All in a day's work as Thai cops praised for looking after drunk foreign tourist

Jonathan Fairfield

All in a day's work as Thai cops praised for looking after drunk foreign tourist

tr.jpg

Image: Thairath

The much maligned Thai police force came in for some much needed praise in the Thai media for their handling of a situation at a bus stop in Sattahip, Chonburi.

A concerned member of the public had called the cops after seeing a clearly inebriated tourist asleep outside Tesco Lotus.

When constables Wasan and Udomchai arrived they tried to wake him but he was unresponsive. He stank of booze.

But he had done nothing wrong and they were concerned for his safety - so they stayed with him for thirty minutes until sundown.

When it was clear they could be there all night they decided to take him in so that he could sleep it off at the Sattahip station before they attempted to contact his relatives.

The cops were concerned that if he was left alone he may fall victim to theft - he did have a smart phone sticking out of his back pocket.

Thai Rath said this was an example of some dedicated officers being concerned for the welfare of someone and not abandoning them. 

No one knew where he was from. 

Source: https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1197230

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-06

11 hours ago, pomozki said:

what a non-story. should farang be grateful they didn't charge him or steal from him?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Spelled that wrong there is a u in it. Just having a kip whats wrong with that? many Thais do, Oh i know he is a farang.

A farang is defined as a white westerner, the subject appears to be Asian or Chinese perhaps.

12 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The much maligned Thai police force came in for some much needed praise in the Thai media for their handling of a situation at a bus stop in Sattahip, Chonburi.

................Meanwhile there was a brief rise in burglaries, speeding, road deaths and other petty crime

9 hours ago, watcharacters said:

They waited until darkness came and then left?

I though most crime happened after the sun went down.

"When it was clear they could be there all night they decided to take him in so that he could sleep it off at the Sattahip station before they attempted to contact his relatives."

With a pseudo like watchcharacters one should be able to read properly:biggrin:

This thread and the comments reminds me of standing in line in a 7/11 some years ago when a Korean man went to the front of the queue and was served before those waiting in line, there's nothing new in Thailand about that since queuing is not a part of Asian cultures. But an older farang, a Brit as it happens, made eye contact with me and mouthed, "bloody Thai's they're all the same" - I ignored him. The fact is that most holidaying and recent arrivals to Asia wouldn't typically know the difference between a Thai, a Japanese, a Korean and a Chinese person, as evidenced by this thread, I'd always imagined however that most would understand the difference between an Asian and a westerner, perhaps not!

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

A farang is defined as a white westerner, the subject appears to be Asian or Chinese perhaps.

Quite right Simon, you'd never ever see one drunk westerner in Thailand...

A few thousand maybe, but not one.

:laugh::laugh:

14 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

That same police force of 2 cops saw a drunk foreigner, contacted their station chief who then told the media to meet the cops and make a feel-good story about how caring the police is. After the media showed up and had their story, the cops put the drunk in a cell to sleep it off.

In the mean time over 100 police were monitoring a one-man-satire-show for subversiveness, and undercover detectives charged a mentally disabled teen with threatening National Security for marching 500 meters with his father, and a National Police Chief absolved a former National Police Chief from receiving a 300mio baht loan from a fugitive.

Indeed, the force needs praise, among other things. 

It is good to give credit where credit is due.  In a world that seems so hell bent in tearing itself apart it is actually nice now and then to see something good.  Nice job officers and i hope with all hope that if i am a person that needs help one day that i will cross paths with good people only. One can only hope. Until then i will keep paying tea money at traffic stops. 

He did do something wrong, it is called public intoxication.  Now I don't suggest anything Draconian, but a fine would be in order.  And they don't check his ID or passport or visa?   I do love Thailand.. most of the time

Edited by gk10002000
add

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

That same police force of 2 cops saw a drunk foreigner, contacted their station chief who then told the media to meet the cops and make a feel-good story about how caring the police is. After the media showed up and had their story, the cops put the drunk in a cell to sleep it off.

In the mean time over 100 police were monitoring a one-man-satire-show for subversiveness, and undercover detectives charged a mentally disabled teen with threatening National Security for marching 500 meters with his father, and a National Police Chief absolved a former National Police Chief from receiving a 300mio baht loan from a fugitive.

Indeed, the force needs praise, among other things. 

The thread would hardly be complete without a whataboutism rant to diminish the good work.

1 hour ago, siamcrut said:

Well done BiB,

but can anybody explain why the cop needs to touch him for the picture?

Didn't they touch him to try to wake him up? And this shows our ace TVF: DSI investigators that touching indeed doesn't work and proves beyond doubt that they tried it to allay suspicions of lying and incompetence. Moreover it forestalls a barrage of sneers and expert advice that they should have just shook him a bit, heh heh. 

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

If no one knew where he was from, how do they know he was a tourist?

Because it's so totally obvious to anyone who knows how only a tourist would dress. 'Course if you yourself dress like a tourist, then you might not be able to see it.