City Water -> Fish Pond

surfdog

short question, can release city water to fish pond? is it chlorinated and how bad is that?

Long story—

Dug out swampy area and turned it into a pond with good banks. Stocked chitralda tilapia (sterile) and Gourami. Tilapia because sexed/sterile at harvedting age. But Gorami have been spawimg like crazy. 3 times and very high survival in past 8 months. Even though dug out marsh twice, snakeheads and climbing perch survived too.

So now coming into dry season.. and worried about my gourami. So many and so many babies and juveniles. Even the adults are small and nowhere near eating size.

So originally thought, just let city water in during dry season, and I’ll pump out water to irragate as well. Would clean the pond. I went for a swim and bottom mud i pulled up was free of gas and smell, so no issues now.

But.... now I realize, city water is chlorinated, can I realistically let so much water into the pond all the time?

I also have a well but it is only about 15 feet, it would be pumped dry within 20-30 minutes and takes hours to fill up. Turning a valve on the city water for 6 hours open seems easier.

I have 2” lines, so could fill up fast or should I reduce to somethimg small like 1/4” so to gradually release continually?

and what about this chlorine, doesnt it just evaporate?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Tilapia are hardy fish and Gourami are air breathers,so they should be OK,

when filling my pond (Koi), I clamp the end of the hose pipe with some 

adjustable grips ,so the water sprays at the surface,which gets rid of a

lot of the chlorine ,fill it slowly is the best way to do it. 

regards worgeordie

tilapia not worried about, I will start fishing them out with a bamboo pole and corn or pea bait soon.  The gourami I just want to raise them until they get very very big, I think they will look better than Koi  :)

I'll do that with the trickle of water, and try to spray it in, perhaps run a small jet sprinkler from the pumped water line to get more air.

Chlorine dissipates quickly, which is why I always take my water for pot plants from a pre-filled container. I shouldn't worry about the long term effects of chlorine, as long as the 'city water' is drinkable it shouldn't cause a problem.

If you are really that worried, and you shouldn't be. you can pick up a de-chlorinator from any tropical fish store, the brand I bought was "Monitor" and one small bottle seems to do the trick 

I only use it when I have to fill up my Koi Pond from scratch after power washing but it is not needed when just topping off the pond 

• 3 weeks later...

update, past week very hot and water levels dropped significantly as well as the water table. Also been pumping out pond water to sprinklers over 1 rai.

Been turning on 1/2” pipe to refill the pond for 2 hours every day. Seems like a perfect combination as fish waste pumped out to plants and clean water in.

Since the pond freshly redug 6 months ago a lot of suspended clay from that and from runoff from rainy season. This should help clear it up.

Visibility is about 5 inches... so would like more if possible.

Now doing a trickle on 2” valve, slightly open from 5 foot drop, will leave on overnight and see how volume recovers.

So far seeing no effect to royal lotus or fish from chlorine, perhaps becsuse introduced daily volume is only 2-5% of pond.

Seriously considering digging another pond, since the tilapia was so delicious, unexpected, I don’t like fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect