retirement visa or marriage visa

Im an aussie married to a thai wife on a multi entry o visa and want to change it so i don't have to go on border bounces anymore im over 65 and going to the australian embassy in Bangkok to get verification of my income soon ( over 67 thousand baht)was wondering is better to get a retirement visa or a marriage visa ill have all the paperwork for both but i don't know wich one would be the easiest for me thanks

Retirement Extension of Stay.

Or Marriage Extension of Stay?

Both are pretty easy to do. The choice is up to you.

If you qualify financially for retirement it might be a little easier.

BTW you cannot work with the retirement option.

You can with marriage option.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Both easy, but ‘retirement’ requires less paperwork, and can be granted on the spot which saves an extra visit to immigration.

Yes, retirement less hassle but higher financial requirement versus marriage more hassle with half the financial requirement.

Based on the OP's 67k baht and my personal experience, I would recommend the "path of least resistance."

PS. Mrs Nan is also happier as she isn't in any way involved when it comes to extension renewal time.

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Based on the OP's 67k baht and my personal experience, I would recommend the "path of least resistance."

The 67k baht income is a little too close to the 65k baht minimum income for comfort IMO. It would not take big change in the exchange rates to lose the 2000 baht above the minimum he has.

Being 27k baht above the 40k minimum for marriage would be better I think.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The 67k baht income is a little too close to the 65k baht minimum income for comfort IMO. It would not take big change in the exchange rates to lose the 2000 baht above the minimum he has.

Being 27k baht above the 40k minimum for marriage would be better I think.

How about doing the extension on the basis of retirement if possible on the day of application, with a fall back of the extension based on marriage if it should be necessary?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BritTim said:

How about doing the extension on the basis of retirement if possible on the day of application, with a fall back of the extension based on marriage if it should be necessary?

That would be possible but it could be a rush to get the paperwork done for the extension based upon marriage.

Another option would be to keep about 100k baht or more in a Thai bank to use with the income to apply for retirement.

ozz1…  FYI – I did a fairly similar post last July with regard to Retirement v Marriage Extension.  There were over 65 responses.  A few contained stupid remarks, but fortunately the vast majority provided some good information/advice which gave me ‘food for thought’.

Some will say the marriage route is a big hassle with lots of extra paperwork, visits to your home by immigration, having to drag neighbours down to immigration, having to wait a month (or more) for approval etc. etc. etc.  Others will say that the additional paperwork is minimal and the visits by immigration were no problem.

As has already been pointed out, there is a difference in the funds that you need to show that you have in order to get either a retirement/marriage visa/extension or that may well be the deciding factor for you.

A couple of other points that were raised when I asked the question:

• With a retirement visa/extension you are prohibited from working.  On the other hand, with a marriage visa/extension you are allowed to work (you’ll still need a work permit).

• If your wife should pass away before you, your marriage visa/extension is still good up until the date that it expires so you’re not going to suddenly be thrown out.  When due for renewal you could then opt for a retirement extension.

• If you and your wife separate for whatever reason, you are still OK on your marriage visa/extension until it needs to be renewed then you may need to get an alternative visa/extension.  However, if you divorce the marriage visa/extension becomes void on the day of the divorce.  If you were unaware of this fact (thinking that you were still OK with the marriage visa/extension until it expires) then you could be in problems with immigration who would have grounds to arrest you as an over stayer and deport you.

At the end of the day, it boils down to what best suites your particular circumstances.

Best of luck and I hope that you make the right decision for you. 

• Like 2