OA extension based upon Thai child not marriage

The wife has skipped off to Mama blissfully leaving me and our now 10 years old child behind.  The condo is rented in my name.  My Thai child is enrolled in school as a Thai and possesses both Thai ID card and Thai Passport.  Putting 400k in the bank isn't a problem.  My stay date ends mid-July.

I read in another thread, that marriage may be the only option.  She left.  She also left her bipolar meds so she isn't going to be expected to be cooperative or reasonable.  I could divorce her, as I'm sure she would agree to that, but is the timing a problem?

When do I need to put 400k in a bank account?  

It is not a OA extension. 

It is an extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai.

If you wife was to give you legal custody you could apply for the extension.

With your wife's cooperation a divorce could be completed in just a few weeks. She would have to give you custody of your son.

You would have to be prepared to change the reason for your extension on the date the divorce is effective.

• Like 1

There is no requirement for the funds to be in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply for an extension based upon being the parent of a Thai. Some office may still want it though.

You could start making plans for custody or divorce noe.

I have done this and if I were you I would leave with my child and take it to your own country if better in education etc. 

If you are over 50 you can apply for visa based on retirement, if that is possible then I would do that. You need 800K in the bank for two months before application date. On reapplying it is 3 months. 

The process for applying on having a child is complicated and normally requires the support of your Thai spouse. There are many complications. Pictures of you with yoyr spouse and child at your residence, school, lots of documents marriage certificate blue or yellow book. Copies of many documents. I got sick of it after 5 years of it. Now applying for retirement. The Thai government treats x pats who just spend their money in retirement better than those of us who are ligitametaly here to support our wives and children or just our children.They make the process as difficult as possible. 

If you intend to stay (which I ill advise) then go the court route and get full custody of your child. You may be able to get extensions to allow you to do this, depending on what visa you have now. 

I wish you good luck.

I got married in 2006.  I did 2 extensions based on marriage in Pattaya.  It's a bit of a pain but not too bad.  Once you have a child with your wife, the proving becomes less and less.  My wife is not going to put my son in an awkward position here by giving us any trouble over my staying here in the country.  It may be easier to just do the marriage extension again.  I am over 50 but I really don't want to move 800k here.  400k is bad enough.  

I have no plans to move from the country for the time being.  This, of course, could change based upon many factors involving areas I will not discuss here or anywhere in this very strange country.  I do not feel threatened as a foreigner here in the Kingdom.  If that changes, I will re-evaluate. 

I can do this 3 ways, and it all centers around cash.  My son is a dual national. He is enrolled in an English Thai School as a Thai, not as a foreigner.  It is clear, that he relies 100 percent upon me for his existence here.  I'm not sure how much proving one would have to provide.

10 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

I am over 50 but I really don't want to move 800k here.  400k is bad enough.  

But do you meet the alternative 65k monthly income requirement for a retirement extension? Or are able to make up the difference between 400k and 800k under the combo method?

42 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But do you meet the alternative 65k monthly income requirement for a retirement extension? Or are able to make up the difference between 400k and 800k under the combo method?

I am hesitant to put that much cash into a Thai Bank.  All options are open to me.  The Dollar to the Baht is not exactly favourable.  While my wife did run home to Momma, we have not started divorce proceedings so technically I am married, still.

1 hour ago, TonyClifton said:

I am hesitant to put that much cash into a Thai Bank. 

I quite take your point! Having had 2 separate accounts with separate banks pilfered by ATM fraudsters during my early days in LOS I also shudder at the prospect of having to leave as much as 800,000 THB to safely (or otherwise) season prior to applying for a retirement extension.

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Just a reminder: there is no combo method with the 400k option (though it is good to be aware of the possibility for the 800k for retirement).

34 minutes ago, OJAS said:

I quite take your point! Having had 2 separate accounts with separate banks pilfered by ATM fraudsters during my early days in LOS I also shudder at the prospect of having to leave as much as 800,000 THB to safely (or otherwise) season prior to applying for a retirement extension.

Open two saving accounts at the bank.  Tie only one account to your ATM.  Put both accounts on your online access.  Only keep what you need to use in the ATM account and keep the balance of your money in the account with no ATM.  

• Like 1