Ford 2.2 Ranger

yosib157

I have an older Isuzu 3L and have read many reports and seen videos on how the modern smaller diesel/petrol engines are as powerful or more efficient than the old bigger ones.

I am interested in the 2.2 Ranger with auto as the knees are playing up.

I would appreciate any feed back from any guys out there with the Ford 2.2XLTAuto

Thanks

Sorry cant comment on the Ford. But the new 2.8 Toyota lump is almost 50% more economical than their old 3lt one. My old 3lt Fortuner I would be lucky to get 12lt to 100km, new 2.8lt I get 6.2lt to 100km (That's on a steady run) It does have a new 6 speed gearbox so that helps by heaps.

How it would compare to a 2.2 Ford engine cant say, but I would assume they will rev a bit more to get the power. Having a smaller engine doesn't always equate to less fuel most times they use more.

Having a test drive cant see that would help they only last an hour or so. Toyo gave me a 2.8 Fortuner to test for well over two weeks and at the end of it I didn't have a clue what it did economy wise. Took me a few months in the new one with general motoring/runs to find that out. Now averaging 6.9/7 Lt =100km over all.

Whatever a vast improvement.

I had a 2.2 Ranger between 2011 and 2014 and was well pleased with the power, speed, torque, etc., when making longer distance trips. I wasn't hauling heavy loads but on the few times I did, I had no power issues which included the ability to 'plant it' and get out of a dodgy situation when overtaking.

I have a 3.2 now and the only thing the wife and I really notice is the 5-cylinder engine being a tad noisier than the 4-pot mil on the 2.2. However, I understand that this was resolved with the mid-2015 makeover. Still plenty 'power' and apart from an attention-getting burn when pulling away sharpish, I can usually get another chirp out of the tires when it upshifts to 2nd.

Both the current Duratorq engines are derivatives of the older 'Puma' units that have been refined over the years.The 2.2 has been variously found in Ford sedans, Land Rovers, Jaguars and Volvos and the 3.2 has powered a whole lot of Transit vans. They are not of the current generation of award-winning EcoBoost engines found in a limited number of their Thai sedan offerings.

Thanks for the responses guys.

The 3.2 is not on my short list, I can have the tyre bite going 2 - 3rd in my 3 litre.

Many online reports of all pick-ups are from overseas with different badging/specs even though assembled in Thailand.

Report on new Nissan with new 7-speed auto looked good but driver's seat only for a shorter driver. My 185 (just over 6ft) may be  a bit tight. Not too bothered about depriciation as this would be last purchase.

Looks like a visit to all major showrooms to check out availability/offers and go from there.

Archived