamina Special Series

Edited by JAS21

Also some dash cams can cause interference with GPS so I need to investigate this too. Have read stories of people wrapping their dash cams in aluminium foil to stop the interference to the GPS signal but again it depends on the dash cam brand and location of GPS antennae. Too much technology......