An alternative to Patong tunnel presented to NLA in Phuket meeting

rooster59

An alternative to Patong tunnel presented to NLA in Phuket meeting 

The Phuket News

1517655883_1-org.jpg

Patong tunnel is not worth it, Adm Amornchot believes. Photo: NLA

PHUKET: A meeting of the National Legislative Assembly's (NLA) members with Phuket officials and representatives of the people took an unexpected twist when a respected member of local community took the floor and presented an alternative to the decades-in-coming Patong Tunnel project.

A group of NLA members led by Adm Choomnoom Ardwong came to Phuket this morning (Feb 3) to have a series of meetings with local officials and get an update on how Phuket's most crucial problems are being solved. The first meeting was held at 10am at the Phuket City Municipality that that was exactly where and when the Patong Tunnel project added to the agenda by Rear Adm Amornchot Sujirat, an ex-deputy of the Army's Internal Security Operations Command.

“I really have some information to present to NLA. It has to do with Highway 4029, which links Kathu to Patong and where road accidents happen on a regular basis. Lot of vehicles use this road every day, and I don't know who had come up with the Patong Tunnel idea. Let’s forget about idea,” Adm Amornchot said before giving his reasons against the project and suggesting an alternative plan.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/an-alternative-to-patong-tunnel-presented-to-nla-in-phuket-meeting-65839.php#GaR5TPFom1QVW6UQ.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-02-03

The most obvious thing to do is open a road over the Chalong hill to Nanai Rd.
The dirt road is there but the forestry dept doesnt want it to move forward.

That would alleviate traffic both North and South Rds out of Patong.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

This character is obviously in the anti tunnel faction. I'm sure his concerns are not really related to the funding which Bangkok hands out in big dollops for other projects around the country.

The Patong - Chalong track has been mooted as a possible new route for possibly longer than the tunnel, but afaik has never passed environmental concerns.

While it would be very handy for many, it has a number of disadvantages. It is not a direct  route from the city, it would funnel traffic into Nanai road, whereas the tunnel plan will put the traffic into a better linking road.

Like Patong hill it also has to wind it's way over high terrain and could cause as many problems for heavy vehicles as the current road does.

A man who seems to talk sense (see below as well). This and a road from Kathu to Kamala have been mooted in the past. The basic routes for both already exist. With a further 4,500 units being constructed in Kamala and the Fantasea traffic the second route would ease a lot of traffic along the coast road.

These ideas make far too much sense and there is not the cash to be made off them that the tunnel (which will NEVER happen) would generate. IIRC the main objection in the past is that both routes go through protected land and breach the 80m rule (we all know what would follow the construction of the roads). The money made to date on feasibility studies is at least  B40 million. Is it feasible- no. I could have done it for free! Plenty of pocket have been lined already though 

The Adm is also backing the Kra Isthmus crossing. 

Edited by Psimbo

19 hours ago, Psimbo said:

A man who seems to talk sense (see below as well). This and a road from Kathu to Kamala have been mooted in the past. The basic routes for both already exist. With a further 4,500 units being constructed in Kamala and the Fantasea traffic the second route would ease a lot of traffic along the coast road.

These ideas make far too much sense and there is not the cash to be made off them that the tunnel (which will NEVER happen) would generate. IIRC the main objection in the past is that both routes go through protected land and breach the 80m rule (we all know what would follow the construction of the roads). The money made to date on feasibility studies is at least  B40 million. Is it feasible- no. I could have done it for free! Plenty of pocket have been lined already though 

The Adm is also backing the Kra Isthmus crossing. 

Some interesting discussion points.

I haven't heard much about the Kathu-Kamala link, and can see the advantages of such a road for some. However, as it would have to cross the highest part of the Phuket hills, and the fact that there is already a safe route from the main road via the Heroines circle would seem to make it a bit of a pipe dream. It's also not part of the solution nor discussion for Patong traffic.

Rear Adm Amornchot Sujirat, the man who has miraculously discovered an alternate for the tunnel may have vested interests. I note he was once on the board of  large resort when still on the intelligence committee.

Maybe it's just me, but when I hear BS statements like this, I wonder about agendas:

No one is interested in this project,” Adm Amornchot said.

"The extra benefit of this option is the possibility of connecting it to the projected light rail."

I can't find mention of Amornchot in relation to the Isthmus Canal, could you provide a link? 

My personal thoughts for anyone who gives a toss - I would like to see the Patong tunnel and the Canal dug, but feel neither will happen.

I would like the Chalong link road opened, but don't think it solves the big problems.

55 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Some interesting discussion points.

I haven't heard much about the Kathu-Kamala link, and can see the advantages of such a road for some. However, as it would have to cross the highest part of the Phuket hills, and the fact that there is already a safe route from the main road via the Heroines circle would seem to make it a bit of a pipe dream. It's also not part of the solution nor discussion for Patong traffic.

Rear Adm Amornchot Sujirat, the man who has miraculously discovered an alternate for the tunnel may have vested interests. I note he was once on the board of  large resort when still on the intelligence committee.

Maybe it's just me, but when I hear BS statements like this, I wonder about agendas:

No one is interested in this project,” Adm Amornchot said.

"The extra benefit of this option is the possibility of connecting it to the projected light rail."

I can't find mention of Amornchot in relation to the Isthmus Canal, could you provide a link? 

My personal thoughts for anyone who gives a toss - I would like to see the Patong tunnel and the Canal dug, but feel neither will happen.

I would like the Chalong link road opened, but don't think it solves the big problems.

Here's the canal link. https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-event-unveils-kra-canal-push-65837.php#IBxWHGxYDxP28I9q.97 The Adm was in for a series of conferences. Personally I think he is speaking the minds of a lot of people but we can agree to differ on that. The tunnel is NOT practical and will never happen IMHO.

I personally wouldn't necessarily say the route from Heroines is 'safe'- it's narrow between Cherng Talay and Surin and constantly jammed with traffic. Try getting past the mosque on a Saturday at 1800 when everyone has abandoned their bikes and are foraging for food.

It took me over an hour the other week to get from the PTT station outside CT to Kamala. The lights in Cherng Talay have been a choke point over the past couple of months as well. Ambulances are out that way on a daily basis for people who have crashed on the sharp bends.

With the restrictions for buses on Patong Hill you are fecked if you get stuck behind the 'China Buses' chugging along at 10kph along the coast road when the restrictions are in place. At peak periods there is a huge volume of vehicles headed to and from Fantasea. Although the hills are high the tracks exist at the moment and we crossed in 4wd's a number of years (10?) back. it would probably be in Fantasea's interest to back and part fund the project, bth from a publicity and practical point of view.

One could also cross over the hill from Kathu to Patong, dropping down by the lights at the end of the new(ish) middle road).

I would disagree that it is not a solution to relieve Patong traffic- the roads would reduce the traffic volume passing through Patong, which would relieve traffic issues.  Even if a tunnel were to be built the temple at the bottom of the hill will continue to be a choke point. If the Chalong route were to exit at the south end of Hasip Pee the only real solution would be to build a overpass over Nanai and connecting with 'Middle Road',  Nanai is too narrow and congested for larger vehicles. 

I realise all the above is pipe dreams though and people will continue to benefit from feasibility studies that are filling their pockets. In the mean time our traffic woes will continue.

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Here's the canal link. https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-event-unveils-kra-canal-push-65837.php#IBxWHGxYDxP28I9q.97 The Adm was in for a series of conferences. Personally I think he is speaking the minds of a lot of people but we can agree to differ on that. The tunnel is NOT practical and will never happen IMHO.

I personally wouldn't necessarily say the route from Heroines is 'safe'- it's narrow between Cherng Talay and Surin and constantly jammed with traffic. Try getting past the mosque on a Saturday at 1800 when everyone has abandoned their bikes and are foraging for food.

It took me over an hour the other week to get from the PTT station outside CT to Kamala. The lights in Cherng Talay have been a choke point over the past couple of months as well. Ambulances are out that way on a daily basis for people who have crashed on the sharp bends.

With the restrictions for buses on Patong Hill you are fecked if you get stuck behind the 'China Buses' chugging along at 10kph along the coast road when the restrictions are in place. At peak periods there is a huge volume of vehicles headed to and from Fantasea. Although the hills are high the tracks exist at the moment and we crossed in 4wd's a number of years (10?) back. it would probably be in Fantasea's interest to back and part fund the project, bth from a publicity and practical point of view.

One could also cross over the hill from Kathu to Patong, dropping down by the lights at the end of the new(ish) middle road).

I would disagree that it is not a solution to relieve Patong traffic- the roads would reduce the traffic volume passing through Patong, which would relieve traffic issues.  Even if a tunnel were to be built the temple at the bottom of the hill will continue to be a choke point. If the Chalong route were to exit at the south end of Hasip Pee the only real solution would be to build a overpass over Nanai and connecting with 'Middle Road',  Nanai is too narrow and congested for larger vehicles. 

I realise all the above is pipe dreams though and people will continue to benefit from feasibility studies that are filling their pockets. In the mean time our traffic woes will continue.

I read that article previously and again for a second time. Couldn't find mention of Rear Adm Amornchot Sujirat. The key speakers at the time were Royal Thai Navy Adm (Rtd) Soopakorn Boonranadiloak and Pakdee Tanapura .

I bow to your knowledge of roads into Kamala, it's been a few years since I went west from the monument. My safe comment was more about terrain than road users.

However, while I think it would be a great idea to open roads over the hills to various points on the west coast, I don't consider these type of roads to be the solution to the Patong heavy vehicle traffic. Which as we know, in the hands of Thai drivers,  continually lose all braking power on steep descents. A tunnel would be the only way to alleviate most of these horrific accidents. It would also cut down travel time greatly and solve .

You talk about building overpasses in Patong for the alternative over the hill roads. This would greatly increase costs to even rival the tunnel, and would bring into play a different group of people with vested interests.  (Starting all over again with the brown envelopes would negate the huge amount already spent!) With today's technology I don't think the hole under the hill would be the hardest nor most expensive part of the project.

Anyway, despite what this mere visitor thinks, the country belongs to the Thais who will proceed in the same way they have for centuries. Even if such monumental projects get the go ahead, I doubt I'll be around to see the end results.

9 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Any route using the southern end of Hasip Pee probably wouldn't be much better than the existing route between Patong and Kathu.  Hasip Pee is every bit as steep (if not more so) and winding as the existing Patong Hill road, and there doesn't appear to be a viable way to lessen the grade. I can't imagine tour buses and concrete trucks navigating that road. I agree that some sort of overpass would be needed to bypass Nanai, possibly terminating at the new road (Sai Kor).