New passport / retirement extension renewal

I'm running out of space in my (UK) passport. My retirement extension will need to be renewed at the beginning of May.

Which is better to do first, please - get new passport or get retirement extension renewed?

MAN, now that's a hard one...let me see...if you have only one page left, than you better get first the new passport. but if you have only two pages, one will suffice for the extention sticker...but than, what will happan if you go out of thailand? than you will need a space for the re-entry permit. still you can use the one page left, but what if you will need to go out of thailand more than once? than the re-entry stamps and the immigration stamps will repel your remaining page. hence the answer to your question should be - go get the passport first, but only if you have less than three pages left !!!

gees, i hope i got it right...

Agree with Ubonjoe,   as I had the same situation last year.  Get the passport first as it will be the most time consuming to receive.
Then get the extension on a fresh passport. This will avoid having to transfer the Visa Extension to the new passport, saving your time and a few baht.

Cheers!

The new passport will be back within the month, suggest you renew after doing your 90 days report as early as possible in February.

Not sure you will save anything with the transfer of old stamps.... your immigration office may wish to transfer the stamps first - then do the extension, not necessarily simultaneously.

In any event, getting the new passport first is the way to go - remember, you are credited with up to 9 months unexpired term.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I would get the new passport prior to doing the extension so that you can have the stamps transferred and the extension in the same trip to immigration.

A quick follow-up if I may.

I will be getting the new passport when I'm in London. I guess I just fly to Thailand with old and new passports, and show both to the IO at Swampy. Then I go to Jomtien with both passports, ask for the stamps to be transferred and get my new retirement extension.

Have I got that right, please? Are there any potential hiccups?

6 hours ago, Bazle said:

I will be getting the new passport when I'm in London. I guess I just fly to Thailand with old and new passports, and show both to the IO at Swampy. Then I go to Jomtien with both passports, ask for the stamps to be transferred and get my new retirement extension.

AS i mentioned to you, it depands on how many pages you got left in your passport. if there are 2-3 pages, than you better use the old passport. the visa extention is good for jsut one year. so when the year is finished - your old passport is finished too and you can apply for the new passport and get the new stamps on the new passport. this will save you time and hastle, and no need to transfer stamps

5 hours ago, Bazle said:

Correct.

No issues.

Obviously, you have a re-entry permit ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

But are Jomtien happy to do a stamps transfer without an Embassy letter?

I can't speak for Jomtien, but I doubt it.

I would suggest asking HMPO in London for a suitable letter...... explaining that it is a requirement in Thailand. You could perhaps take a copy for them to sign.

11 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I would suggest asking HMPO in London for a suitable letter...... explaining that it is a requirement in Thailand. You could perhaps take a copy for them to sign.

People have tried that but were not successful.

Sending  an email to the Embassy will result in getting one by EMS. Others have done it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

what means embassy letter?

Are you British ?

(I only ask because if your avatar represents your home country then it doesn't apply.... you need:-

U.S. Consulate will give  you a letter to transfer your visa/extension of stay.

Transfer Visa Ltr.pdf)

For Brits:-

Immigration will want to see a letter confirming your new passport when you go to transfer the permit/entry stamp. You should automatically be given a letter when collecting the passport.

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Are you British ?

(I only ask because if your avatar represents your home country then it doesn't apply.... you need:-

U.S. Consulate will give  you a letter to transfer your visa/extension of stay.

Transfer Visa Ltr.pdf)

For Brits:-

Immigration will want to see a letter confirming your new passport when you go to transfer the permit/entry stamp. You should automatically be given a letter when collecting the passport.

THAN this answer the PO question : better get the extention on the old passport. 

than, when the extention expired, go get your new passport and...no need to transfer the extention.

just get a new one anyway on the new passport (means, get into thailand with a 30 day visa waiver and

get the retirement extention on that new passport - only need to show 800K THB in the bank.

7 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

THAN this answer the PO question : better get the extention on the old passport. 

than, when the extention expired, go get your new passport and...no need to transfer the extention.

just get a new one anyway on the new passport (means, get into thailand with a 30 day visa waiver and

get the retirement extention on that new passport - only need to show 800K THB in the bank.

Why would anybody already on an extension of stay want to do it that way.

It would mean applying for a new non immigrant visa entry (2000 baht) and then a new extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Why would anybody already on an extension of stay want to do it that way.

It means applying for a new non immigrant visa entry (2000 baht) and then a new extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

YOU do not need a non immigrant visa entry to extend for a retirement extention. you can extent the 30 day visa waiver for free (if your country is eligible for the 30 day waiver).

2 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

YOU do not need a non immigrant visa entry to extend for a retirement extention. you can extent the 30 day visa waiver for free (if your country is eligible for the 30 day waiver).

It is not possible to apply for the extension of stay without a non immigrant visa entry.

It is the first requirement shown on the list of requirements to apply for an extension. See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

People have tried that but were not successful.

Sending  an email to the Embassy will result in getting one by EMS. Others have done it.

Oh! This is a hurdle I wasn't anticipating!

What is EMS, please? I'm guessing that EMS stands for Electronic Messaging Service but that you are not meaning email.

Do you have the Embassy's appropriate email address, please, or is it simply [email protected]

8 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Oh! This is a hurdle I wasn't anticipating!

What is EMS, please? I'm guessing that EMS stands for Electronic Messaging Service but that you are not meaning email.

Do you have the Embassy's appropriate email address, please, or is it simply [email protected]

EMS is express mail, like a courier. A step up from the normal mail. Door to door , trackable, signature etc

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

This misleadingly-titled PDF attachment (visas are never transferred, only current extension of stay stamps are) includes the email address you should use:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/491945/Visa_Transfer_Information.pdf

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2018 at 7:23 AM, ubonjoe said:

It is not possible to apply for the extension of stay without a non immigrant visa entry.

It is the first requirement shown on the list of requirements to apply for an extension. See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

that is not true. i got my extention on a 30 day visa waiver

On 2/8/2018 at 7:23 AM, ubonjoe said:

it is possible.

Edited by SCOTT FITZGERSLD

2 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

More likely that a non-O conversion was neatly sandwiched in between the standard 30-day stamp and your extension, I think!

13 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

No you did not do it without getting a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration.

13 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

it is possible.

No it is not possible.