Former police chief plays down "my job as a cop was just a sideline" comment

rooster59

Former police chief plays down "my job as a cop was just a sideline" comment

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTA1Ni81Mjg0NTc0L25ld3MxNi5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

The former police chief embroiled in the Victoria's Secret soapy massage scandal has tried to play down comments he made on TV that his high ranking position "was just a sideline".

Police general Somyot Phumphanmeuang gave the comment in a TV interview on Wednesday. He was talking after it was claimed he had received 300 million baht from "Sia Kamphon" the owner of the massage parlor at the center of human trafficking allegations.

Somyot tried to explain what he really meant in a letter to "all the police civil servants I love".

He said that what he was trying to convey was that most of his income came from share dealings in the stock market that was his own private matter. His police salary was just a minor thing in comparison.

He reiterated that he had never taken bribes or done anything illegal. 

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-10

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All his claims that he made the money on the stock exchange can easily verified as

he had to declare all profits and pay income tax,

as for a chief of a Thai police to say that he's not and never was tainted, well, a good joke

is a good joke...

An astonishingly stupid and arrogant comment from the ex police chief about how trivial his previous position was to him. He needs to put the spade down and stop digging. Maybe the authorities can check you are all paid up on the income tax front then with all that money you made on the "stock market." 

Just a small point on ".... He said that what he was trying to convey was that most of his income came from share dealings in the stock market that was his own private matter. His police salary was just a minor thing in comparison. ..."

To make the sort of money already on record for this character (hundreds of millions), seems to me:

- Hundreds of millions profit in share trading needs a very large amount of time in analysis of movements and trends and continuously finding a lot of other info on stocks. And quite some time in the actual transactions and the admin. involved.

- Where's the priorities

And, anybody who accepts the role of National Police Chief should be a person who has already displayed total commitment to the RTP chief role plus total commitment to his country.

This is a classic case of someone in power using that power and influence to cover up their criminal activities, for Thailand it is not a first and won't be the last, I am pretty sure there are thousands just like him both past and present.

54 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

This guy was on the board of Akira mining company as well i believe. Would not be a good look for the Australian company if asked why this guy was on the board and what services or expertise he provided.

I would suggest the services he provided were not to the company, likely to his Thai mates on how to take advantage of Akara. He did a good job then.

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

This is why you think before you speak of simply say nothing at all. Yes, your job in the police enabled you to make lots of money. The actual responsibility of your duties as an officer of the law was merely an afterthought. 

Thais in police think before they speak , April 1st here already.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Just a small point on ".... He said that what he was trying to convey was that most of his income came from share dealings in the stock market that was his own private matter. His police salary was just a minor thing in comparison. ..."

To make the sort of money already on record for this character (hundreds of millions), seems to me:

- Hundreds of millions profit in share trading needs a very large amount of time in analysis of movements and trends and continuously finding a lot of other info on stocks. And quite some time in the actual transactions and the admin. involved.

- Where's the priorities

And, anybody who accepts the role of National Police Chief should be a person who has already displayed total commitment to the RTP chief role plus total commitment to his country.

Sorry, that's wrong - it should read commitment to the Baht, the   greater the commitment the better. 

3 hours ago, sweatalot said:

A policeman - a public servant - being that rich looks fishy

He should understand that and that he ows the public

a clear proof that everything he did was ok, by the law and by ethical standards

He maintains his wealth has been established and built up through shrewd investments and share dealings. In that case there should be an audit trail through all the dealing instructions, payments from and too accounts for buying or selling. And presumably there has never been any hint of insider dealing or anything like that.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

This guy was on the board of Akira mining company as well i believe. Would not be a good look for the Australian company if asked why this guy was on the board and what services or expertise he provided.

As Police Chief he'd be an expert on security, the law, etc. As a financial genius his insights into investments would be invaluable. An asset to the board :whistling:

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

This is why you think before you speak of simply say nothing at all.

If you have the intention to revolutionize the mindset of uniformed influentials better go to a home store and chose the right design of wallpaper you'd prefer in your detention cell.

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Akira Mining Co.not listed on AUS Stock Exchange, nor listed elsewhere... 

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

This is why you think before you speak of simply say nothing at all. Yes, your job in the police enabled you to make lots of money. The actual responsibility of your duties as an officer of the law was merely an afterthought. 

He seems to be suggesting that his assets were the result of his investments, not his salary.  Some people have the ability to do that.

If he eventually became a substantial trader his sudden need for a very large loan could well be the result of a bad trading decision ending up with a margin call. 

Archived