Authorities Deny Early February Smoke Is Hazardous

snoop1130

Authorities Deny Early February Smoke Is Hazardous

by CityNews

S__9150471-1024x768.jpg

CityNews – Chiang Mai Authorities have claimed that the levels of dust and smog pollution in the city has yet to reach harmful levels, despite many devices recording Air Quality Index (AQI) levels of over 150.

On February 6, Chiang Mai’s Pollution Control Department said that at the smog detectors at Chang Phuek, Si Phum and Chang Khoeng were reading a PM10 AQI of 93, 79 and 54 respectively. The department has set a rate of 120 AQI as the safe limit, despite all international air quality indexes state anything above 50 AQI is harmful for people.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/authorities-deny-early-february-smoke-hazardous/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-2-6
  • Sad 1

AQI at City Hall is stuck in the red since a few days, it was up to 169 now it's 157.

Everyone can be safe when breathing 24/7 in purified aircon rooms.

I wonder whether these "authorities" actually ride a scooter, a bycicle, or indeed ever walk outside for more than a few minutes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I was up very early this morning and as soon as I stepped out the door I was hit with a wall of smog. It tasted thick, stank and could actually see the millions of tiny particles in the air. Seems to be worse in the mornings, as this afternoon was no comparison. Still bad though.

On 2/6/2018 at 2:43 AM, sqwakvfr said:

I flew out from CNX Airport a few days ago and I could not believe how thick the smog layer hovering over the city was.  It reminded of the air in Southern California during the 1970's.  

And Socal cleaned up its act since then. Mostly.

Flew back from Singapore yesterday and on the descent the visibility was very limited(maybe 2 to 3 miles) because of the smog in the air.  For me the difficult part is adjusting to the poor air quality after spending time in places with good air quality(was in S. Korea and Singapore for several days).  Of course as soon as I stepped out of the terminal the usual throat and sinus problems started.  Then I know I am truly back in CNX.  I grew up in Southern California and the air feels/looks like I am back in Los Angeles during the 1970's.  

According to this website: http://aqicn.org/  the AQI for CNX at 0400 is 129(Unhealthy) but it's not all bad because the AQI in BKK is 158.  

Edited by sqwakvfr
Additional information