small Farming with bokashi

Michub63

Hi everyone,

forgive my english.

Living near Chonburi province, I will soon try to farming in a small range, different kind of vegetables without chemicals. What I would like to know is if somebody had any knowledge about em and bokashi. I already use em-1 and em-a around the house for a few months, but it's not long enough to convinced. Does anyone using em technology?

Best regards

Michel

Hi Michel,

I have used EM for many years as have a number of expat gardeners and farmers living in Thailand. There is a lot of information in this thread and in the organic sub-thread. The secret to farming without chemicals is to work on feeding the soil building up organic matter and the biology so it can then feed your vegetables and plants. To do that you need enough biomass to produce composted organic matter to support the biology in the soil. So my advice is to have a think about what organic matter you can get hold of and in what volumes. It will need to be a substantial amount. The balance between carbon and nitrogen that you start with a C::N ratio of around 30 to 40 times the carbon to nitrogen. Your target should be working towards 10% organic matter in the soil. EM and local microbes will thrive if you can get to even part of that level. The microbes will then provide plant available nutrients to the plants and the plants will supply sugars to feed the microbes in return. 

• Thanks 1