Thai "Market Stall" Movies stalled my Notebook Computer ; Malware Infection ?

Hi Fellow "Thaivisa" Posters,

I played some market stall dvd movies in my Toshiba net-book computer the other night.

I started to view the 1st movie without having firstly checked itwith MS Security Essentials Anti-Malware Software.

But, when I suddenly thought of that precaution, I did so ;

MS Security Essentials reported NO Problems.

Then I checked 2 other movies with MS Security Essentials.

Then I perused each by way of skipping onto consecutive scenes.

And, so I resumed playing the 1st movie ;

The movie played for a while.

But, then it stalled.

Along with the movie stalling,- my computer started flashing & also refusing to allow me to access the shut-down button.

I had to lower the monitor onto the keyboard, & quickly try to access the shut-down button ;

Which I did.

But, on repeated efforts to resume using the computer, I immediately had this problem again.

I discovered yesterday to my dismay that Toshiba service centre is gone from Siam Paragon.

Indeed, Toshiba computers are no longer imported for sale into Thailand ;

Ditto, by way of incidental info. for the reader, no longer imported for sale into Thailand also : Fujitsu, Samsung, & Sony.

How to solve this problem without being milked by the local milkers ?

Our Man in the Tropics

Edited by Our Man in the Tropics
  • Sad 1

On 07/02/2018 at 2:05 PM, Crossy said:

Don't resume, do a proper reboot and let us know what occurs.

By the way, to force a power off just hold the power button for a few seconds.

Thanks Crossy,

As u can see, with this thread & others started by me, I am a novice when it comes to suitable level of computer knowledge & skills for to be depended upon to be able to follow directions from the able users.

Re ; "Proper" Re-boot

1_

How to do a "standard" re-boot ?

2_

How to do a "proper" re-boot ?

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

On 2/6/2018 at 12:48 PM, Our Man in the Tropics said:

But, on repeated efforts to resume using the computer,

"Resume" is a return from sleep which I assumed you were doing. This wouldn't clear any untoward processes as they would simply re-start on resume.

To do a reboot use "shutdown" (I'm assuming Windows here) from the button bottom left.

If you have a lock-up and can't access anything then force a power down by holding the power button until things go off.

Either way will result in a full "cold" re-start when you power on again.

Just as a guess, without bringing malware to the table just yet, I think it is probably a combination of the pirate video format and the graphics card on your netbook not being able to cope with it.

What does your task manager say when you are running the video? What percentage of usage do you see on CPU/Memory/Disk/GPU when you run the video? If you are running at 100% in any of these, it could freeze (without blue-screening) your confuser, ie, not letting you shutdown/reboot correctly.

To access the task manager the easiest way is to right click on the taskbar and select task manager. Bottom left, click on more details................:thumbsup:

Assuming you are running W10?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Just as a guess, without bringing malware to the table just yet, I think it is probably a combination of the pirate video format and the graphics card on your netbook not being able to cope with it.

What does your task manager say when you are running the video? What percentage of usage do you see on CPU/Memory/Disk/GPU when you run the video? If you are running at 100% in any of these, it could freeze (without blue-screening) your confuser, ie, not letting you shutdown/reboot correctly.

To access the task manager the easiest way is to right click on the taskbar and select task manager. Bottom left, click on more details................:thumbsup:

Assuming you are running W10?

^^^ This

I can attest to the fact this can and does happen

due to a poor encode and/or a bad disk.

Been there, got the t-shirt.

Update ;

Technician at Pantip Plaza on being told the symptoms witnessed by other technician some 1/2 hour previously at other premises when I had my notebook there concurs with him that flashing icons & other delinquent behavior obstructing me in shutting down the notebook computer [ Win 7 by the way ; And, I no longer have the disk ] indicates that Chip-Set is the underlying problem.

And, they both say  that for my Toshiba Net-Book this problem is irreparable ;

Because,- the spec. of my notebook has the Chip-Set integral on motherboard.

But, ahead of consulting with authoritative Falangs,- I must keep open mind that perhaps the underlying cause is :

1_

different cause

2_

different cause + Chip-Set

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

Edited by Our Man in the Tropics

6 hours ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

flashing icons & other delinquent behavior obstructing me in shutting down the notebook computer [ Win 7 by the way ; And, I no longer have the disk ] indicates that Chip-Set is the underlying problem.

Yes, it's definitely possible to cook a chip-set on a laptop. But it's even more likely that the video driver is corrupt.

I'd rigorously test their theory by suggesting

1. Booting directly into the BIOS/UEFI hardware setup area (accessed by pressing some combination of F2, F10, F12, ESC, doing a double back flip) right after power on and before the OS begins booting ...and do those setup screen give you stable video output?

2. Create a USB Live Boot flash memory stick (that contains a bootable OS of Windows, Linux, or {other here} LIVE BOOT OS) and force the laptop to boot from USB and verify the chipset issue still occurs when booting into a completely separate operating system environment.
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2018 at 5:14 PM, Crossy said:

"Resume" is a return from sleep which I assumed you were doing. This wouldn't clear any untoward processes as they would simply re-start on resume.

To do a reboot use "shutdown" (I'm assuming Windows here) from the button bottom left.

If you have a lock-up and can't access anything then force a power down by holding the power button until things go off.

Either way will result in a full "cold" re-start when you power on again.

I sometimes take it a step further and take out the battery and disconnect from power for a minute.

Expect the computer to to a diskcheck on restart.

When rebooting following a power off, your computer should emit 1 beep,if more than 1 beep occurs the number can help in diagnosing your problem.

For instance my PC does not beep at all when I have memory chip issues(I remove the chips and clean the contact strips)

On 2/7/2018 at 2:05 PM, Crossy said:

Don't resume, do a proper reboot and let us know what occurs.

By the way, to force a power off just hold the power button for a few seconds.

In addition, if you are able to reboot (and after the computer does an automatic check disk) go to the control panel find the 'backup' &/or 'restore' and use 'restore' to restore the configuration to a date before problems occurred.

most likely coincidental. DVDs are not known to cause any failures per se. it's probable though that in your attempt to play the DVD, the graphics card went kaput. the problem may be a simple windows fault. i would suggest booting in safe mode and properly shut down so you could do a cold boot. it would also help others who want to help you if you could give as much information about your system - windows version, processor specs, hdd type, ram, gpu, etc.

This is the Toshiba repair center that I have gone to as late as April 2017.   I have had good service there. 

Toshiba Thailand Co., Ltd. 

Electrical appliance wholesaler in Bangkok, Thailand

Address: Vibhavadi Rangsit Rd, Khwaeng Chatuchak, Khet Chatuchak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10900, Thailand
Hours: 
Closes soon: 12PM ⋅ Reopens 1PM

On 2/11/2018 at 5:51 AM, RichCor said:

Yes, it's definitely possible to cook a chip-set on a laptop. But it's even more likely that the video driver is corrupt.

I'd rigorously test their theory by suggesting

1. Booting directly into the BIOS/UEFI hardware setup area (accessed by pressing some combination of F2, F10, F12, ESC, doing a double back flip) right after power on and before the OS begins booting ...and do those setup screen give you stable video output?

2. Create a USB Live Boot flash memory stick (that contains a bootable OS of Windows, Linux, or {other here} LIVE BOOT OS) and force the laptop to boot from USB and verify the chipset issue still occurs when booting into a completely separate operating system environment.

This looks like it's in English, but I got lost about five words (?) into item "1". Chuck it into a bin and buy a new one.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

Chuck it into a bin and buy a new one.

...especially if the thing you were using requires you first earn a new Degree or acquire Certification just to troubleshoot or configure.

Edited by RichCor
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2018 at 7:51 PM, RichCor said:

Agreed. Had a case like this recently and the problem was indeed the video driver.

How To Recognize Computer Beep Errors

A very short beep is indicative of a problem with your motherboard. It can also mean that you have a problem with your system memory (BIOS AWARD).

A long beep followed by three sequential short beeps signals an issue linked to your graphics card configurations.

A short beep followed by three sequential long beeps means that you have a problem with your system memory.

If you are hearing beep, pause, beep, pause, followed by two sequential beeps, the error is linked to your CPU (central processing unit).

Three beeps, pause, three beeps, pause, followed by four beeps indicates an issue with video memory.

One long beep and nine short beeps means there is a problem with the ROM (BIOS AWARD).

Three beeps, pause, four beeps, pause, followed by a beep signals an error with your graphics card.

Four beeps, pause, three beeps, pause, and then one beep indicates a system memory problem.

Five short beeps is another indication of issues with your CPU.

Long, constant beeps alert system memory problems.